B

baabbaabbaab

Student
Dec 12, 2023

What are your thoughts about it ?

Hanging is depicted, especially at the end when they interview survivors, as being actually painful, not certain, not clean.

After diving into other studies, rates are all over the place...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22333907/ : "survival is very rare"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31791066/ : 53% of death rate (overall 8,5% fatal rate...)

It's so hard to get an actual view of this. And it's all over the place on the forum, there are so many threads with so many various information from different people, generally without any source...

Last edited:
casual_existence

casual_existence

Student
Jul 29, 2023
Considering how they actively want to deter people from hanging by showing how the body might look or that it's actually a difficult painful thing if not planned out then I think that they have every reason to find studies that might induce a sense of urgency in anyone that might review this study. At any rate those numbers are pretty good for someone that might look to off themselves.
For the people that failed it seems that it was impulsive or not planned out all too well. I think this is true of most any method or anything. If you don't plan things you probably won't succeed.
Either way a good number of them have had previous attempts and some even had a relatively high suicide risk even after the fact so it seems that failed attempts might not deter people which we can see on this very forum since some have failed and are still here.
If ultimately hanging is unacceptable for someone then with enough research one can find any other number of methods. Not nearly as accessible as hanging but again with enough thought it can be done.

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Success comes with planning. It is a very simple method once you have a good plan.
Strong rope
Solid tie-off point
Sufficient height
A knot that slides easily
30 minites alone
All simple, but any one item can cause failure if not researched and setup correctly.

Reactions: TapeMachine and Deleted member 65988
D

Deleted member 65988

Success comes with planning. It is a very simple method once you have a good plan.
Strong rope
Solid tie-off point
Sufficient height
A knot that slides easily
30 minites alone
All simple, but any one item can cause failure if not researched and setup correctly.
This looks like a to-do list for hanging.

B

baabbaabbaab

Student
Dec 12, 2023
There are still many questions about where to place the knot and the rope without suffocating and... SI. Rope : above, below Adam's apple, close to jaw ? With the knot behind or in the front ? Nobody who has succeeded can tell us how it went and we're on our own for most of it. It's very tough and you need to be very impulsive to go for it and face pain and heavy discomfort in order to... die.

Also I'm puzzled because : some here have said if you really want it, hanging is the best way. You don't have to search for your sweet spot and just go for it. Because many people succeeded without many planning, with a power supply, bedsheet... But I've read many failed attempts here and people are still here 2 years later or other failed attempts besides hanging like in the first link I provided.

It's difficult cause I don't know the real intent of the members here. I can't tell if the advice is genuine or if he is spending some time answering around or if he is just repeating what he read from others, etc.

I know it's not a sure science. And we try here to minimize the risks. But, here, many people plan and take time : I feel it gives more power to SI and make us lean towards safer methods, which are mostly unavailable anymore.

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Put the rope high, it will go there anyway and that would really hurt. The sliding knot toward the back of your head to apply even pressure.
You pass out quickly if done right.
You only suffocate if the setup is very wrong. Do it right!