gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
The inimitable Dorothy Parker, for her brilliant, wisecracking wit and her dark, broody humor. She struggled with depression, had a series of unhappy relationships, a couple of suicide attempts, and eventually drank herself to death.

Basically she's the sharper witted me, circa 1940's.

A couple of my favorites:

Resumé
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

and...

I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.

Reactions: throwaway_2620, WhiteRabbit, leaps and 9 others
goxua

goxua

Student
Jan 28, 2019
Mine is the Rothko Chapel in Texas. Mark Rothko committed suicide by slashing his wrists after suffering from depression.

"The Rothko Chapel is a non-denominational chapel in Houston, Texas founded by John and Dominique de Menil and opened in 1971. The interior serves not only as a chapel, but also as a major work of modern art. On its walls are fourteen black but color hued paintings by Mark Rothko. The shape of the building, an octagon inscribed in a Greek cross, and the design of the chapel was largely influenced by the artist.

Susan J. Barnes states "The Rothko Chapel…became the world's first broadly ecumenical center, a holy place open to all religions and belonging to none. It became a center for international cultural, religious, and philosophical exchanges, for colloquia and performances. And it became a place of private prayer for individuals of all faiths".

Fourteen of Rothko's paintings are displayed in the chapel. Three walls display triptychs, while the other five walls display single paintings. Beginning in 1964, Rothko began painting a series of black paintings, which incorporated other dark hues and texture effects. A typical question raised by visitors viewing the massive black canvases which adorn the walls of the chapel includes some variant of: "Where are the paintings?" The hue of the paintings vary on the lightning of the moment of the day." From markrothko.org

I'm not religious at all but was loosely raised Catholic. I enjoy visiting places of worship of all religions on my travels. The architecture, history and tradition I just enjoy as well as feeling somewhat peaceful within.

Reactions: 15dec, Mark Edward, therhydler and 3 others
JJ-NOHOPE

JJ-NOHOPE

Tantalus - all desire, no hope
Nov 26, 2018
The inimitable Dorothy Parker, for her brilliant, wisecracking wit and her dark, broody humor. She struggled with depression, had a series of unhappy relationships, a couple of suicide attempts, and eventually drank herself to death.

Basically she's the sharper witted me, circa 1940's.

A couple of my favorites:

Resumé
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

and...

I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.

@gingerplum - I knew we had lots in common! I'm a huge Dorothy Parker fan. Here's my favorite quote, she said it to Sam Goldwyn:
"I know this will come as a shock to you, Mr. Goldwyn, but in all history, which has held billions and billions of human beings, not a single one ever had a happy ending."

Reactions: 15dec, ReadyasEver, therhydler and 2 others
L

lady_godiva

Student
Oct 25, 2018
Mine was a photo taken (in 1953, I believe) by French photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson.

Quite a few of his photographs include cats whom he respected for their independent nature. He is quoted as saying, "I'm an anarchist, yes. Because I'm alive. Life is a provocation.... I'm against people in power and what that imposes upon them. Anglo-Saxons have to learn what anarchism is. For them, it's violence. A cat knows what anarchy is. Ask a cat. A cat understands. They're against discipline and authority. A dog is trained to obey. Cats can't be. Cats bring on chaos."

Admittedly, I am not well-versed on the subject of photography, but I happened to stumble upon this picture and decided to do some research on it because I liked it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Memento Mori, 15dec, lemmeeleev and 4 others
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
I have a photo of Lil Peep. He's my favorite artist, and I listen to his music all the time. Besides, I couldn't think of anything clever like some of you guys.

Reactions: WhiteRabbit, leaps, 15dec and 8 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
I've changed my avatar yet again, to a different photo of roses. I really love roses in general and thought the photo was rather pretty and feminine. I'm always searching for the perfect fit.

Reactions: IsadoraBeauxdraps, 15dec, Redt2go and 3 others
fuckthis

fuckthis

I've made up my mind.
Sep 23, 2018
Tyler the Creator, an artist. I added the trippy shit because I was bored.

EDIT: No longer Tyler, just an F instead I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: lemmeeleev, 15dec and Redt2go
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I thought "I feel totally lost" was fitting and I liked the art style. Then I added a space background, because space is cool :)

Reactions: Othermind, TheCrow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
sadgalgigi

sadgalgigi

good-bye
Feb 8, 2019
It's my face

Reactions: IsadoraBeauxdraps, Circles, lemmeeleev and 3 others
iHeartRockArt

iHeartRockArt

Wizard
Sep 21, 2018
It's a rock I painted. I think this is the 3rd one I've had as my display picture.

