• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
I'm honestly all over the place and second guessing every detail of this setup but rn i am set on Full Suspention Hanging.

I was thinking of using the Attic above this room to attach the rope to and simply pulling it through the Ceiling and hanging from that.

My worry is that the Attic won't be able to support my weight. I have a setup that would spread the weight across mutiple joists but i'm not sure if thats enough.

If anyone has any enginering or building experience i would really apppreciate the help

Reactions: seekingrelease22
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I'm not an architect but honestly you're worried the beams used to construct the attic are not strong enough to hold 3-4 times your body weight?

What I also do not understand is - do you drill holes through your ceiling into the attic to attach the rope to the beams there and the noose is in your room then?

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
I'm not an architect but honestly you're worried the beams used to construct the attic are not strong enough to hold 3-4 times your body weight?

What I also do not understand is - do you drill holes through your ceiling into the attic to attach the rope to the beams there and the noose is in your room then?
Yes , My plan was to go into the attic and attach a large piece of wood across mutliple floor beams and then attach the rope to that and make a small hole in the ceiling of my room and slip the rope through

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
Yes , My plan was to go into the attic and attach a large piece of wood across mutliple floor beams and then attach the rope to that and make a small hole in the ceiling of my room and slip the rope through
Idk about your attic but the attics I know about have already strong beams where you could attach a rope to there wouldn't be any need to use another piece of wood in between those beams?!

You could make photos and maybe a simple drawing of your setup / plan so people with more knowledge about hanging setup can reply.

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
Idk about your attic but the attics I know about have already strong beams where you could attach a rope to there wouldn't be any need to use another piece of wood in between those beams?!

You could make photos and maybe a simple drawing of your setup / plan so people with more knowledge about hanging setup can reply.
i'll try and put together an illustration of the setup. Initially i assumed it would be able to handle my weight but after reading online i saw alot of info that said most attic floors arent made to support weight how regular room floors are.

So i'm really concerned about the whole ceiling collapsing on me

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
4.I.2.Must.Die

4.I.2.Must.Die

Up with life I cannot put 🙅 ✋ Where's the exit 🔚
Nov 8, 2023

So just to be clear, 3-4 times your bodyweight is mentioned as a guideline for ropes not anchor points. And the reason why 3-4 times your bodyweight is mentioned for ropes has nothing to do with the swinging of your body during convulsions (which many incorrectly assume is why) it's actually because a knot (whatever knot it is) can only bear a percentage of the total strength of the rope.

So basically if a knot only supports 40% of the total of the rope (at best) and if your knot in reality isn't brilliant and therefore actually only supports 28% then basically saying 3-4 times your bodyweight easily covers any fuckups with the ligature knots. And don't forget that you've got an anchor point knot and the noose, so with 2 potential failure points 3-4 times bodyweight now looks very safe for that reason.

Also ligature total capacity ratings are often rated lower than what they actually are amyway, but to be safe the 3-4 rules probably presumes that it's better to assume itogjt not even quite support its max weight capacity. The anchor point itself only needs to support your bodyweight plus an extra 10-20% to account for convulsion swings which won't exert much force on a fixed point or even the ligature itself but definitely the knots securing the ligature.

@Amaree

Last edited:
P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
So just to be clear, 3-4 times your bodyweight is mentioned as a guideline for ropes not anchor points. And the reason why 3-4 times your bodyweight is mentioned for ropes has nothing to do with the swinging of your body during convulsions (which many incorrectly assume is why) it's actually because a knot (whatever knot it is) can only bear a percentage of the total strength of the rope.
Thx for clarifying this. It's about the rope itself, too.

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
i'm unable to get into the attic right now to take exact measurements but it looks something like this IMG 20240307 052323
My plan was to lay a piece of Strong wood Perpendicular to these wood joints. Then Attach the rope to the new plank and make a hole in the floor (The plaster Celing to the room below) and slip the rope through.

i can provide better measurements of the joints later if that helps.

