• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This question is mainly for non-native speaker. It was school on the one hand but entertainment on the other hand.

Listening to Eminem extended my vocabulary a lot. Really if he did not exist I would not have had such a strong impulse to learn the language. Moreover I listened to Linkin Park. Yeah English music was the main reason beside school to learn the language.
Furthermore I wanted to read Mangas. (Japanese comics) And sometimes there was no German translation.

On the internet English is very very helpful. If you can search in two languages to answer a question this is pretty helpful. Youtube is another good tool to learn the language. The best content is mostly produced on English to reach the biggest audience.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
English is the worst language to learn. I hate that it's so popular.

Japanese is actually a much better language. And I'm not saying that because of some weeb influence or something. For instance, when you learn how to say japanese characters, you also learn how to read and speak Japanese words at the same time, because unlike english, Nihongo actually makes sense and is not needlessly complicated. That's just one small example but there are many.

Nihongo: バ = BA. ナ = NA. バナナ = BANANA.
English: B = BEE. A = AYY. N = ENN. BANANA ≠ BEE AYY ENN AYY ENN AYY.

It's stupid. English frequently goes out of it's way to not make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: bubo
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
I think it was mainly in school but things like tv, games, music and the internet helped. But I believe that my English is still not great.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

Japanese is actually a much better language. And I'm not saying that because of some weeb influence or something. For instance, when you learn how to say japanese characters, you also learn how to read and speak Japanese words at the same time, because unlike english, Nihongo actually makes sense and is not needlessly complicated. That's just one small example but there are many.

I disagree. English is in my point of view way easier to learn than other languages. For example the conjugation is very easy to learn. I would hate to learn German as non-native speaker. Even as a native speaker I hate the "cases" in my language. They are so annyoing. Though Latin is insane concerning the cases. Way worse.

G

ghqkiiia2

Jun 15, 2022

But studying Japanese brings a huge challenge! How many time I couldn't find the right object and subject. I think English is easier to learn, of course it's just IMO, no academic theory to prove.

Reactions: GentleJerk
castler

castler

Enlightened
Jul 11, 2022
Problem with our lang is with ALL the words/so-called words in the dictionary, hardly any of them make sense and even then their pointless after. Alot of words we dont use on a consistent basis. I barely use 100 words a day if that and don't have it in me to try to exercise other words.

DUOLINGO is a good free source for learning another lang. ALT to Rosetta stone.

Sibyl Vane

Sibyl Vane

Experienced
May 28, 2022
I have no idea, lol

I never made a conscious effort to learn the language, but I believe music, movies, and games must have helped me with that. Not too long ago, I started to read books in English; it's a great tool to expand your vocabulary.

Lebensunwertes

Lebensunwertes

Du bist auf dich allein gestellt
May 26, 2022

Why do you write Nihongo instead of Japanese? Also, learning English doesn't require learning 2400 separate characters and two 24 character syllabaries that change their meaning depending on the combination just to read a newspaper. Kanji to write the words and hiragana to write something that you can't write with kanji (lol), and katakana on top of that to write foreign names. Whereas with European languages you can express yourself using only 24 characters. So no, Japanese isn't a superior language (only a weeb or a Japanese would claim that).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashu
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Why do you write Nihongo instead of Japanese? Also, learning English doesn't require learning 2400 separate characters and two 24 character syllabaries that change their meaning depending on the combination just to read a newspaper. Kanji to write the words and hiragana to write something that you can't write with kanji (lol), and katakana on top of that to write foreign names. Whereas with European languages you can express yourself using only 24 characters. So no, Japanese isn't a superior language (only a weeb or a Japanese would claim that).
Why? Because "nihongo" means japanese language. if you just say "Japanese" it could refer to people, culture, country, literally anything to do with Japan. I write that instead of "Japanese language" because it's easier and quicker. It's like choosing to say "English" instead of Australian or American or British or etc.

English still manages to be 100X more complicated, even with less characters. But anyway what your saying isn't true. Japanese mainly uses hiragana. Sure there is a kanji for many things, but the majority of japanese don't bother to learn 90% of kanji, only the basic stuff they need. That's because Kanji is actually Chinese. Kanji is a relic from the past when they adopted chinese into their writing system. It's being slowly phased out. Besides, they're like pictures for words. See them often enough and you'll easily know what they say.

The katakana is only used for borrowed words, foreign words, and names, etc. Or for yelling and sound effects. The katakana is so incredibly easy, I learned how to read and write it in less than 3 days. Plus, the second you can read and say katakana characters, you will automatically be able to read every katakana word AND understand what it says. Without needing a dictionary. Because katakana is literally just the japanese way of writing sounds.

