nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
I stopped at a pharmacy to pick up my propranolol. When I was waiting for my Rx to be filled, a woman pushing a stroller walked up to me and asked, "Why are you wearing a mask? Do you have the coronavirus?"

I said no, just a preventive measure.

She said, "Doctors, nurses and the elderly are the ones who should have masks to wear, not people like you. There's a face mask shortage in the US right now."

I said I have a preexisting respiratory condition and a young child at home. Wearing a mask is necessary.

She said, "You should donate all your masks to people at higher risks and medical professionals who save more people than you."

I said, "Please define 'people like me', and what do you know about me?"

She glared at me, proceeded to drop off her Rx. Then she walked up to an elderly Asian woman (I'm an Asian woman in my 30s) wearing a mask, and asked whether she had the virus, told her she need to donate away all her masks. The elderly woman didn't say a word in response - my guess is she doesn't speak English.

I then asked this woman if she makes this type of demand of every mask-wearing stranger she encounters in the street and whether she's aware that by doing so she places her child and herself in high conflict situations, told her that she should be arrested for harassment and child endangerment, told her to mind her own business and fuck off. She shook her head, rolled her eyes and stormed out of the pharmacy.

There were about 15 people in the pharmacy including 3 Asians, 8 people had a face mask on. It looks like she was targeting Asian women.

The good thing that happened: The pharmacist gave me 12 pills of propranolol for free while I wait for my mail order to arrive.

Stay safe out there, folks. Coronavirus is not the only threat, so are some fellow humans.

• Hmph!
  • Love
Reactions: bayarea, zeroambition, voyager and 18 others
lazy.depressed

lazy.depressed

Health is a myth
Nov 9, 2019
I would not wanna meet that lady, good job talking to her, pal. And congrats on the free pills, you deserve them

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, highlyvolatile, nitrogen and 1 other person
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
Fellow humans have always been threats in my mind,way bigger than any virus..Sorry you dealt with a shitty asshole out there.She should have just kept her mouth shut handled/minded her own buisness.That said, I know I could be a shitty asshole now and then as well.

I fear before this is all over it may bring out the worst in people..But on the flip side it could bring out the best in some.Such is this life,((amplified)) as it is at this time.

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, voyager, LADY007 and 4 others
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
That woman was an opinionated CUNT and i'm glad you told her off.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager, puppy9, NoCoast and 3 others
Ame

Ame

あめ
Nov 1, 2019
I'm so sorry that you've had such a terrible experience when you were doing what was in the best interest of your family's health and that of your community. I understand that a lot of people are under a great deal of stress but harassing others for doing the right thing isn't justified at all. I'm glad that you were able to deal with the situation without having things escalate. I don't know if I would have been able to react to this situation with the same grace as you - I probably would have said nothing ha ha! The sad part about this is that these kind of comments usually come from the same kind of people who - just a couple of months ago - would have insisted that anyone who appears even remotely Asian ought to be be wearing a mask, if not, quarantined. It is also rich that she was going off on someone who literally studied medicine (if I am not mistaken).

A personal experience under a spoiler so as to not derail the thread:

Some time last month I had to take my younger brother to the emergency room for an injury. For some background, while there were a few cases of COVID-19 in my country, there were no confirmed cases in my region and things had not yet "blown up" around the world. Upon arrival, we were made to wear masks and asked about our recent travel history. This measure was entirely justified, because my brother was still getting over a bout of the (run of the mill seasonal) flu and was still presenting symptoms...so you know, proper protocol and all that. I did not, however, appreciate being made to feel as though we were being interrogated and as if I were somehow lying about where we have been. If I say that I am sure that I haven't been somewhere, then I need not be asked over and over before I am allowed to go into triage.

There was a woman in the waiting room who was sure to make it known - with all of the subtlety of an elephant charging through a fine china boutique - that she was horrified by "these Chinese people being allowed to sit in the room with everyone else". In retrospect, I sort of wish that I gave her a friendly hand wave, just so she knew that I could see her side eyeing us.

Bonus point: A quick visual survey of the waiting room revealed that the majority of those wearing masks just so happened to be from a certain part of the world...I'll leave it to the reader to guess which part.

At least your visit to the pharmacy wasn't all bad. I do wish you and your family all the best though. I hope that everyone takes good care and stays healthy! As odd as it might be to say in this place, I extend that wish to everyone here too.

