• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Bells

Bells

Formerly known as TheVampireQueen.
Oct 15, 2023
I have been on SSRIs for sometime now (about 6 weeks) and my psychiatrist said that hopefully the positive effects will start from weeks 6-8 but I really haven't noticed anything change for the better or for the worse. I have an appointment with them next week to talk about my medication.

I had a rough time on weeks 2-3 (which is pretty common) and I did self-harm couple of times and my suicidal thoughts were more frequent. They have calmed down now though, but still like my overall mood and feelings haven't changed from before starting the medication. I was prescribed Sertraline for OCD and depression but my OCD hasn't gone away at all either. I'm open to try different medications next. Anyone have any suggestions or good experiences about medication they have been on? I also want to hear other people's experiences and opinions on SSRIs.

A bit of my background: I have struggled with self-harm for most of my teen-adult life and with suicidal thoughts especially when I was a younger teen. I also have OCD on some scale which makes my everyday life a bit harder too.

• Hugs
Reactions: MatrixPrisoner, jinx <3, Scattered-Soul and 2 others
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
I commenced on Fluoxetine, which left me completely exhausted, hardly able to get up and walk. I was then moved onto Citalopram, which I was prescribed for around 3 years. All I can say about it is that it was strange. Colours seemed to become unusually vivid and envelop me whilst I sometimes felt I could somehow hear them. When I reported this to the mental health team they were fairly disinterested, saying these effects sometimes occurred and they would pass, however they never did. I was also cautioned that with Citalopram thoughts of depression and suicide could sometimes spontaneously break out.
That was my experience.

Reactions: lachrymost, real human being and Joarga
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
I have been on SSRIs for sometime now (about 6 weeks) and my psychiatrist said that hopefully the positive effects will start from weeks 6-8 but I really haven't noticed anything change for the better or for the worse. I have an appointment with them next week to talk about my medication.

I had a rough time on weeks 2-3 (which is pretty common) and I did self-harm couple of times and my suicidal thoughts were more frequent. They have calmed down now though, but still like my overall mood and feelings haven't changed from before starting the medication. I was prescribed Sertraline for OCD and depression but my OCD hasn't gone away at all either. I'm open to try different medications next. Anyone have any suggestions or good experiences about medication they have been on? I also want to hear other people's experiences and opinions on SSRIs.

A bit of my background: I have struggled with self-harm for most of my teen-adult life and with suicidal thoughts especially when I was a younger teen. I also have OCD on some scale which makes my everyday life a bit harder too.
I took Paroxetine for about 2 months and it didn't do anything apart from making it hard to cum lol.
Now i'm 2,5 weeks on duloxetine which is also meant to "activate' yourself. I've noticed it has a similar effect down there, can't really comment on the other effects yet.

Reactions: divinemistress36, real human being and Bells
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I took different meds, from ssri to antipsychotic.

And I have only bad things to say. In short, poison.

Reactions: dhaak, carac, real human being and 1 other person
Bells

Bells

Oct 15, 2023
I took Paroxetine for about 2 months and it didn't do anything apart from making it hard to cum lol.
Now i'm 2,5 weeks on duloxetine which is also meant to "activate' yourself. I've noticed it has a similar effect down there, can't really comment on the other effects yet.
I think I'm going to try other type of medication next since SSRIs haven't really done anything. I have been feeling little more cloudy or like brain-foggy and have been bit more tired from the SSRIs maybe. I'm interested in using medication that is supposed to "activate" yourself as it has become harder to do anything and I feel so sluggish. The sexual side effects of SSRIs are really common and I can also relate to some extent.

I'm kinda worried to stop using SSRIs though because I've heard that when stopping there is an increased risk of suicial and self-harm behaviour for some time.

My brother was also using SSRIs for sometime but they didn't work for him either. Now he has moved to medication which is also "activating" and said that it has been a much better experience.

Thanks for your response!
I commenced on Fluoxetine, which left me completely exhausted, hardly able to get up and walk. I was then moved onto Citalopram, which I was prescribed for around 3 years. All I can say about it is that it was strange. Colours seemed to become unusually vivid and envelop me whilst I sometimes felt I could somehow hear them. When I reported this to the mental health team they were fairly disinterested, saying these effects sometimes occurred and they would pass, however they never did. I was also cautioned that with Citalopram thoughts of depression and suicide could sometimes spontaneously break out.
That was my experience.
Sounds like Citalopram gave you somekind of synesthesia. Sounds weird and in a way, kinda cool (maybe a bit worrying also). I was also cautioned about that SSRIs might cause spontaneous suicidal thoughts or increased self-harming behaviour, especially if you already do self-harm.

