• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Op is uk based - highly stretched hospital services. Likelihood to be sent home with paracetamol tbh - and after 2-4 hrs wait. Definitely not guaranteed an overnight stay. There is just not the bed space :-(

Please @Johnnythefox am I right here or am I right?

Last edited:
Reactions: sif, Letmego. Please, AndyCurious and 1 other person
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
Op is uk based - highly stretched hospital services. Likelihood to be sent home with paracetamol tbh - and after 2-4 hrs wait. Definitely not guaranteed an overnight stay. There is just not the bed space :-(

I don't think he'd actually be admitted-- just kept as a "boarder" in ER overflow while labs are drawn.

Reactions: sif, Egddios, AndyCurious and 2 others
M

Miss clefable

Enlightened
Aug 23, 2018
Uk person here I od on a 1st generation anti psychotic I was there for 24 hours

Reactions: sif, Egddios, Deafsn0w and 2 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Uk person here I od on a 1st generation anti psychotic I was there for 24 hours

I'm sorry xx you must have felt awful, first generation ones were grim . Hope they treated you well

Reactions: sif, TheCrow, Deafsn0w and 2 others
Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
An epileptic seizure, especially if you've never had one, will guarentee you a night in the hospital.
Just go to youtube to see what a seizure looks like. Then go to a busy street, fall down and an ambulance will surely be called.

Don't overdo it. Doctors get nervous if seizures last longer than 5 minutes or are very wild.
But if you stay under 5 minutes, they'll probably only do an MRI scan and keep you for a night.
Say that you've been under a lot of pressure lately and that you haven't been sleeping well.
If no more seizures occur and there have been no seizures in your past,
they'll probably release you the next day with an appointment with a Neurologist a few weeks later.

Be careful though, in some countries your drivers license is taken away from you after just one attack.
And there could be more practical consequences like that later on, so check first!

I find it hard to give you this advice because I've been there and done that many times.
I have epilepsy and it's not a very fun disease. The thought of faking it makes me feel uncomfortable.
So I really hope/trust you've got good reasons if you decide to use this method.

Reactions: sif, Egddios, 08nomore and 6 others
M

Miss clefable

Enlightened
Aug 23, 2018
Your new avatar is seriously creeping me out...I feel like I am going to wake up with it sitting on my chest with a butcher knife. I am also terrified of clowns though so it might just be some irrational doll fear ;) Also hope I didn't insult some beloved keepsake your grandma made or something. It's not her...it's me.
Hehe it's okay I collect dolls if you wanna freak me out have a giant spider avatar we can freak out together

Reactions: sif, Egddios, Thewhowithin69 and 3 others
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
An epileptic seizure, especially if you've never had one, will guarentee you a night in the hospital.
Just go to youtube to see what a seizure looks like. Then go to a busy street, fall down and an ambulance will surely be called.

Don't overdo it. Doctors get nervous if seizures last longer than 5 minutes or are very wild.
But if you stay under 5 minutes, they'll probably only do an MRI scan and keep you for a night.
Say that you've been under a lot of pressure lately and that you haven't been sleeping well.
If no more seizures occur and there have been no seizures in your past,
they'll probably release you the next day with an appointment with a Neurologist a few weeks later.

Be careful though, in some countries your drivers license is taken away from you after just one attack.
And there could be more practical consequences like that later on, so check first!

I find it hard to give you this advice because I've been there and done that many times.
I have epilepsy and it's not a very fun disease. The thought of faking it makes me feel uncomfortable.
So I really hope/trust you've got good reasons if you decide to use this method.

Yeah I think it would affect my driving licence and I also don't feel too comfortable faking something like that so I won't be going for it but thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: sif, Mud. and Deafsn0w
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
I don't think he'd actually be admitted-- just kept as a "boarder" in ER overflow while labs are drawn.

One thing I've thought of, surely they would just listen to my heartbeat, realise it's normal and then send me home?

Reactions: sif and Deafsn0w
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
One thing I've thought of, surely they would just listen to my heartbeat, realise it's normal and then send me home?

No. Stethoscopes are for normal heart sounds, arrythmias, rubs, gallops, etc.

Last time: the only way to rule out a heart attack is via lab values, CK/MB & serial troponins.

Hearts can have normal rate & rhythm during a heart attack.

I hate that you still want to do this and you suspect that you're probably going to get tripped up with questions and sent home with a diagnosis of acute stress.

I like the idea of this in theory much more than a real life situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: sif, Gottahavefaithx, jumprope and 3 others
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
No. Stethoscopes are for normal heart sounds, arrythmias, rubs, gallops, etc.

Last time: the only way to rule out a heart attack is via lab values, CK/MB & serial troponins.

Hearts can have normal rate & rhythm during a heart attack.

I hate that you still want to do this and you suspect that you're probably going to get tripped up with questions and sent home with a diagnosis of acute stress.

I like the idea of this in theory much more than a real life situation.

Thanks. If I decide to do it, I'll let you know how it goes

G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
It's more complicated than that. What you are trying to do is like saying "what can I break or tell them is wrong with my car so that they only keep it at the shop X amount of time". Too many variables. My final advice is to PM someone you like, find trustworthy as can be, and tell them the story. Your fear of judgement, that isn't likely, is overpowering your rationality here. This is going to end up a 50 page thread as people try to suggest and tease out options while you say this or that won't work and you aren't going to get anywhere. People want to help you...let them try.

Okay so the main gist of it is I need people at work to think I'm seriously ill to get out of something I lied to get into. I can't just call in sick (I've already done that for the past couple of days) because then there's a chance that they'll think I'm faking it, they have to think I'm proper ill and the best way to do that is to stay in the hospital for a night. Once they think I'm sick, everything will be fine and can go back to normal.