• Hugs
  • Hmph!
  • Love
Reactions: Blu_1, voyager, puppy9 and 5 others
nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
@Ame I've always enjoyed reading your posts. I find them of the highest quality on this site. :happy::heart: . Except.....for the fond size, lol. :pfff:

I'm surprised this woman I encountered today didn't call me Chinese virus. Recent violence against Asians can be a lot nastier than a brief bickering episode although the pandemic's origin hasn't been confirmed.

I don't know if I would have been able to react to this situation with the same grace as you - I probably would have said nothing ha ha!
I figured my silence would only fuel her confidence in harassing more people. I think she'll tone it down a bit as she seemed very distraught when she left the pharmacy.

There was a woman in the waiting room who was sure to make it known - with all of the subtlety of an elephant charging through a fine china boutique - that she was horrified by "these Chinese people being allowed to sit in the room with everyone else". In retrospect, I sort of wish that I gave her a friendly hand wave, just so she knew that I could see her side eyeing us.
Sounds like that woman WANTED you to hear her and know she was side-eyeing you. What she said to you is more offensive than what I've been told today. I'd react with more viciousness and less grace if I were in your situation. :ahhha:

And congrats on the free pills, you deserve them
I actually doubt I deserve them. The extra pills aren't covered under my insurance but the pharmacist overrode it, winked at me. The propranolol is for SN ctb. I hope my shrink and the pharmacist wouldn't get into trouble if I do eventually carry through with it.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager, Ame and highlyvolatile
Sabriel

Sabriel

for in that sleep of death what dreams may come
Jul 23, 2019
I have met with the same sort of hostility in the past few weeks and have not known how to even respond...and I just wanted to say I'm SO glad to hear that you put that woman in her place and didn't just let that racist bs slide! It makes me so angry because I've experienced that sort of racism my entire life...always told to be quiet and not react...and now with everything how it is...wow what a time to be alive huh? Anyway thanks for sharing, I hardly ever post actual responses to threads but I really and truly relate to this one. And glad to hear you got your pills! (Kind of a fan of your posts btw, you tell no lies)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voyager, Ame and nitrogen
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Some people really do just need to be told to fuck off.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voyager, NoCoast, Green Destiny and 4 others
nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
I have met with the same sort of hostility in the past few weeks and have not known how to even respond..

always told to be quiet and not react.
Well, I do pick my fight. This was a pharmacy at a hospital with security guards around, and the woman had a kid with her, so it was unlikely I'd get physically attacked.

If I were in the street, a 6'3" redneck with a tiger tattoo on his left arm and a dragon tattoo on his right arm told me the same thing, I'd just pretend to be deaf. :pfff:

I've experienced that sort of racism my entire life
Are you Asian, too?

Kind of a fan of your posts btw, you tell no lies
Oh, thank you. I'm flattered. :happy:

• Love
Reactions: voyager
NoGameNoLife

NoGameNoLife

Because screw life. I didn't ask to be born.
Jun 29, 2019
Ugh, what a racist piece of human excrement!
Even if one is younger/no preexisting conditions they can still spread it to people who are high risk.
That woman is seriously a moron.

Reactions: Lefty and nitrogen
L

Lefty

Mage
Dec 7, 2018
I am so tired of people like this. Good for you telling her off.

Reactions: voyager and nitrogen
Sabriel

Sabriel

for in that sleep of death what dreams may come
Jul 23, 2019
Well, I do pick my fight. This was a pharmacy at a hospital with security guards around, and the woman had a kid with her, so it was unlikely I'd get physically attacked.

If I were in the street, a 6'3" redneck with a tiger tattoo on his left arm and a dragon tattoo on his right arm told me the same thing, I'd just pretend to be deaf. :pfff:

Are you Asian, too?

Oh, thank you. I'm flattered. :happy:

Yup, also an Asian woman in her 30s. Solidarity? haha

• Love
Reactions: nitrogen
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
People are so stupid and easy to rally anyhow. Didn't even get the Asian connection at first. But did indeed figure you were nitrogen. I googled "Funeral Stripper", you see, I just couldn't resist, and it's a big thing in China. Hehe. But you know that. And you were also our China correspondent when it came to the outbreak of Corona. You live in San Francisco. Seemed likely. Beautiful city, btw. Anyway, people should just mind their own fucking business. Well done.

PS: And agree, Ame you need to use bigger fonts. hehe :hihi:

• Love
Reactions: nitrogen and Ame