Anyway, thank you for your interesting response and was nice to hear about your unique experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: real human being
moondazed

moondazed

ex nihilo nihil fit
Oct 14, 2023

I've been on a handful of SSRIs, and they never worked for me. Often they made my symptoms worse. I specifically remember Sertraline, since those made me irrationally angry, and I'm not usually an angry person so I stopped those. I eventually found Mirtazipine, and have been in those for 3 years. It's not an SSRI. They increase your appetite and make you sleepy, which is why they aren't very commonly prescribed, but it works for me since I tend to starve myself and not sleep when I'm depressive.

Bad part is I absolutely cannot sleep without them now

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, real human being, Bells and 1 other person
Departme

Departme

Mar 23, 2023

With the SSRi medications its more about finding the right one and dosage for you, maybe you need more of the Sertraline and then they will begin to help - this is often patient feedback when you read reviews. Or failing that try another one, it seems from people's experiences that there is a lot of trial and error involved to find one that works for you. They can help and reviews online/research suggests it cannot just be placebo but there are people who are treatment resistance as well. I know many people personally who take them and say they help. Life is hard you'd be surprised how many people are on these medications as obviously its not something people go around advertising..

Many years ago I was in a dark place through the loss of a sibling and I used citalopram, 20mg per day. There was no benefit for around a 3 weeks then one day I woke up and just felt completely different, much brighter in my mood it was bizarre. Then ongoing I just felt more like my old self and a few months later I began to reduce my dose and did not find it effected my happier mood from memory. That's why I've just by coincidence restarted them this week as I'm again in a dark place albeit this time I'm not as confident as the reasons are completely different. I hope they work again though as anything that helps I'll try so keep the faith and if no luck with Sertraline try another. I did try Sertraline a few months ago after talking with the doctor and it send my head west so I simply stopped after a few days - I know they say to not do this but honestly its was horrible how it scrambled my senses it was scary. I'm not having these effects with Citalopram so it shows how they can differ for each individual, I feel a little more edgy and have a sick feeling but I can live with that for now. Best wishes to you.
I've been on a handful of SSRIs, and they never worked for me. Often they made my symptoms worse. I specifically remember Sertraline, since those made me irrationally angry, and I'm not usually an angry person so I stopped those. I eventually found Mirtazipine, and have been in those for 3 years. It's not an SSRI. They increase your appetite and make you sleepy, which is why they aren't very commonly prescribed, but it works for me since I tend to starve myself and not sleep when I'm depressive.

Yes I have heard this about that Mirtazapine and its difficulty in coming off, was it not first designed as an anti-histamine then they somehow saw benefits with helping depression? I can see how they can perhaps help people where lack of sleep is contributing to depression as there is nothing worse than insomnia for making life a lot worse than it already is.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moondazed, real human being and Bells
real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
So antidepressants do help some people ofc, but you should know there are also potential downsides. A billion different physical side effects, emotional numbing which is reported by the majority of users and which I suspect is actually the primary mechanism by which antidepressants work, long term side effects that don't pass even after you stop taking the medication (google pssd), and potentially severe withdrawal side effects when people try to quit. I might make a more detailed post about this at some point. I really don't want to distress anyone who benefits from antidepressants but I do think that people need to know this stuff and most people do not know most of this stuff.

Reactions: Arvinneedstodie, Bells, moondazed and 2 others
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
So antidepressants do help some people ofc, but you should know there are also potential downsides. A billion different physical side effects, emotional numbing which is reported by the majority of users and which I suspect is actually the primary mechanism by which antidepressants work, long term side effects that don't pass even after you stop taking the medication (google pssd), and potentially severe withdrawal side effects when people try to quit. I might make a more detailed post about this at some point. I really don't want to distress anyone who benefits from antidepressants but I do think that people need to know this stuff and most people do not know most of this stuff.
I think people should be aware of stopping meds and things that can happen when you do. Worst of all if you stop cold turkey. It can cause irreversible side effects. I got many that way usually.

So if people decide to stop they should do it very slowly so the body can adapt somewhat.

Reactions: moondazed, Bells and real human being
Bells

Bells

Oct 15, 2023

Many of my friends are on Mirtazipine and I've actually tried them once because my friend offered them to help me fall asleep (and It really made me fall asleep very quickly). Glad to hear that they have somewhat worked for you even though you cannot sleep without them now. I've heard that not being able to sleep without them is quite common for people who try to stop using them which is really unfortunate. Thank you for your response!

