• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
I've been curious about this too I miss some friends who told me to go to the hospital for my mood swings and cough syrup use before they talk to me again but I'm scared and also don't wanna take up beds either awuhrr *curls up a bit weakly* ♥️

I'm sorry, I hope you find the strength to get help soon xx

Reactions: sif, Deafsn0w and TheCrow
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
I don't know anything about UK hospital systems, but I could bore you at great length about American admissions criteria and length of stay requirements.

I don't mean to be glib, but as @Shewaitsforme has said, you don't get to breeze in and out of a hospital bed on a whim.

Edit: Depending on your age, I do have one suggestion that's almost a guaranteed 24° admission. I'd call it the nuclear option, and you're probably not old enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: sif, Egddios, Thewhowithin69 and 5 others
J

jumprope

Jan 8, 2019
Edit: Depending on your age, I do have one suggestion that's almost a guaranteed 24° admission. I'd call it the nuclear option, and you're probably not old enough.

Well now we're all terribly curious.

gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
Well now we're all terribly curious.

Chest pain. Complain of chest pain and nausea. Sometimes the pain radiates to your left shoulder, and jaw.

NOT tenderness. NOT pain on deep inspiration. Deep pain and pressure, like a baby elephant is sitting on your chest. You will have to know how to describe an actual MI for this to work.

In order to rule out an MI (heart attack) they have to run a series of tests over 24° (CK/MB & troponin) to check for cardiac muscle damage.

There's no way to tell by exam, and sending someone home without ruling out an MI would be a major liability.

The caveat is, it is extraordinarily rare this would happen in someone under, say 30. Still, it does happen, and they have to do an admission for 24° observation.

Reactions: sif, Egddios, AndyCurious and 6 others
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
I don't know anything about UK hospital systems, but I could bore you at great length about American admissions criteria and length of stay requirements.

I don't mean to be glib, but as @Shewaitsforme has said, you don't get to breeze in and out of a hospital bed on a whim.

What's the option? I'm 23 if that helps.

Reactions: sif and Deafsn0w
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
Chest pain. Complain of chest pain and nausea. Sometimes the pain radiates to your left shoulder, and jaw.

NOT tenderness. NOT pain on deep inspiration. Deep pain and pressure, like a baby elephant is sitting on your chest. You will have to know how to describe an actual MI for this to work.

In order to rule out an MI (heart attack) they have to run a series of tests over 24° (CK/MB & troponin) to check for cardiac muscle damage.

There's no way to tell by exam, and sending someone home without ruling out an MI would be a major liability.

The caveat is, it is extraordinarily rare this would happen in someone under, say 30. Still, it does happen, and they have to do an admission for 24° observation.

Thanks. I'm guessing the chest pain has to be on my left side?

gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
What's the option? I'm 23 if that helps.

It definitely does not help that you're 23. But yeah, if you know what you're doing, you could pull it off and not even have to give yourself a traumatic brain injury.

Reactions: sif, Egddios, AndyCurious and 1 other person
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
It definitely does not help that you're 23. But yeah, if you know what you're doing, you could pull it off and not even have to give yourself a traumatic brain injury.

Thanks for the idea

gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
Key phrase, and unlikely to be convincing if a layperson tries it. As you probably know people are generally really bad at faking symptoms. Really bad. He is going to say something or do something that doesn't make sense and gives it away. Like how you can spot a bad actor from a skilled one a mile away...it doesn't look natural. The unwillingness to say why he needs to be there is making this a fool's errand and it's 99% not going to work imo. It's not nosiness or anything...it's just leaving out a critical part of a solution. You are far more likely to be there a bit if you just go in and admit you are suicidal and plan on doing it as soon as you walk out the door. That's a legally required 24-72hr hold in most first world countries.

Oh, the whole thing is patently ridiculous. I would love to see it unfold. However, chest pain with MIs can be very atypical, and like I said, sending someone home without a rule-out could potentially be a massive liability.

It just *might* work. People pull off dumber things all the time.

Reactions: sif, AndyCurious and Deafsn0w
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
I'm curious about why he wants to stay one night in the hospital? Love interest? Instagram woe-is-me selfie? See a relative?

Reactions: sif, Trulysorry and Deafsn0w
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
Yeah I deleted the post since OP seems irrationally set on this. Frustrating since the irrational stuff is what creates more problems, failures etc, but it's their choice. I feel like we have a responsibility to each other not to enable stupid stuff, and to help when we can, but at this point it is just sounding like a lecture from me so I will quit as nobody likes being lectured to.

I'm aware that it may seem irrational to you and others but I got myself into a sticky situation and this is the only way out. I have tried considering other options but spending a night in the hospital would be the best solution to my problems. I'm not just trying to spend the night in a hospital for the fun of it

G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
I'm curious about why he wants to stay one night in the hospital? Love interest? Instagram woe-is-me selfie? See a relative?

None of the above. It would help me solve a problem I got myself into.

J

jumprope

Jan 8, 2019

Sounds like a neat and tidy answer to OP's question.

Reactions: sif, Gottahavefaithx and Deafsn0w
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Only way I can think of is give yourself a concussion, they'll keep you overnight. You have to hit your head on something though and act like you're woozy.