4.I.2.Must.Die

4.I.2.Must.Die

Nov 8, 2023
Thx for clarifying this. It's about the rope itself, too.
We'll agree to disagree unless you can explain why given that the way ropes generally tend to be tested by the manufacturer (especially dock and climbing ropes) is to do with both tortion and sway movement 🤨🙄. The exceptions possibly being cheap shitty twisted ropes which I think even you have the sense to advise against.

i'm unable to get into the attic right now to take exact measurements but it looks something like thisView attachment 131283
My plan was to lay a piece of Strong wood Perpendicular to these wood joints. Then Attach the rope to the new plank and make a hole in the floor (The plaster Celing to the room below) and slip the rope through.

i can provide better measurements of the joints later if that helps.
They should comfortably hold providing the planks doesn't fall away and pull through the plasterboard. You can test this easily enough by sitting on the plank. Polyesyer Double braided mooring rope can be purchased from many places online (like eBay) and comes with a loop/splice woven into the end so you wouldn't need to do an anchor point knot as you can just put the loop over the plank and thread the other end through.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
We'll agree to disagree unless you can explain why given that the way ropes generally tend to be tested by the manufacturer (especially dock and climbing ropes) is to do with both tortion and sway movement 🤨🙄. The exceptions possibly being cheap shitty twisted ropes which I think even you have the sense to advise against.

They should comfortably hold providing the planks doesn't fall away and pull through the plasterboard. You can test this easily enough by sitting on the plank. Polyesyer Double braided mooring rope can be purchased from many places online (like eBay) and comes with a loop/splice woven into the end so you wouldn't need to do an anchor point knot as you can just put the loop over the plank and thread the other end through.
I would probably screw the plank into the joists to stop it from slipping But my concern is that when i go to test it or during the actual attempt the weight will pull the ceiling in. Theres alot of conflicting info online about the strength of attic joists which has left me confused

4.I.2.Must.Die

4.I.2.Must.Die

Nov 8, 2023
I would probably screw the plank into the joists to stop it from slipping But my concern is that when i go to test it or during the actual attempt the weight will pull the ceiling in. Theres alot of conflicting info online about the strength of attic joists which has left me confused
They should definitely support your weight otherwise how would people be able to walk/crawl around their attics? Normally most of them have planks fixed to the joists to allow you to move and the rule of thumb is to simply never step between the joists.

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
They should definitely support your weight otherwise how would people be able to walk/crawl around their attics? Normally most of them have planks fixed to the joists to allow you to move and the rule of thumb is to simply never step between the joists.
its probably just me being paranoid about having a failed attempt , but all ive found online is that if the attic isnt converted to support extra weight then you should be careful not to put too much pressure on the joints and also with my Full Suspention setup there will be a drop so i imagine that will add to the force placed to the joints compared to regular walking

4.I.2.Must.Die

4.I.2.Must.Die

Nov 8, 2023
its probably just me being paranoid about having a failed attempt , but all ive found online is that if the attic isnt converted to support extra weight then you should be careful not to put too much pressure on the joints and also with my Full Suspention setup there will be a drop so i imagine that will add to the force placed to the joints compared to regular walking
Try lowering without too much of a sudden drop plus the more joists you put the plank on the more your load is divided, you're not just putting it on one or two joists after all.

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
Try lowering without too much of a sudden drop plus the more joists you put the plank on the more your load is divided, you're not just putting it on one or two joists after all.
I'm not sure how to lower down without a sudden drop , i have a chair that will get kicked out and pushed across the room

4.I.2.Must.Die

4.I.2.Must.Die

Nov 8, 2023
I'm not sure how to lower down without a sudden drop , i have a chair that will get kicked out and pushed across the room
It depends on how much you drop when you step off the chair. You can always kick it away once you've actually dropped into position rather than before you fully step off the chair. Also bear in mind that if for some unlikely reason this fails then you'll have to pick up the bill for that damaged ceiling 😕

Amaree

Amaree

Jun 15, 2021
It depends on how much you drop when you step off the chair. You can always kick it away once you've actually dropped into position rather than before you fully step off the chair. Also bear in mind that if for some unlikely reason this fails then you'll have to pick up the bill for that damaged ceiling 😕
Honestly thats mostly what i'm afraid of , if the setup fails and the Ceiling breaks then i'm pretty much screwed and won't get another chance. Sadly thats the only viable anchor point i can find