N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

It is German public broadcasting. Well I agree social medida can be very toxic for one's mental health. Instagram makes me so fucking depressed and sad. The underlying message of this video though I don't agree with. There are some points I agree with. But as a member of this forum it is only logical that I disagree.

Here are some points I considered questionable.
They say the ethic rules for reporting about suicide contains inter alia...

...never to depict suicide as a comprehensible decision. I am not sure whether this is a good translation. One could also say it should not be portrayed as rational or reasonable. And personally I heavily disagree there are situationn (like for example mine) where suicide can be very reasonable and thought through.

At minute 13-14 they say every single content (on social media) which might be potentially dangerous which theoretically could increase the suicdiality is one too much. This mindset is so fucking stupid. The reasons for suicide are extremely heterogenous. People can get triggered by all sorts of things if it is connected to one's traumate. If one applies that logic one had to shut down the whole fucking internet. Not even to imagine that being pro-choice on the topic suicide and expressing that feeling should be part of freedom of speech. Probably they would like to apply the toxic positivity suicide rules of facebook to the whole internet. Where expressing suicide is prohibited. And there are stories where exactly the opposite happened of the intentioned effect and people killed themselves because they were hurt for being banned for expressing their honest feelings. And people (bullies) abused the reporting rules. The notion one could ban everything that potentially increases suicide is completely ridiculous. This would end in massive censorship far far beyond 1984 and I don't necessarily like to use this comparison in this instance.

Morever they themselves say the reasons for suicide are very diverse and always multiple factors come into play. But when you see the coverage about this forum the media acts like this forum was the reason for the spike in suicides on not for example the covid19 crisis which would be ockham's razor instead.

One person (an online influencer) talks about her suicidality. And she depicts it like her clinic stays were the best time of her life. I see they want to encourage recovery to people. And personally I agree one should seriously consider recovery before committig suicide. I see suicide as the last resort. However my first clinic stays were certainly not pleasant. I was at rock bottom and I am very sad when I think about the time. To depict it like a clinic stay will be the best time of your life which only has positive sides... that seems misleading to me. I have met a lot of broken people in my clinic stays. The day clinics were very good for my mental health though. But other clinic stays really not that much. It also involves a lot of hard work to go there and to work on your habits.

I give you a D- for your video. "Der Schüler war sichtlich bemüht und hat versucht was er konnte..." (not really a compliment though)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep, rozeske, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
Ganz ehrlich ich hasse diese ganzen paternalistischen und belehrenden Beitrage immer bei den Öffis.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and noname223
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Suicide content exists bc it was written by people who were suicidal already. Imo in most cases (not all cases bc the topic is complex) external circumstances make people suicidal in all ages. Social media and the internet make it easier for suicidal people to express themselves. That content exists bc it was written from suicidal people not from totally healthy people who weren't suicidal at all just to make others suicidal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu