• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
"music in my life has kept me through, all of the changes this world has put me through but its all right, I feel it" Nice feel good track is this

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
This track is quite possibly the funkiest song about alcoholism ever made and is one of my all time favorites..

he is one of my heroes. his voice, his lyrics - just fabulous.
"peace go with you, brother" and "we almost lost detroit" - touches me everytime i listen to it.

• Love
Reactions: Studio84
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
@DocNo Gil scott heron is a very unique artist. I've been meaning to read his memoir book The last holiday for ages now. Have you read it by any chance?

This one always gets me when I hear it

• Love
Reactions: DocNo
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
@DocNo Gil scott heron is a very unique artist. I've been meaning to read his memoir book The last holiday for ages now. Have you read it by any chance?

This one always gets me when I hear it

nope. i didn't read it. only did read about him on wikipedia. but i check it out - for sure worth reading it - thanx for the tip.
yeah - i like the whole winter in america album.

and in terms of funk i also love this track.

Last edited:
  • Love
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
nope. i didn't read it. only did read about him on wikipedia. but i check it out - for sure worth reading it - thanx for the tip.
yeah - i like the whole winter in america album.
I imagine it's an interesting read. The guy had a pretty "colourful" life with drug addictions and prison sentence's etc. I shall have to get round to reading it one day soon.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
I imagine it's an interesting read. The guy had a pretty "colourful" life with drug addictions and prison sentence's etc. I shall have to get round to reading it one day soon.

yes - that was also what i was reading about him on wikipedia.

another funk classic - somehow one of the funkiest funk tracks ever.

and in terms of funk there leads no way around curtis mayfield.

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
the father of the roots of hip hop beats :D

Clyde Stubblefield James Browns drummer is the most sampled drummer ever. I don't think he ever got a penny in royalties either. He was never bitter about it either. I saw him talking about it on a documentary and he was just smiling all the way through it. Seemed like a really decent guy. He died a few years back so R. I. P

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
Clyde Stubblefield James Browns drummer is the most sampled drummer ever. I don't think he ever got a penny in royalties either. He was never bitter about it either. I saw him talking about it on a documentary and he was just smiling all the way through it. Seemed like a really decent guy. He died a few years back so R. I. P

wow - thanx for the history lesson.
yeah - the people who don't care about this things and just love what they are doing are the special ones.

and funk and drummer instantly triggers billy cobham for me ^^

edit: wow watching some stubblefield stuff right now - his beats are killa!

holy zhit...

Last edited:
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
wow - thanx for the history lesson.
yeah - the people who don't care about this things and just love what they are doing are the special ones.

and funk and drummer instantly triggers billy cobham for me ^^

edit: wow watching some stubblefield stuff right now - his beats are killa!

holy zhit...

Another useless piece of triva the break in this track is the most sampled drum loop ever. (or at least it was I've not checked for ages) Ha yeah Stubblefield was a demon on them drums!

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
Another useless piece of triva the break in this track is the most sampled drum loop ever. (or at least it was I've not checked for ages) Ha yeah Stubblefield was a demon on them drums!

and i terms of sampling and funk - i love this j dilla track!
did also see some documentary about dilla what he made so different back then. most producers used quantization in their software to keep the beats perfectly in sync. he made it more about feel and this tiny irregularities in rhythm made it more organic.

made me also realize once more that the beauty lies in imperfection - which is sometimes a struggle for me, cause i tend to perfectionism which sometimes gives me a hard time.

Last edited:
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
and i terms of sampling and funk - i love this j dilla track!
did also see some documentary about dilla what he made so different back then. most producers used quantization in their software to keep the beats perfectly in sync. he made it more about feel and this tiny irregularities in rhythm made it more organic.

made me also realize once more that the beauty lies in imperfection - which is sometimes a struggle for me, cause i tend to perfectionism which sometimes gives me a hard time.