Also telling the truth is not an option, I would probably lose my job. That's why this is important to me, I don't want to lose my job.

Reactions: agreement
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Okay so the main gist of it is I need people at work to think I'm seriously ill to get out of something I lied to get into. I can't just call in sick (I've already done that for the past couple of days) because then there's a chance that they'll think I'm faking it, they have to think I'm proper ill and the best way to do that is to stay in the hospital for a night. Once they think I'm sick, everything will be fine and can go back to normal.

Also telling the truth is not an option, I would probably lose my job. That's why this is important to me, I don't want to lose my job.

Right, ok, all is clear. First thought I had was:
Presumably you've been just calling in sick to work last few days? Have you considered going to your GP saying you've been suffering from dizzy spells or similar and getting signed off work with a GP written sick note? That gives you the credibility you need and some breathing space. X

Reactions: wxtyubidi7y and gingerplum
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
Right, ok, all is clear. First thought I had was:
Presumably you've been just calling in sick to work last few days? Have you considered going to your GP saying you've been suffering from dizzy spells or similar and getting signed off work with a GP written sick note? That gives you the credibility you need and some breathing space. X

Well I don't need a sick note until after 7 days so there'll be no point in getting one until next week, it really would make things easier if I was in the hospital

S

Shewaitsforme

Arcanist
Sep 23, 2018
Healthcare isn't free in the UK. I pay towards it and never use it so I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to use it for a night

I hate when people say this. You pay for the police and fire bragage too but would you set your place on fire because you pay for it or would you go commit a crime to get uour monies worth. Sorry but sick of people using this as an excuse to call an ambulance or go into hospital for a minor cold or stubbed toe

Reactions: Letmego. Please, Thewhowithin69, gingerplum and 1 other person
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
I hate when people say this. You pay for the police and fire bragage too but would you set your place on fire because you pay for it or would you go commit a crime to get uour monies worth. Sorry but sick of people using this as an excuse to call an ambulance or go into hospital for a minor cold or stubbed toe

Those are false equivalencies, burning my house and commiting a crime would hurt me more than the fire/police so there is no point. I don't want to go to hospital because I pay for it, I want to go because it will help solve my problem and the fact that I pay for it means I can. The NHS will still survive whether or not I spend a night in hospital.

Reactions: DeadlyLiving
DeadlyLiving

DeadlyLiving

I can't fix it, is this where I give in?
Jan 1, 2019
When I still was in school we had to do a two week long internship and I have social anxiety, so a lot of strangers plus an unknown place equals pure horror and it was just plain terrible for me. I went there the first day and I was on edge the whole damn day and couldn't sleep nor eat or anything so I went to the doctor to get a sick note that lasted until 2 days before the internship ends.
Well, now I wasn't there for 11 days and my anxiety would only get worse if I would have gone back there so I had to do something since my mother wouldn't have let me stayed at home. So I kept hitting my head against the wall until I had a big bump, faked a concussion and went to the together the next day and he immediately sent me to the hospital where I stayed 2 nights.

I don't want to say that it's right to fake something just to go to the hospital, but people have their reasons.

Reactions: Gottahavefaithx
S

Shewaitsforme

Arcanist
Sep 23, 2018
Those are false equivalencies, burning my house and commiting a crime would hurt me more than the fire/police so there is no point. I don't want to go to hospital because I pay for it, I want to go because it will help solve my problem and the fact that I pay for it means I can. The NHS will still survive whether or not I spend a night in hospital.

Going to the hospital to be admitted for something ypu caused yourself to be there for some reason like a problem at work. Not a medical/mental problem could hurt someone who cant get that bed when they need it for a medical/mental reason.

The police/fire will also survive. You raised the 'i pay into it' so i responded to that, its not a false equivalent at all and its something people in the UK should really understand.

Ok put it this way you want to lie to get a bed for the night, how about go in, and tell the truth and see what happens, i assure you they wont admit you why because your not in meed of medical attention that warrents it. You are infavt misusing the service but thats just my opinion its your choice at the end of the day. Could this not be solved by a trip to the doctor, they can within reason sign you off for all sorts thus potentially helping you get what you want and not taking up a bed, although here too that appointment could be used for a person who needs it. See OP your actions GP or AnE have a knock on effect that you could cause.

Reactions: Thewhowithin69
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
When I still was in school we had to do a two week long internship and I have social anxiety, so a lot of strangers plus an unknown place equals pure horror and it was just plain terrible for me. I went there the first day and I was on edge the whole damn day and couldn't sleep nor eat or anything so I went to the doctor to get a sick note that lasted until 2 days before the internship ends.
Well, now I wasn't there for 11 days and my anxiety would only get worse if I would have gone back there so I had to do something since my mother wouldn't have let me stayed at home. So I kept hitting my head against the wall until I had a big bump, faked a concussion and went to the together the next day and he immediately sent me to the hospital where I stayed 2 nights.

I don't want to say that it's right to fake something just to go to the hospital, but people have their reasons.

Thanks, I'm considering the concussion if I can get the guts to hit my head hard enough.

Reactions: DeadlyLiving
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Honestly your idea is about the worst and most complicated solution to your problem even if it seems the most clever and best. I do wish it would have been a simpler thing to solve....sorry.
Well said.

Reactions: Letmego. Please and oneofthesedays
H

handmethatrope

Jan 15, 2019
you can't in the UK.its somthing drastic with a section or meds same day discharge with a follow.up appointment the mental health service is to over stretched and to underfunded

Reactions: sif and Johnnythefox