• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Ww42

Ww42

Student
Feb 24, 2024
I guess having a therapist is redundant for what im going to do, but I wanted to get all my shit off my chest to someone, but it seems like my therapist just doesnt bring up the topic of suicide despite me saying ive had an attempt in the past and think about it daily. How does ur therapist (if you have one) handle the topic?

ChiseHatori

ChiseHatori

Mar 2, 2023
Like many others, I avoided the topic completely with mine (when I still had one). She was honestly lovely, but the risk of being admitted was still too high.

I wish there was some way to speak to a professional about it without being admitted, but alas.

SomePersonIGuess

SomePersonIGuess

Not here for long
Mar 18, 2024
Aside from a basic few questions when I first started seeing her, she never pressed for info and hasn't really brought it up since.

C

cursedbynature64

Feb 23, 2024
When I started my sessions with her, she gave me the standard "If you tell me you are going to suicide, I have to report it, but you can still talk about it".

I am never going to be able to talk about it if I have to walk on eggshells with how I talk about it due to fear of being reported.

R

Rev346

I’m here but will I still be next year?
Oct 23, 2023
I've had one that was ok to discuss about it, several that calmly told me that it's not an option, and one that flipped out. But really, talking about it either gets you sent to the psych ward or gets your therapist in legal trouble if you CTB and they were aware of your interest in it. The system is essentially set up so you can't talk about it without somebody getting in trouble.

SomePersonIGuess

SomePersonIGuess

Not here for long
Mar 18, 2024
When I started my sessions with her, she gave me the standard "If you tell me you are going to suicide, I have to report it, but you can still talk about it".

I am never going to be able to talk about it if I have to walk on eggshells with how I talk about it due to fear of being reported.
Likewise. Often told to express how I feel, and I have completely lied about most of it. Only indication that they have ever gotten that something was wrong was when I was visibly distressed.

Reactions: WretchedDreams
L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
I vaguely mentioned how I was feeling and I got a suicide assessment shoved in my face and he proceeded to make a call that a doctor answered, right in the middle of the session. Nothing came of that time though I was too loose-lipped with another one and ended up with my first bona fide traumatic experience.

Therapists are horrible people to talk to about suicidal ideation.

S

saunabliss

Jan 14, 2024

What a shitty therapist. I would run if a therapist said that to me.

C

cursedbynature64

Feb 23, 2024
What a shitty therapist. I would run if a therapist said that to me.
I mean to be fair that is heavily paraphrased. Unfortunately she has to report it by law. I consider it more of a societal fault than one of any individual therapist. Ofc I do imagine some therapist's line of what counts as intent varies. But I am not willing to risk to find out where hers is. I still find her helpful cause I can talk about the reasons I want to ctb, I just can't say that I do want that.

J

juna

Death is the only truth...
Mar 4, 2024
It is pretty bad law I think. It stops us from fully expressing ourselves. I remember I talked to a psychiatrist about it and he just told my parents who were with me to not leave me alone. I think the laws in my previous country were better in terms of reporting but mental health is regarded as a taboo there. So, you can't really tell anyone you want to ctb or they will look down at you and think you are crazy.

Ash

Ash

Wizard
Oct 4, 2021
I've mentioned it several times and been able to have a good discussion about it BUT the key is to already have a solid relationship with your talk practitioner, "be of sound mind" while you're speaking (i e. It's all hypothetical) and if asked, to say you've got no immediate plans, that you just want to get it off your chest so it's not building up inside you. However, everyone is different. This has just been my experience. In fact, mention it often enough and you might even share my experience which is to have suicidal ideation listed as "normal behaviour" and nobody bats an eyelid. (Seriously: tried partial suspension, someone else called ambulance and crisis team, because my obs were fine the crisis team told the paramedics to go and then left themselves not long after because I refused to talk. Go figure.)

Reactions: divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
I just tell her I have sucide idealation but I have no plan and she is comfortable with that

• Love
Reactions: sklvlp999
TopChicken

TopChicken

Time to catch the bus
Mar 4, 2024
I've had one that was ok to discuss about it, several that calmly told me that it's not an option, and one that flipped out. But really, talking about it either gets you sent to the psych ward or gets your therapist in legal trouble if you CTB and they were aware of your interest in it. The system is essentially set up so you can't talk about it without somebody getting in trouble.

This is a myth. Or at least very highly exaggerated. If you look it up, virtually no therapist has been convicted in a patient suicide.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/n...ely-trained-treat-suicidal-people/4616734002/

R

Rev346

I’m here but will I still be next year?
Oct 23, 2023
This is a myth. Or at least very highly exaggerated. If you look it up, virtually no therapist has been convicted in a patient suicide.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/n...ely-trained-treat-suicidal-people/4616734002/
Interesting read! My experience here is likely from the institution. The therapist stated the company had a strict no suicide goal and if one of his patients said they were suicidal and committed then his ads would be on the line. It was the last time I saw him party because I was doing better and partly because I don't want to get anybody in trouble based on my choice.

Reactions: TopChicken
Felodese

Felodese

Mar 31, 2024
It probably also makes a big difference if it's total news to them or if that's the reason your there in the first place.

My therapist has known about me being suicidal all along, which is probably why I wasn't locked up when I told him about an attempt I made last year, and hadn't told anyone about.

He also reasoned that there is a difference between people who are chronically suicidal and someone having an acute suicidal episode. Basically, the acute patients are seen as more volatile and likely to act on impulse - so they will get locked to "protect them from themselves" until the crisis is over. But the chronic patients will probably just feel worse if they are hospitalized, and they are, in a way, already "stable".

jellie

jellie

May 9, 2023
my therapist asked questions to make sure i wasn't a danger to myself so i just reiterated that while i have suicidal thoughts i dont plan on actually going though with it. they might ask you about methods (mine did) and what triggers suicidal thoughts. they may also ask you about what you do when you are having suicidal thoughts.

mochamochi

mochamochi

Apr 2, 2024
I havent told my therapist at all. Where i live, basically anyone can call and admit a friend/family member for up to 72 hours. I refuse to go to one of those places

A

AnyWonderBR

Mar 22, 2024
I lie about if I have Plans and such to do it. That being said, she is at least empathetic towards those with suicidal thoughts, and they understand that this life can be horrible for many.

Manu therapists do not do what she does, and instead instantly hit the panic button. If getting you involuntarily committed to a hospital, losing your rights, potentially Open to abuse and so much more is the "answer" to "saving" your life, then by all means they hit the panic button.

Reactions: Ww42
Ww42

Ww42

Student
Feb 24, 2024
I lie about if I have Plans and such to do it. That being said, she is at least empathetic towards those with suicidal thoughts, and they understand that this life can be horrible for many.

Manu therapists do not do what she does, and instead instantly hit the panic button. If getting you involuntarily committed to a hospital, losing your rights, potentially Open to abuse and so much more is the "answer" to "saving" your life, then by all means they hit the panic button.
100% my 3rd therapist finally doesnt hit that panic button and it was such a relief to actually get it all off my chest before I CTB

voidstar

voidstar

time heals nothing.
Jan 7, 2024
I have actually told her in our last session two weeks ago, that I've been having suicidal thoughts for a long while now again and wasn't sure how to broach the topic. I actually want to give therapy yet another proper shot again so we're working on a plan but also these are my last 8 sessions with her and then I'll have to switch psychiatrists because she's only licensed for behavioral therapy. And switching therapy forms is the only way to avoid waiting for 2 years (which I will not survive) until you get therapy through your health care provider again.
This makes me so sad cuz she's such a gem.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tobacco and Ash