• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
If you're terminal, you qualify I think. So how long after a cancer diagnosis does one become terminal?

_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
Terminal cancer is considered 'end-stage' and is usually a cancer that doesn't respond to treatment and incurable. It's different from advanced cancer, which is still incurable, but does respond to treatment. In other words, you aren't considered terminally ill if they can somehow slow down your inevitable death.

Like @RoseyBird said, it does also take into account those three things.

K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
Depends on the median latency. Severe cases can strike anywhere within 2 - 60 years.
Terminal would mean anywhere between 6 months to a year left to live, because dying of cancer is really really painful.

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
There is no Stage V. Something like pancreatic cancer or lung cancer can take one out pretty quickly if choosing not to fight it or forego chemotherapy.

HOWEVER...

One first needs to be a resident of the states where physician assisted suicide is legal to qualify for that service. Currently, these states are: Vermont, Maine, New Jersey, Colorado, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California and Hawaii.

What's really important if you are not classified as imminently terminal is to transfer residency to one of these nine states, so you have ready access to physician assisted suicide when the time comes.

Recently, a polyp was found in my gallbladder by an ultrasound. If my next ultrasound in the spring reveals a malignancy, I have contacts in both Vermont and Colorado where I could immediately transfer my residency to if I opt to forego treatment, and my very membership here should make it clear I might decide to access legal assisted suicide in Vermont or Colorado

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Gnip's answer is correct and in detail. I'd like to add that during the process, there is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape to go through, which includes going through many psychiatric screenings, consultations, gaining the approval of said physician who would be willing to help the patient die. Also, one has to administer the drug oneself iirc.

• Wow
Reactions: Kramer and Gnip
BluesRunTheGame

BluesRunTheGame

Blackpilled
Dec 15, 2020
I see you ask a lot of questions. Do you have any answers?

SleepyTime

SleepyTime

Oct 10, 2019
Gnip's answer is correct and in detail. I'd like to add that during the process, there is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape to go through, which includes going through many psychiatric screenings, consultations, gaining the approval of said physician who would be willing to help the patient die. Also, one has to administer the drug oneself iirc.

I am sorry, but unless you can provide specifics, your comments on needing many psychiatric screenings is completely false. And it pisses me off when people make these statements. Attached below is a link to the guidelines for Washington State. There is no need for any psychiatric evaluations. Basically, your primary doctor who is willing to write the prescription and a second doctor to review your case are the only medical reviews. For example, if you are dying from cancer, your second doctor signoff is your oncologist.

In the doctor guidelines, there is mention of possibly needing mental review. But this is ONLY in the case that the patient has trouble communicating and the doctor is concerned that the patient has impaired judgement - since being able to make the declaration requires the patient to be able to make informed decisions.

If you have any specifics for other states that require numerous psychological reviews, please provide them. Otherwise, please stop scaring people.

https://endoflifewa.org/death-with-dignity-patients/death-with-dignity-checklist/