I'm not a massive j dilla fan but the guy was a beast on the MPC (the sampler hardware he used to make his tracks) Yeah your right he was famous for putting loads of swing on his beats.You can get away with things like that more making hip hop. I used to mess around on Ableton live making (I use the term loosely) disco house tracks and you do have to make everything as quantized as you can purely to make it dj friendly and easy to mix with other records.

This is my favorite j dilla track. He made an album while he was slowly dying in hospital and this track is taken off that album

Last edited:
  • Love
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
Now this is what I call a good successful thread, well done @Studio84 :hug: :heart:
Thank you! I didn't really do it for that reason. I just wanted somewhere people could post there favorite stuff and maybe chat a bit about why they like it.You like some of the music that's been posted? If so anything in particular you really like? :heart:

Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
This one is my fav, I know it wasn't created for a hit, but I'm glad to listen to good music. :hug:
Good choice, that track means a lot to me for quite a few reasons. I spent a fair few years living in the bottle myself so I can relate to the lyrics and the theme of the song quite a bit. I just wondered what kind of stuff you found good so I could post similar stuff. Just wanted to get an idea of what you liked.

• Love
Reactions: DocNo and Sherri
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Good choice, that track means a lot to me for quite a few reasons. I spent a fair few years living in the bottle myself so I can relate to the lyrics and the theme of the song quite a bit. I just wondered what kind of stuff you found good so I could post similar stuff. Just wanted to get an idea of what you liked.
Same boy, I used to club and drink a lot. Miss those days even though it's been only a few years ago . Music, alcohol and club friends made all the sadness go away.

• Love
Reactions: DocNo and Studio84
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
Same boy, I used to club and drink a lot. Miss those days even though it's been only a few years ago . Music, alcohol and club friends made all the sadness go away.

for me it was more smoking pot and making some clubs to my extended living room ^^

• Love
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
Oh I danced on speakers, fell from a few also lol. Got embarrassing photos, don't remember half of the nights though, :hug:
Ive had a fair few night like that myself ha.. I miss them days myself. I used to go out on a Friday and not get back home till Sunday. Go a club, back to an after party somewhere then back into town as soon as the bars were open again. Good times from what I remember, like you say I don't fully remember half the things I was doing either!

• Hugs
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Ive had a fair few night like that myself ha.. I miss them days myself. I used to go out on a Friday and not get back home till Sunday. Go a club, back to an after party somewhere then back into town as soon as the bars were open again. Good times from what I remember, like you say I don't fully remember half the things I was doing either!
Almost the same, I do miss a good house after party also. We were our own DJs and put our favourite songs. Why that everything that is good fades away so quick :'(

• Hugs
Studio84

Studio84

Archangel
Sep 7, 2020
for me it was more smoking pot and making some clubs to my extended living room ^^
Its as good as going out to a club sometimes DocNo.... In fact it's sometimes better because you can control the music and there's less people around to annoy you.I've found party's like this much better than going out somewhere.

• Love
Reactions: DocNo and Sherri
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Its as good as going out to a club sometimes DocNo.... In fact it's sometimes better because you can control the music and there's less people around to annoy you.I've found party's like this much better than going out somewhere.
Absolutely, there was no bouncers and we would party till the sun come up. Good old days. :hug::heart:

• Love
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
Almost the same, I do miss a good house after party also. We were our own DJs and put our favourite songs. Why that everything that is good fades away so quick :'(

yeah me too. i like to kill parties and get rid of the boring people and make only party for a few people. :D

• Love
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
For you @Studio84

Thank you! It's a good film. There's some good documentaries about studio 54 and the Paradise garage floating around on youtube. If I find them i'l send you/post the links.
I really like the movie. Found it in a sale bin. I've seen a couple docs on YouTube that were good. I'm guessing you're name Studio84 is from that?
Anyway, I thought I would add the actual video & some mixes.:smiling::heart::smiling::heart:

• Love
Reactions: Sherri and Studio84