With the SSRi medications its more about finding the right one and dosage for you, maybe you need more of the Sertraline and then they will begin to help - this is often patient feedback when you read reviews. Or failing that try another one, it seems from people's experiences that there is a lot of trial and error involved to find one that works for you. They can help and reviews online/research suggests it cannot just be placebo but there are people who are treatment resistance as well. I know many people personally who take them and say they help. Life is hard you'd be surprised how many people are on these medications as obviously its not something people go around advertising..

Many years ago I was in a dark place through the loss of a sibling and I used citalopram, 20mg per day. There was no benefit for around a 3 weeks then one day I woke up and just felt completely different, much brighter in my mood it was bizarre. Then ongoing I just felt more like my old self and a few months later I began to reduce my dose and did not find it effected my happier mood from memory. That's why I've just by coincidence restarted them this week as I'm again in a dark place albeit this time I'm not as confident as the reasons are completely different. I hope they work again though as anything that helps I'll try so keep the faith and if no luck with Sertraline try another. I did try Sertraline a few months ago after talking with the doctor and it send my head west so I simply stopped after a few days - I know they say to not do this but honestly its was horrible how it scrambled my senses it was scary. I'm not having these effects with Citalopram so it shows how they can differ for each individual, I feel a little more edgy and have a sick feeling but I can live with that for now. Best wishes to you.
WOW, thanks for the comprehensive and long answer! My doctor was talking about upping my Sertraline dosage like a week ago when I said that I haven't really noticed any positive or negative effects, so maybe that will help. I'm also open to try other SSRIs to findout if there is a better one for me. Like you said, it can be a lot of trial and error.

I think Sertraline has made me feel more clouded or brain foggy. Also seems that I need to sleep more than before and I feel like it maybe affects my short-term memory? (Not sure though). I don't know if I only imagine it but I feel like it maybe has stabilized my mood a bit, or at least there aren't so huge low-points / high-points in my mood scale as there was before.

I'm sorry for your loss. My siblings are very important to me so I can imagine that your pain was immense. I'm really glad to hear that Citalopram helped you a lot though!

Really bizarre and interesting how different SSRIs can have wildly different effects. Seems like I need to talk about the possibility of upping my dosage or changing my SSRIs medication with my doctor. I think I'm gonna post a new thread or update this one when I up my dosage or change my medication (if my experiences are different from now). Best wishes to you! <3
These are really good points and something that everyone using SSRIs should know and understand!

I did read a lot about SSRIs before using them and I accepted the risks that came with starting and stopping them as I think the risks are worth taking if it really improves my quality of life. I've seen a lot of conversation about PSSD on the internet and it is a real problem for the people who struggle with it. These are risks that people who start SSRIs should know or they should at least be informed about.

Also thanks for acknowledging that there are people who also really benefit from SSRIs without too serious side-effects. Thanks for your answer, wish you the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: real human being and Foreverix
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
The antidepressants that I've tried are: Lexapro, Cymbalta, Elavil, Zoloft, Vybriid, and Paxil, over a period of 14 years. The only atypical antipsychotic I've tried is olanzapine. But that was short lived.

I think Lexapro was the only drug I felt ever really did something for me when I got on 20 MG. Even then, I think a lot of it was placebo effect, but I stayed on it for over a decade.

Personally, I no longer buy into the chemical imbalance theory that is used to explain depression and anxiety. I never had a doctor measure my neurotransmitter levels to see if the drugs were doing what they were intended. Just, "so how are you feeling now?" And even if I felt better, I had no way of knowing if the drug was the cause of that.

PSSD would be the least of my worries. I no longer take any drugs, and I'm still suicidal and struggle with depression and anxiety. But antidepressants do fuck with one's neurochemistry, even in ways that are still not understood. In fact, the exact functions of a lot of these drugs are still not understood well. I find that troubling. It's just my opinion, but I think a lot of it is bullshit. That's just my experience, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arvinneedstodie, Bells, zel and 1 other person
real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
Personally, I no longer buy into the chemical imbalance theory that is used to explain mental illnesses. I never had a doctor measure my neurotransmitter levels to see if the drugs were working. Just, "so how are you feeling now?"
Antidepressants fuck with one's neurochemistry, even in ways that are still not understood. In fact, the ways in which a lot of these drugs work is still not understood well, only hypothesized.
Couldn't agree more. We really have a very limited understanding of how the brain works and to presume that mental issues such as depression and anxiety can be reduced down to 'oh you just need a bit more of this chemical' seems ridiculous to me since even on an intuitive level everybody understands that these issues are complex, and are caused by various factors, both internal and external.

