• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
My therapist is older and I can talk to her just fine. I have no problem talking to older people. Truth be told, I have a much harder time relating to people younger than me. Not always, but I've struggled a lot relating to a lot of fellow millennials and Gen Z.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Older people don't like my communication approach. I'm blunt and tell it like it is like Trump. But I don't insult as much as he does.
I have no problem with blunt as long as it is done in a non-hurtful manor. One can say what it is without being disrespectful. Again, this is not you.

Walter

ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
Interestingly enough, the best conversations I've had in real life (strangers, mind you) were with older women (say, 55-65). I'm very much younger, and also female. This has happened with multiple different people, enough to notice a trend. I often don't really connect with people my age, or anyone for that matter, but the people I respected or felt some sort of common ground with, ironically, were far removed from my "generation" or demographic.

Speak to them like you would anyone. You might find common trends in line with the demographic, but there's still a great diversity in values, hobbies, personalities, and demeanor, because they're still individuals. It's not like people become aliens, completely out of touch, once they're a certain age—unless, of course, they're a politician.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

The drip finally stops
Oct 21, 2023
Just talk to them the same way you would talk to anyone else. So long as you are polite they won't give a shit. It's not like they expect you to talk to them in some weird special dialect or something.

pilotviolin

pilotviolin

Student
Jan 27, 2024
this is specific and i mean this in a wholesome way; but i love elderly women who sit next to me on the train. they are usually very sweet, and i had the joy of talking to someone kind recently, she told me about rural areas of my country, about her late husband, her passions and experiences. i bought her tea and she got me biscuits. outside of customer service, i find most old people nice, as long as you are open and respectful. basically how we should be treating anyone else. i understand it can be a bit frightening though, especially if you have had negative/dangerous interactions with the elderly. but they are still people, with lots of life lived. i personally struggle a lot more with people in my direct age group, young adults and teenagers because i feel like it is forbidden to talk to most of them like its disrespecting their space if im not a carbon copy of them and not even in a "popular people so us vs them" sense i just feel like were all isolated from eachother with no groups.

wishing you luck op, you say you are blunt, and i promise theres older people who very much dont mind and would love to banter and appreciate brutal honesty.

untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
I'm just respectful. I offer to help if they need a favor. I would say I wouldn't if they were rude but I haven't met a rude older person, aside from my shitarents surprisingly.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I like older people but probably because my Grandma raised me. You'd call them elderly I suspect. I'm probably old to you- I'm 44. I guess we all probably feel most at home with people our own age- we likely relate to them the most. I actually feel intimidated by young people- at least in real life. I always assume they're going to take the piss out of me.

But, I think a lot of it is just down to the person. Someone can be stand offish at any age. Or, they can be friendly and chatty. We're all different. Plus, our different experiences and interests in life likely mean we'll click more with some people than others.

I think regardless of age, it's always good to try and respect someone's experiences and views and try to be interested in them. Older people can have incredible stories and they love to be able to relive them by talking about them.

InversedShadow

InversedShadow

Dec 28, 2023
I personally talk to them almost just like to anyone else, given that i too was raised by grandparents and that i havent been really liking my teenage environment in the past and i really didnt develop too many phrases that would seem not understandable to older generations I get along with people older of age pretty fine - They always seemed pretty sympathethic to me, and listening to their stories if they want to tell me one is always a great experience since I do like listening to other peoples' stories, and if they want to hear some I can tell some too

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Most very old people I've ever met (75-90) have been very kind. I hate to admit it but they often have unique insights into current events and good life advice.

Seeing very old people actively doing things is very inspiring as well when you live most of your life holed up in a room or working a terrible job.

• Love
Reactions: whywere
destinationlosangel

destinationlosangel

Student
Feb 16, 2024
I find this idea of wanting to or not wanting to talk to someone cuz of their age quite weird.

It is never about age. It is about wavelengths.

• Hugs
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
You usually talk a little bit slower and more louder

• Yay!
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
Gee you've got me as past middle age!

I assume talking with people my age is easy - at least I hope so - you just talk like you would with people your age. Most people in their mid 40s either have kids who have recently finished high school or know plenty of people who do, and can remember that part of their own lives very well, so interactions are easy enough. I know a handful of people 18-25 and get along with them all pretty well.

Much older people can be different in terms of generational gaps in how they see the world, diminished physical/mental capacities, etc., which can make conversations less relatable, even to people my age, but they're the most interesting people to learn from because they're different. It's a bit like meeting people from other cultures. Some of the most memorable conversations in my life have been with my Grandad for that reason. It's fun being able to ask questions where the answers aren't predictable, and coming from a place of greater experience. And most older people I've encountered really enjoy conversations with younger people so that always helps.

• Hugs
N33dT0D13

N33dT0D13

It/Xe
Apr 2, 2023
Easier than most adults somehow, old people love me for some reason lol
I guess it helps that I was raised around a lot of elderly folks and currently live around a lot of them.

• Hugs