Reactions: Circles, lemmeeleev, TheCrow and 3 others
sadgalgigi

sadgalgigi

good-bye
Feb 8, 2019
Def thought you stole it from some models page. You go girl

I'm definitely no model but it was either this or a spongebob meme

• Love
Reactions: IsadoraBeauxdraps, Circles, lemmeeleev and 5 others
S

Smith94

Feb 3, 2019
It's a rock I painted. I think this is the 3rd one I've had as my display picture.
Honestly it's so well painted the first time I saw it I thought, it was a snippet of your eye but obviously cottoned on with your user name

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev, iHeartRockArt and 3 others
S

Smith94

Feb 3, 2019
Mines a painting by Edouard Monet. I wish I was more imaginative by I like to think we can all emphasise with the subject lol

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev, TheCrow and 2 others
B

Broken

Paragon
Dec 7, 2018
The bread chose me. It was my destiny

Reactions: sadgalgigi, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev and 3 others
mattwitt

mattwitt

# 978
Jun 28, 2018
I change mine a lot.

I changed my last one to this blue/white silhouette one because JustAboutDone thought my last pic looked like a mole and since she at the time had the basic white/red silhouette one I thought it would be funny to have a blue one.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev, Redt2go and 2 others
iHeartRockArt

iHeartRockArt

Wizard
Sep 21, 2018
Honestly it's so well painted the first time I saw it I thought, it was a snippet of your eye but obviously cottoned on with your user name
Aww wow thanks. Trying to get better at realistic. Got lucky with that one. I tried out these amazing new detailing pens I got for the eyelashes. And I was pretty happy with the outcome. I wish that was my eye color!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev, Redt2go and 1 other person
B

Broken

Paragon
Dec 7, 2018
Lol @JustAboutDone has something to do with everyone's pic! I had toast as mine at one point because she had the munchies!

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev and 3 others
S

Smith94

Feb 3, 2019
You're welcome, I'm guessing you've studied art ? I think that's what makes it the eyelashes are not too much but also not too little. I'm sure your eyes are plenty pretty enough.

Reactions: Tristesse, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lemmeeleev and 2 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Lol @JustAboutDone has something to do with everyone's pic! I had toast as mine at one point because she had the munchies!

I raided the cupboard at 3 am and ate 6 slices of toast that night...

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Redt2go, mattwitt and 2 others
lemmeeleev

lemmeeleev

Still here
Nov 29, 2018
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Redt2go and 2 others
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
  1. Privacy. I don't want expose my real face.
  2. I'm a kinda furry enthusiastic, but not until use fursona or that stuff, so I like to use fox avatars when it`s possible.
  3. Fox is my favorite character on Nintendo franchises.
  4. I'm a overthinker about almost everything, including my own death, of course.

Reactions: Mark Edward, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Redt2go and 2 others
D

daemonblight

Jun 26, 2018
Maya Amano, the female lead of Persona 2 and the woman in my profile pic, is a person I believe everyone should aspire to be. She's positive, caring and intelligent, but she's not afraid to show her weaknesses and she refuses to hide behind a mask (kinda ironic considering the game's name). On top of that, she's hilarious and beautiful. I'd love to have her as an older sister and even though she's fictional, she's one of the realest characters ever written in my opinion.

Reactions: Memento Mori, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, YukiFox and 2 others
Pointlessabyss

Pointlessabyss

Impulse will takeover one day...
Sep 17, 2018
Last time I can remember I put effort into life... wouldn't say I was happy as I can't remember that for a long time now not even sure I comprehend what the word means but took my now ex girlfriend on a surprise trip where we had some good memories and I was actually trying to be okay.

Edit : Fuck that is depressing, cropped her out and it's on top of the great orme in north wales! Lovely place!

Last edited:
Reactions: SeekingSolace, Redt2go, 15dec and 2 others
Memento Mori

Memento Mori

shambling garbage
Jan 24, 2019
i like crows lol. downloaded some crow logo and used my pixel 'skills' to make it fit my benefits.

Reactions: Tristesse, Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Batstern

Batstern

Metalhead
Jan 28, 2019
It's my desktop background. I like space and nice colours, so nebulae are an obvious choice haha.

Reactions: Tristesse, Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 4 others
Faulisdead

Faulisdead

Feb 9, 2019
I wanted to put a funny picture up, but I figured I wouldn't be taken seriously. So I just did a search for "depressed crow". I love to laugh though.

Reactions: Tristesse, lemmeeleev, Memento Mori and 1 other person