Reactions: Bells and Foreverix
zel

zel

Curiosity killed the cat, eh?
Oct 17, 2023
I am on a few medications. I had to request special permission and access from my psychiatrist to extend my dosage past the recommended safe dosage.
Any unwanted side effects? No, not really.
Have they helped? I have noticed little-to-no effect, despite the fact that in theory I am on enough stuff to tranquilize a bull.

• Aww..
Reactions: Bells and Foreverix
notverylucid

notverylucid

Truth is... the game was rigged from the start
Aug 18, 2023
Prozac, lexapro, then cymbalta. All I stopped taking within the first few weeks of usage because I had an inkling that they weren't going to help beyond the horrendous side effects I was experiencing. I generally have a weaker appetite and these medications nuked it, reducing my usual daily meal + snack to a sliver of bland food every 2–3 days because anything else, anything remotely greasy or flavorful would make me extremely nauseated. It also nuked my libido from its usual state. Now, I just use weed for my depression, which has definitely helped with appetite and mood, but has led to an overreliance and short bouts of sickness when I have a period of overuse.

Reactions: Bells
H

H0110W

Sep 22, 2021
I am on effexor which is an SNRI. It does work and makes my life bearable. It's not the first time I take it, I took it and it worked for me before. Now I'm on it again. Before taking it I was constantly depressed to the point where I could not function anymore. On effexor, most days I feel pretty OK, it makes me functional and social, it let's me enjoy things that I did not enjoy anymore, but it does not take away the suicidal thoughts. Sometimes they are in the background, sometimes they are all I think about.

I'm on the original pill, not the generic one. I tried the generic and it didn't work at all, original Effexor works just fine with almost no side effects to speak of. I feel like I may have to increase the dosage soon, because it's becoming less effective after 6 months or so, or maybe it's my depression getting worse and worse to the point not even the pill works anymore at this dosage.

I only take the pill (one each morning, it's extended release), but I do not do talk therapy or have therapy sessions. I really don't feel like doing therapy so the doctor agreed to put me on effexor for a year and then report back. Maybe I will try talk therapy later on, as a last resort just before committing suicide.

Reactions: Departme
L

letmejoindeath

Kill me
Oct 15, 2023
They increase chemicals in your brain that cause happiness. Except some of the problems we are facing all have solutions. Instead of fixing the problems we just mask it and expect people to go along or something is wrong with you.

I stay depressed but with more dopamine at least! No one is willing to solve any problems or listen to people who have it rough. They want to prescribe the pills and shut them up.

Reactions: divinemistress36
raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023

They can really help you with depression and anxiety. They are really effective, but they come with some side effects. Due to this side effects I'm considering changing or suspending them. These are emotional numbness and sexual disfunction. I recommend you to give them a try if you dont care about this issues :)), they can be really helpful.

Reactions: Departme and Bells
twatingthroughlife

twatingthroughlife

I don't know what I'm doing
Sep 29, 2023

SSRIs helped me for a bit with my depression. They stopped working after a while, though. They also made my ocd worse

Reactions: Departme and Bells
Scattered-Soul

Scattered-Soul

It was an indescribable pain
Oct 2, 2023
I doubt you'd wanna hear about my personal experience but since you're asking, I might as well share it. I took Escitalopram for 9 months in 2020, main reason was emetophobia and panic attacks (I've had severe OCD my entire life but I didn't go to the psychiatrist for that), long story short I experienced almost every negative side effect from day 1, got cognitive impairment, blank mind, emotional blunting, fatigue, depersonalization and derealization (all pretty severe), head pressure, all kinds of burning and pain through my whole body, my skin didn't feel like it was mine and like my identity and soul were gone. As I said, I experienced various other side effects as well but those were the ones that debilitated me the most.

Ended up taking them for 9 months because my psychiatrist wouldn't listen to me and we would both wait for it to get better, I attempted suicide few times because of how unbearable living like that was. Not to mention that it'd just get worse and worse with each day, felt like someone was pouring acid in my brain with each dose. After I stopped the meds nothing changed (except for the sexual dysfunction which got better immediately, I never cared about that though), it's been 3 years since then and I only continued to steadily get worse, the sole reason why I'm even on this forum is because of that. Feels like a miracle that I'm even able to string coherent sentences like these. Oh and it made my OCD worse but that's the least of my problems.

