• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
Back when I was like 21 I was also in a really bad place. Not quite as bad as today, but still quite bad.

At the time my social anxiety and failure anxiety were really bad. I barely dared to leave the house anymore and I barely had for like a year. And every time I did it was hard. I wasn't able to go to college either and didn't have any friends or girlfriend. The way college works in my country is that you can only fail so many times and you're not allowed in anymore. And I wasn't able to attend classes or go to exams, so I was failing everything. I basically had given up and wasn't really doing anything to change my circumstances anymore. I decided that there was nothing to do and I'd just wait around until it got bad enough that I'd kill myself.

Anyway, there was this day. I remember it very clearly because it was shortly after GTA V came out. I was listening to the music on my cellphone and it got to this song. "Believe" by "The Bravery."

And I was listening to this song. And some of the lyrics are:

"So give me something to believe
'Cause I am living just to breathe
And I need something more
To keep on breathing for
So give me something to believe"

Which, you can understand, why that immediately resonated with me.

Then I got to later lyrics in the song:

"I am hiding from some beast
But the beast was always here
Watching without eyes
Because the beast is just my fear
That I am just nothing
Thar that's just what I've become
What am I waiting for?
It's already done"

Obviously art is open to interpretation. But to me the way I took that in was "The past is already done. I can't change anything about it. So what am I waiting for in trying to fix the present?"

And on that day I decided to spring back into action. I started making inquiries about my college status. I started a process to recuperate my failed time, because the way it works is if you have "unusual circumstances" your failures can basically be wiped away so you can keep going to college. It's a long and arduous process that's not easy to achieve but I started that, gathered evidence and eventually I got it. And my college basically got (nearly) reset.

A little later I also decided to switch psychologists. My psychologist at the time wasn't making any progress with me, despite like 2 years of therapy. So I tried a new psychologist and she helped me a lot.

In like 6 months I was attending classes again. In like 1 year I was doing exams. And 1,5 years later I had a girlfriend again.

And all of it was because of listening to that song in that moment.

And there's actually a second example I have. This one from when I was 17. There was this song I came across called "Let It Rock." Now this wasn't as "deep" as the previous one. But, basically, it put me in the mood for going to a party.

I didn't really attend a lot of parties but for some reason this made me want to go to one. So I asked a friend to get me tickets. And he did. We went to the party together along with a female friend of his who had arranged for the tickets cuz she was a big partier. Anyway, we went to the party and that girl was into me. And afterwards we kept chatting online. And we'd meet up again. And she became my first girlfriend whom I have good memories of to this day. And she really helped me get through my first depression.

If I'd never listening to that song I wouldn't have wanted to go to that party. No party means I don't meet my first girlfriend. Which means there's no one to get me out of my first depression which means... I don't know what it means, my life would probably be entirely different. Or I'd have been dead at 17.

Anyway, all this to ask... has this ever happened to any of you? Have you ever had a similar moment where a piece of music really changed your life in a big way?

ctbcat

ctbcat

Yes, the everlasting contrast.
Jul 14, 2023
the thing that came to mind for me isn't positive, but i find it kind of funny for myself, so i'll bite

'today' by the smashing pumpkins is what got me to start self harming lol... the line 'pink ribbon scars that never forget'.

still love smashing pumpkins, just ironic whenever i remember it. i'd known self harm was something one could do far before, but i was already in the start of a downward spiral so it made me able to find a vice to confide in, for better or for worse