It'sNotLookingGood

It'sNotLookingGood

You Know I Couldn't Last
Mar 1, 2020
Can anyone explain the differences between using either: Cimetidine (Tagamet), Rantidine (Zantac), or Famotidine (Pepcid).

They're all H2-antagonists, but what are the advantages/disadvantages/differences between using one or the other?

For the record, I'll also be taking a benzo, propranolol, paracetamol, and metoclopramide alongside the SN.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Well, I did a bit of research and figured out the following:

- All three meds are, indeed, mostly interchangeable in their effect and have very similar common side effects (digestive problems, dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, fatigue, possibly a headache). The only really unique side effect I found is that Tagamet can give you a stuffy nose.
- Pepcid (Famotidine) might "interact" with NSAIDs, so if you decide to substitute Paracetamol with something like Ibuprofen, one of the meds might cancel out the other.
- In April of this year there was some situation with Zantac (Rantidine) being contaminated, so it was subsequectly pulled from the shelves for further investigation. In my experience, these investigations take forever and it might be difficult to purchase the "investigated" med anywhere for about a year after the situation, so it might not be available.

I am no doctor though, so I might turn out to know nothing, so hopefully someone competent might correct me if I'm wrong or add some information.

Reactions: It'sNotLookingGood
It'sNotLookingGood

It'sNotLookingGood

You Know I Couldn't Last
Mar 1, 2020
Well, I did a bit of research and figured out the following:

- All three meds are, indeed, mostly interchangeable in their effect and have very similar common side effects (digestive problems, dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, fatigue, possibly a headache). The only really unique side effect I found is that Tagamet can give you a stuffy nose.
- Pepcid (Famotidine) might "interact" with NSAIDs, so if you decide to substitute Paracetamol with something like Ibuprofen, one of the meds might cancel out the other.
- In April of this year there was some situation with Zantac (Rantidine) being contaminated, so it was subsequectly pulled from the shelves for further investigation. In my experience, these investigations take forever and it might be difficult to purchase the "investigated" med anywhere for about a year after the situation, so it might not be available.

I am no doctor though, so I might turn out to know nothing, so hopefully someone competent might correct me if I'm wrong or add some information.
That's very interesting about the NSAID-Pepcid interactions thank you. I've heard ibbuprofen may reduce the blood-lowering effects of propranolol, so I was planning on taking paracetamol anyway, and this reaffirms it being my painkiller of choice.

Yes, it is very hard to find any h2-inhibitor right now at least in the UK because of a manufacturing problem - all the chemists give this same story. I've seen some dates of mid-2021 for the expected return of Zantac I think.

I may just go with milk of magnesia, but because the pphb recommends tagamet I'd just feel I'd be more comfortable using something like that

Racon

Racon

Student
Aug 29, 2020
I may just go with milk of magnesia
Does it matter what form of magnesia your antacid contains? The antacids I use normally contain magnesium carbonate however the antacids mentioned here contain magnesium hydroxide

It'sNotLookingGood

It'sNotLookingGood

You Know I Couldn't Last
Mar 1, 2020
Does it matter what form of magnesia your antacid contains? The antacids I use normally contain magnesium carbonate however the antacids mentioned here contain magnesium hydroxide
I'm not sure. I'd say get a h2-receptor antagonist, or just milk of magnesia. Or that's what I'll be doing:)

Reactions: Racon and GrumpyFrog
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Yes, it is very hard to find any h2-inhibitor right now at least in the UK because of a manufacturing problem - all the chemists give this same story. I've seen some dates of mid-2021 for the expected return of Zantac I think.

I may just go with milk of magnesia, but because the pphb recommends tagamet I'd just feel I'd be more comfortable using something like that
Oh, if it's the effects of the Zantac problem extend to all the h2-inhibitors and nothing is available, then it might indeed be necessary to switch to something different entirely, like the milk of magnesia :notsure:

Does it matter what form of magnesia your antacid contains?
As far as I'm aware, both compounds have a very similar mechanism of action, so I'd say you can safely replace one with another.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Racon and It'sNotLookingGood
thethatsitboy

thethatsitboy

Nós tudo vive pra morrer, mas luta pela vida
Jul 4, 2020
As far as I'm aware, both compounds have a very similar mechanism of action, so I'd say you can safely replace one with another.
Yeah, me too.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993