• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

cantthinkofusername

cantthinkofusername

wannabe girl
Feb 25, 2024
what should i expect? its supposed to be like 2 hrs and im nervous about it because i have no idea what its like
help

pebpebpebpeb

pebpebpebpeb

i have no enemies
Apr 1, 2020
is it for medicine, or therapy?

also, it is completely different for every therapist and person. my advice is to be honest, and don't be scared of getting emotional. people cry, i've cried in almost every session the past couple of months. don't hold yourself back, this person is here to help you, if you lie about things you are simply making things worse for yourself. and if you lie, the psychiatrist cannot help you to their full ability.

pyamu

pyamu

love u so much u guys r the only nice ones left
Dec 14, 2021
How did u set it up

K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
what should i expect? its supposed to be like 2 hrs and im nervous about it because i have no idea what its like
help
You'll come in (probably after waiting in the waiting room a bit). You'll exchange pleasantries briefly. They'll ask you why you're there and you'll explain it. Beyond that it depends on the person.

I've mostly had experiences with psychologists. When I've gone to psychiatrists it has mostly just been a brief chat for meds. But with two hours I imagine that won't be the case with you.

In the case of psychologists at least the specifics really depend heavily on the method they use as there are many. Personally, I'm a fan of a practical approach with cognitive behavioural therapy.

Psychiatrists are not allowed to share your info with anyone else so feel free to be very honest. It works the best.

And, sidenote, don't be afraid to just ask your psychiatrist about what you're meant to do. Trust is important for good therapy.

Last edited:
Reactions: cantthinkofusername
nonentity

nonentity

professional fool
Apr 5, 2023
it's really scary going into a pysch appt for intake - it's intimidating, but what the others said, be honest, open, and really try to be transparent so they can help you as much as possible

ask questions about anything you're curious about, that's what they're there for -- if they prescribe you medication, ask how it helps, what the side effects are, what to expect

knowledge helps ease apprehension and worries, and just make sure to take deep breaths, it will be difficult, but it'll be worth it

• Love
Reactions: cantthinkofusername
cantthinkofusername

cantthinkofusername

wannabe girl
Feb 25, 2024
is it for medicine, or therapy?

also, it is completely different for every therapist and person. my advice is to be honest, and don't be scared of getting emotional. people cry, i've cried in almost every session the past couple of months. don't hold yourself back, this person is here to help you, if you lie about things you are simply making things worse for yourself. and if you lie, the psychiatrist cannot help you to their full ability.
i think for medicine, i have a sepatate therapist

thanks
How did u set it up
i went in for regular check up, my doctor saw hospitalization record, they gave me a referal to a mental health place, they had me talk to a social worker, then therapist, for intake, and then now psychiatrist

Reactions: pebpebpebpeb
J

J&L383

Experienced
Jul 18, 2023
Mostly, for psychiatrists they're going to steer you towards the medical model, meaning prescriptions. But I had one psychiatrist who was more into psychotherapy but that seems rare. And if and when they start talking drugs, ask for specifics about what it can do and what they side effects are. I've always had more side effects than "good" effects but "drugs" have worked for many people. (Including my twin brother, but not for me 🤷‍♂️☹️)

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
There's not much to say since every psychiatrist is different. I've had many.

You can list things you want to share/discuss. There's only so much you can talk about in 2 hrs.