Also, particles. Learn the 10 basic ones, and you will almost always know the most important structure details of a Japanese sentence. I may not be fluent, but because I know particles, I can listen to any Japanese sentence now and always at least know if it's a question, a statement, directions, agreeing or disagreeing, and many more.

Any new language seems hard, but seriously, Japanese is a way more sensible and easy-to-learn language than English. The reason why the two find each other difficult is because they are so different. But as an English speaker who has tried learning multiple different languages, I was impressed by how sensible and easy Japanese language really is.

There's a reason why they say "easy peasy Japanesey"

Spanish is way harder too imo. My exes parents were from El salvador and Argentina. They both spoke spanish. But neither of them could fully understand each other even after 25+ years of marriage, because the language is so complicated, and they say many things differently.

Out of every language I know, I tell everyone that English is horrible with many confusing and contradicting rules, and one of the most overly complicated second only to probably Cantonese and Mandarin.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lofticries
Lebensunwertes

Lebensunwertes

May 26, 2022
Why? Because "nihongo" means japanese language. if you just say "Japanese" it could refer to people, culture, country, literally anything to do with Japan. I write that instead of "Japanese language" because it's easier and quicker. It's like choosing to say "English" instead of Australian or American or British or etc.
That's why you refer to context. There's literally no need to say "nihongo" or Deutsch or اللغة العربية.
English still manages to be 100X more complicated, even with less characters. But anyway what your saying isn't true. Japanese mainly uses hiragana. Sure there is a kanji for many things, but the majority of japanese don't bother to learn 90% of kanji, only the basic stuff they need. That's because Kanji is actually Chinese. Kanji is a relic from the past when they adopted chinese into their writing system. It's being slowly phased out. Besides, they're like pictures for words. See them often enough and you'll easily know what they say.

The katakana is only used for borrowed words, foreign words, and names, etc. Or for yelling and sound effects. The katakana is so incredibly easy, I learned how to read and write it in less than 3 days. Plus, the second you can read and say katakana characters, you will automatically be able to read every katakana word AND understand what it says. Without needing a dictionary. Because katakana is literally just the japanese way of writing sounds.
English isn't complicated which is proved by the fact that it's the only truly international language due to British expansionism. Saying that Japanese don't use kanji is completely untrue and only children's books are written completely in hiragana. Japanese even put up signs in rōmaji, because most tourists coming to Japan don't know their syllabaries.

I don't really need schooling on Japanese, because I learned it for 1.5 year and can easily say that for European it's much, much easier to learn English or any other Germanic language than Japanese. Seriously if you really have to bash English then pick Esperanto or something. Most people would not give a shit about Japanese if it wasn't for manga, anime and video games anyway.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
That's why you refer to context. There's literally no need to say "nihongo" or Deutsch or اللغة العربية.

English isn't complicated which is proved by the fact that it's the only truly international language due to British expansionism. Saying that Japanese don't use kanji is completely untrue and only children's books are written completely in hiragana. Japanese even put up signs in rōmaji, because most tourists coming to Japan don't know their syllabaries.

I don't really need schooling on Japanese, because I learned it for 1.5 year and can easily say that for European it's much, much easier to learn English or any other Germanic language than Japanese. Seriously if you really have to bash English then pick Esperanto or something. Most people would not give a shit about Japanese if it wasn't for manga, anime and video games anyway.
Yeah righto mate. Well I don't really need schooling on English, because I speak it better than you and have known it my entire life.

Of course you always need to refer to context, because the word has different uses and without it, it doesn't make sense. My point exactly.

English being more widespread, has nothing to do with it supposedly being a more sensible or better language. English is quite awful in many ways.

They don't use most Kanji. Look at that video. They literally say "we can just use hiragana" because most kanji is too hard. These are adults, not children.

Of course languages that are more similar to each other are easier to learn, such as German and English. Japanese is very different, that's why I said the two often find each other difficult at first. That doesn't make Japanese a less sensible or more tricky language. It's far less confusing than English.

Dude, I was criticising English back in Highschool, way before I started learning Japanese. Anytime a foreigner from any country says to me that English is difficult for them, I say don't worry, it's not you, English is a very difficult and often nonsensical language. This is coming from a native speaker.

Esperanto... Lol. You use an artificial language that was literally made by a Polish eye doctor to be as easy to learn as possible for all tongues, to back your point? It still doesn't change the fact that I believe Japanese is a more simple and sensible language than English.

...You don't sound like someone who learned Japanese for 1.5 years, so i'll just call bullshit and leave it at that.

PS video games rule.

Last edited:
Lebensunwertes

Lebensunwertes

May 26, 2022

Also, particles. Learn the 10 basic ones, and you will almost always know the most important structure details of a Japanese sentence. I may not be fluent, but because I know particles, I can listen to any Japanese sentence now and always at least know if it's a question, a statement, directions, agreeing or disagreeing, and many more.

Any new language seems hard, but seriously, Japanese is a way more sensible and easy-to-learn language than English. The reason why the two find each other difficult is because they are so different. But as an English speaker who has tried learning multiple different languages, I was impressed by how sensible and easy Japanese language really is.

There's a reason why they say "easy peasy Japanesey"

Spanish is way harder too imo. My exes parents were from El salvador and Argentina. They both spoke spanish. But neither of them could fully understand each other even after 25+ years of marriage, because the language is so complicated, and they say many things differently.

Out of every language I know, I tell everyone that English is horrible with many confusing and contradicting rules, and one of the most overly complicated second only to probably Cantonese and Mandarin.

Claiming that Japanese don't use kanji at all or saying that English is as complicated as Mandarin kinda undermines the that whole intellectual superiority sperg out. But okay, keep getting your info on the society from video street polls with 5 people in them.

Even the word "nihongo" that you use to call Japanese language is literally what the English term is: Japanese language.

Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Yeah righto mate. Well I don't really need schooling on English, because I speak it better than you and have known it my entire life.

It is precisely this that puts us native speakers at a disadvantage in assessing English, compared to non-native speakers. I've found that people often think their mother tongue is extraordinarily difficult, even "the most difficult language in the world", because they know it in all its richness and variety, but lack a systematic understanding of it, which increases the sense of its complexity, whereas when we study a second language we immediately get a sense of its order and structure, which can deceive us into overestimating its simplicity and rationality.

Reactions: rationaltake
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Claiming that Japanese don't use kanji at all or saying that English is as complicated as Mandarin kinda undermines the that whole intellectual superiority sperg out. But okay, keep getting your info on the society from video street polls with 5 people in them.

Even the word "nihongo" that you use to call Japanese language is literally what the English term is: Japanese language.
I never said that, and you know it.

Claiming that "you need to learn 2400 different symbols and two 24 letter syllabaries just to read a newspaper" is bullshit. Your full of shit.

Both hiragana and katakana are the exact same syllables. Katakana in particular is as simple as it gets. I literally learned it in 3 days and can now read and understand any word written in katakana without a translation or dictionary, that's how easy it is.

The vast majority of Kanji are not commonly used. Fact. Most Japanese only bother with kanji that's commonly used in daily life. I gave you one example and your still crying about it and trying to twist my words.

Why try to lie through your teeth and start shit? Is it because you allegedly flunked language studies after a year, and have some kind of problem with Japan?

Get over it.
It is precisely this that puts us native speakers at a disadvantage in assessing English, compared to non-native speakers. I've found that people often think their mother tongue is extraordinarily difficult, even "the most difficult language in the world", because they know it in all its richness and variety, but lack a systematic understanding of it, which increases the sense of its complexity, whereas when we study a second language we immediately get a sense of its order and structure, which can deceive us into overestimating its simplicity and rationality.
Uh... what? If anything, it's the exact opposite. Most native speakers of English foolishly take it to be simple, because they (assume to) know it in all it's richness and variety, but lack a systemic understanding of it as you say. Most native speakers of any language often take their language to be simple while judging foreign languages as more complex and difficult.

English is difficult. Definitely not the most difficult of languages in the world, but it's quite hard. Especially to master. I don't think I've ever met someone who mastered it as a second language, no matter how well they might speak it. There is a common lack of willingness to admit this on behalf of the English speaking population, but I will admit it.

If you are trying to learn English and think it's difficult, and often doesn't make sense, you are 100% right. It's not just you. As a native speaker, I agree.

When I was teaching English to Vietnamese, many of whom could speak more than a couple of languages, I was asked many times "why do we have to write it this way for sentence #1, but not for sentence #2?" etc. I would often have to tell them, there is no real reason. No hard rule. Occasionally there is, such as "an" instead of "a" when used before a word that begins with a vowel, but more often there is not. That's just how English is spoken or written, and admittedly, it often doesn't make sense.

The amount of times I heard my English teacher in university say the words "just because" was hilarious.

In Japanese, language rules are rarely broken like they frequently are in English. Sentence structures and rules are often refreshingly reliable. It might be back-to-front and difficult for people to wrap their head around at first, especially if they natively speak English- but there is almost always a rule, a reason, an order in which things must go. It nearly always makes sense. You simply need to understand it, rather than have to rely on whether or not words "just sound right" in each unique sentence.

That is my stance.

Last edited: