• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
So, this thread was inspired by a conversation I had with @Sherri,and a post I saw on the music mega thread by @newave3.

I love all genres of music but I particularly love House, Disco, Funk & soul.Disco & the funkier kinds of House in particular don't seem to get posted very often or get much love on here so if you like any of these genre's please feel free to post and share your favorites. Anything funky that makes you want to dance, or something soulful that moves you
is all more than welcome.
I'l start off with sharing a few of my own personal favorites.

Last edited:
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
I don't know what genre this is but I have always loved this song.

Reactions: Studio84
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Thank you! It's a good film. There's some good documentaries about studio 54 and the Paradise garage floating around on youtube. If I find them i'l send you/post the links.
Hope the after death could be like that, I remember the old lady in the movie. So touching. That's how I would like to grow old.

• Love
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
Hope the after death could be like that, I remember the old lady in the movie. So touching. That's how I would like to grow old.
I'm pretty sure one of the documentaries I've seen talks quite a bit about the old lady in it. I've seen a few so I'd have to try and find which one it is.It is indeed touching. And yeah if there is an afterlife I don't think I'd mind being in a club like that for eternity!

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I'm pretty sure one of the documentaries I've seen talks quite a bit about the old lady in it. I've seen a few so I'd have to try and find which one it is.It is indeed touching. And yeah if there is an afterlife I don't think I'd mind being in a club like that for eternity!
I just know the old lady from the movie, the way they dragged her and just continued the party like nothing happened I didn't like it much though. :'(

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
I just know the old lady from the movie, the way they dragged her and just continued the party like nothing happened I didn't like it much though. :'(

I don't think it really happened like that.... I think they added it in to give some drama to the film and to make the owner of the club look bad because he went to jail eventually.I just read an article about her and there wasn't even a mention of her collapsing or dying there. It said in the article she died in a hospital. Still pretty sad though :'(

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020

I don't think it really happened like that.... I think they added it in to give some drama to the film and to make the owner of the club look bad because he went to jail eventually.I just read an article about her and there wasn't even a mention of her collapsing or dying there. It said in the article she died in a hospital. Still pretty sad though :'(

Yeah it seem it was the only place where she felt young and happy. And she was a nana and a respectful woman.

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
I love all genres of music...even songs from the 1920's,30's and 40's. There was a movie called Pennies from Heaven made in the 1980's starring Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters with a great sound track of songs from 1920's -40's. I won't post those here of course.
If a song is good and catches my ear, I don't care what genre it is.
The New Yorker in me likes this.

Last edited:
J

justsad&done

Visionary
Nov 11, 2020
I love all genres of music...even songs from the 1920's,30's and 40's. There was a movie called Pennies from Heaven made in the 1980's starring Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters with a great sound track of songs from 1920's -40's. I won't post those here of course.

The New Yorker in me likes it too.
And yes that was a good soundtrack. :heart:

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020

I'm pretty much the same, if I like what I hear I'm not bothered what genre it is. I've not heard this before but I really like it. I used to listen to this kind of thing a hell of a lot a few years back.Theres a compilation series called mushroom jazz by a dj called Mark farina that has a lot of this kind of stuff on. Thank you for sharing it and opening my ears to something new.

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
Wish I had your musical knowledge but I am enjoying your tunes :heart:
Ha, I'm nowhere near an expert. I've just spent all my life listening to a lot of music.All my family loved music when I was growing up as well so I was exposed to a lot of different styles of music from a young age. My mum loves most kinds of music, my dad loves motown and soul, my sister listened to stuff like depeche mode, the cure etc, so I just soaked it all up like a sponge.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Ha, I'm nowhere near an expert. I've just spent all my life listening to a lot of music.All my family loved music when I was growing up as well so I was exposed to a lot of different styles of music from a young age. My mum loves most kinds of music, my dad loves motown and soul, my sister listened to stuff like depeche mode, the cure etc, so I just soaked it all up like a sponge.
Looooove Motown. I'm not religious, but when I was a teen I used to go to a ghospel church and sing Ghospel. Cigarettes ruined my voice though .

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
Looooove Motown. I'm not religious, but when I was a teen I used to go to a ghospel church and sing Ghospel. Cigarettes ruined my voice though .
Motown's pretty hard to dislike. I've dj'd at a fair few party's and motown stuff always gets people of most ages dancing.Most of the greatest soul singers sung gospel music.It never did this lady any harm..

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Motown's pretty hard to dislike. I've dj'd at a fair few party's and motown stuff always gets people of most ages dancing.Most of the greatest soul singers sung gospel music.It never did this lady any harm..

do you like soul train? I usually watch sometimes. I wish I was a 70s 80s girl.

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
You might get a kick out of this or hate it but it's interesting. I love funk, soul, and motown.

Love that kind of thing.. I've spent hours on whosampled.com.I often find myself loving the original versions more than the track that's used the sample.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CoalmineCanary