That's the short version of my experience, it's pretty rare for something like this to happen though so I'm sure you'll be fine, I think in your case you might benefit from trying other SSRIs and experimenting with the dosage. I hope you find something that works for your organism with minimal side effects.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: twatingthroughlife, Departme, Bells and 1 other person
jinx <3

jinx <3

💮she/her🏳️‍⚧️
Apr 12, 2023
First things first, if anyone can start SSRIs, they should at least give them a try. I know multiple people who were helped immensely by these meds.

That being said, I recently went on Zoloft for my depression and anxiety. It helped drastically on both fronts. But this was due to a dangerously high manic episode that the Zoloft induced. Off the meds now, taking a mood stabilizer in place of it. I had never experienced proper mania before and I fucking loved it, obviously. Now I'm two weeks on Aripiprazole and waiting for it to actually do something. I know it takes a while, but it still sucks what with the withdrawal symptoms of the Zoloft (mostly extreme restlessness in my case btw). Hope this adds to collective knowledge or helps someone individually, I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: twatingthroughlife and Bells
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Arcanist
Oct 14, 2023
I've been on loads of different ones the side effects weren't too bad for me, but they just didn't seem to actually do anything

C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
I used Mirtazapine in the past. The doctor's advise was to use it everyday, but I quit after a week, because the side effects were too bad.

After that, I only used them once in a while to fall asleep.

From my experience, I found it useful for 'resetting' parts of my hormone axis after it has gone whack due to anxiety, but I don't think it's suitable for everyday use, at least not for me.

PlathWannaBe

PlathWannaBe

Nov 15, 2019
SSRI's destroyed my life. They're the main reason I'm on this forum.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Bells, Foreverix, Scattered-Soul and 1 other person
Teleftaía Anapnoí

Teleftaía Anapnoí

δεν υπάρχει μέλλον
Jul 6, 2023
SSRI's destroyed my life. They're the main reason I'm on this forum.
Same with me. I dont recomend this to anyone, it can help but you never know. It can be neurotoxic, like antipsychotic as well.

• Hugs
  • Informative
  • Aww..
Reactions: PlathWannaBe, Bells and Foreverix
bridgegirl

bridgegirl

life on the edge, I guess
Oct 16, 2023
Prozac was the first; it did nothing for me. I've been on so many over the years. Let's see. At one point I tried mood stabilizers; they made me gain a truly incredible amount of weight in a lightning fast amount of time. I then spent the next two years like a zombie. I would get home from work and not remember driving home. I went off of those (the weight took its time coming off again, blah) and onto a depression med that gave me a severe rash all over my body, and had to stop taking it immediately. They all have side effects, basically. It's hard. The last time I tried them (Wellbutrin) they exacerbated my suicidal urges (which is hard to do, considering, you know?) and I went off them again - that med was one I'd tried before and not had too bad of an experience with, so that was a surprise. There's been others too, but these were the standouts.

• Informative
IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023

SSRIs kill my c*ck. Forget that.

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
SSRIs caused internal bleeding in my bowels after taking them for one year and it's like getting poisoned.

waningmoth

waningmoth

Aug 29, 2023
Im also one of the on a crap ton of meds that ought to sedate me into a barely conscious mess but i somehow dont sedate me and i can still panic animatedly for days at a time despite the highest dose possible for my weight of fluoxitine, a mid range dose of mirtazapine, augmented with olanzapine as an antipsychotic and lorazapam as a prn which impressed the nurses when i continued to run around screaming in a frenzied panic despite being given increasing does of iv lorazapam

ive ocd too, i can say when they added the olanzapine to my fluoxetine and mirtazapine it really helped stabilise me but i gained a lot of weight and have memory symptoms that mimic early dementia. But if i stop taking them my life falls appart rapidly and even months after going back on them i cant shake the new rituals/fears that pop up.

AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
I have a long time ago. I took paxil for a while and all it made me do was feel numb. I'm taking the highest possible dose of wellbutrin and it does a mildly okay job for leveling my mood, but I still go through bouts of existential dread.

A

aGoodDayToDie

Arcanist
Jun 30, 2023
I've been on over 10 ssris over 25 years and they do absolutely FUCK ALL except give me brain zaps and make me lose libido. FUCK that shit

Reactions: dhaak