J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
None of the above. It would help me solve a problem I got myself into.

Without being preachy, as long as your sticky situation doesn't force someone else into an even stickier one e.g someone not getting the medical attention they really need. Am so grateful for "free" healthcare in the uk I respect it as much as possible tbh

Wishing you all the best x

Reactions: sif, TheCrow and Deafsn0w
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018

It is a pretty iron-clad excuse to miss work or school.

Reactions: sif, AndyCurious, Gottahavefaithx and 1 other person
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Go to a shady fast food joint, eat a bunch of their food, complain of food poisoning, go to hospital. They'll keep you overnight.

Reactions: sif, Letmego. Please and Deafsn0w
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
Only way I can think of is give yourself a concussion, they'll keep you overnight. You have to hit your head on something though and act like you're woozy.

Imaging can quickly rule out a traumatic brain injury. I'm telling you guys, chest pain (yes, even in a 23-yr old) is pretty failsafe.

Again, it takes 24 hrs to rule out an MI.

Edit: Let the record show I'm both ashamed and pleased with myself for thinking of this. I'm very conflicted.

Reactions: sif, Letmego. Please, Thewhowithin69 and 4 others
TheCrow

TheCrow

Invisible Spirit
Sep 26, 2018
Ok, riddle me this: is there a reason why you don't wish to share why you need to go with us?

Reactions: sif, Moony21, Trulysorry and 1 other person
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
I never thought that and am not minimizing your problem. Just noting that sometimes people can help you come up with solutions you haven't thought of. You don't really have anything to lose asking the hive mind with it's varied experience to pitch in. You can always ignore anything said and go whack yourself on the head of try to fake your heart attack (which ain't gonna work because nobody is admitting a 23yo with clean test results and nothing out of the ordinary...you will be sent home with an anxiety diagnosis or told "nothing wrong"). Even then if everyone is like "oh hey that IS the best plan" it's easier to give advice how when you know the details. But again...I'm feeling like I am beating you over the head with it rather than what I intend...which is to help and keep you from making things worse. So, sorry for that.

The thing is, the problem was caused by a series of bad decisions on my part. If I share all the details on here, people will just judge me for what I did wrong - that's why I don't want to ask for that kind of help on here

G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018

I don't think I have the courage to hit myself on the head with something. If I fall from a distance not too high, could I still get concussion?

G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
Without being preachy, as long as your sticky situation doesn't force someone else into an even stickier one e.g someone not getting the medical attention they really need. Am so grateful for "free" healthcare in the uk I respect it as much as possible tbh

Wishing you all the best x

Healthcare isn't free in the UK. I pay towards it and never use it so I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to use it for a night

Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Yeah, I can't help you any more than that then. Either you face your problem head-on and try to resolve your sticky situation, or you find a way into the hospital.

G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
Ok, riddle me this: is there a reason why you don't wish to share why you need to go with us?

I've just replied to someone with the answer....I caused the problem by making bad decisions and if I shared it, I know I would get more judgement than help.

J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Healthcare isn't free in the UK. I pay towards it and never use it so I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to use it for a night

As a U.K. Taxpayer myself, the concept of the NHS is that it's "free" at the point of care in that they don't make you pay hard cash when you turn up at the hospital/ or present insurance documents

The trouble is it is overstretched and under resourced so if we can find any better way to help you it's better than abusing a system that is at breaking point.

Reactions: sif, Letmego. Please, Thewhowithin69 and 4 others
G

Gottahavefaithx

Jul 31, 2018
I get it. There might be a few dickheads that would judge you and be mean, but for the most part we get it. Sometimes as the saying goes..."when you've dug yourself into a hole, stop digging" What you are sounding like doing is definitely digging deeper...but maybe its not and just seems to because you are being secretive. Might be the best plan ever.

See the thing is the hospital stay would end everything, that's why it's the best idea. Once the stay at the hospital is done, I'll be good

gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
Maybe it's different where OP is, but I truly don't think they would keep someone that young for the longer tests. If he was 50 with a history yeah, but if he goes in there telling a story that's going to have holes, and everything looks good, I would bet everything he is going home. I think it's so unlikely as to not be worth trying honestly. You'd have to get the perfectly new and nervous doctor at the perfectly slow time and things would just have to go right all around. There absolutely HAS to be a better way to accomplish what OP wants than this.

Ok, I get that you're skeptical, but I have 20+ yrs of acute and critical care experience.

24hr obs for chest pain is standard operating procedure. To deviate is to risk a massive liability, putting both the practitioner and the facility at risk.

I know what constitutes severity of illness and intensity of service as per McKesson, Interqual, Medicare, Medicaid, and private payor source criteria.

I really, really know this. I am an expert in this area. This. Is. My. Wheelhouse.

Reactions: sif, AndyCurious, iHeartRockArt and 4 others
TheCrow

TheCrow

Invisible Spirit
Sep 26, 2018
I've just replied to someone with the answer....I caused the problem by making bad decisions and if I shared it, I know I would get more judgement than help.
Ooops, sorry. We don't judge here. That's what this site is all about: being able to speak freely without being judged. :)

Reactions: sif, Deafsn0w, Mud. and 1 other person