Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
Who are you? Why should I listen to you? Can I trust you?

I am a suicidal woman that has been studying about hanging for more than five years. I have attempted suicide by hanging a few times in the past, and I plan on dying by full suspension hanging. I have studied about hanging from various different sources, which include guides, videos and testimonials. I have experimented with hanging for long enough and with enough intensity to believe that I am in a position where I can share my knowledge with others that are interested in hanging.

Is this guide right for me?

Well, it depends. Do you want to learn how to hang yourself? If yes, this is the guide for you. This guide is aimed at complete beginners, and doesn't rely on you having any prior knowledge about hanging. Also, this guide is suitable for you even if you don't have a place to hang yourself from (yet). My aim is to get you from inexperienced to ready for full suspension hanging.

Why are you making this guide? I've seen some other guide(s) around, are they not good enough?

I am quite sure that there are other guides around, but I've also seen plenty of conflicting or erroneous information, which led quite a few people to be unsure about details (sometimes, quite important information). Also, this guide will contain the bare-minimum, practical information on hanging, without any of the theoretical fluff that you could find in other guides. It will be straight to the point, with clear, concise information.

Why is this guide about full suspension hanging instead of partial suspension hanging or night-night?

The reason for that is because partial suspension hanging is so, so difficult to pull off that you're better off not attempting suicide in the first place. Believe me, I was fixated on partial suspension hanging for the longest time. I actually thought I could reliably die from partial suspension hanging. I just want the best for you all, I don't want to see you waste your time and be disappointed, so I'm gonna teach you how to do full suspension hanging instead. Also, night-night is even more of a waste of time, don't even bother with that.

Is this going to be a drop hanging? Will I be breaking my neck?

No, you won't be breaking your neck. There's a misconception that by breaking your neck you will die instantly or lose consciousness instantly. This is not true. Instead, what breaking your neck does is paralyze you making you unable to move. That's why it looks like they are dead. We'll be focusing on full suspension hanging, where our main objective is to compress the carotid arteries, which will lead to unconsciousness within 20 seconds, followed by death.

Where are the carotid arteries located?

The carotid arteries are located in the sides your neck. They are most exposed towards the upper part of your neck. You can feel the pulse of your carotid arteries by placing your fingers on the upper part of your neck: it will feel like a strong pulse.

What type of ligature should I use to hang myself?

You need a rope to hang yourself. Some people say that you can get away with an extension cord, a belt, a necktie, etc. but I have heard stories of them snapping during a full suspension hanging attempt. Is it worth the risk, considering you could end up with severe brain damage if your hanging attempt is suddenly interrupted? That's why I recommend a rope. I recommend 12mm braided polyester or polypropylene rope. They should support pretty much anyone with an average weight, but always make sure you check the "safe working load" of whatever rope you're buying.

What type of knot should I use for the noose on my neck?

You should use a noose knot (not a hangman's knot). Check out this video:

What type of knot should I use for the anchor point?

You should use a bowline knot for the anchor point. Check out this video:
With this knot you can even tie a knot to anchor points that are too high up for you.

Where can I find a good anchor point for full suspension hanging?

Check around your house first: does anything look sturdy enough to hold your full body weight? I realize that finding an anchor point for full suspension hanging inside a house might be very hard (if not impossible) for some. So I decided to write a guide on how to find a suitable anchor point outside your house. Please take a look: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...hor-point-for-full-suspension-hanging.175101/.

Should I put anything between the rope and my neck?

Yes. I recommend you put something light such as a tablecloth or a plastic bag. This is to reduce friction of the rope against your neck, to ensure that the rope can constrict your neck smoothly and to ensure that you don't get a rope burn. If you are particularly heavy (say more than 100 kg), you could even use a towel as padding for your neck.

When should I do it?

You should do this when you know that your hanging attempt won't get interrupted for 30 minutes.
And, if you're doing this outside, just do it at night. Preferably during the winter, so the night is even darker, that way nobody will be able to interrupt you from hanging yourself.

How should it be done?

Follow the three basic rules on full suspension hanging. More details on https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...self-aka-most-common-hanging-mistakes.174897/

This is the end of this short guide. I hope this is of help to you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Zhendou, dinosavr, exitingtothevoid and 17 others
L

LJ85

Future Airdancer
May 20, 2024
Thanks for all the hard work you put into your various posts on this subject!

• Love
Reactions: idontfeellikeimreal and Evelyn Lane
Gustav Hartmann

Gustav Hartmann

Mage
Aug 28, 2021
What is your aim? Why are you still alive? Is it for you more satisfying to help others than finding your own death?

I was hanged a number of times by partners who let me down as soon as I blacked out, it is kind of addictive. But the problem is not the method, the problem is the survival instinkt.

• Aww..
Reactions: kinderbueno
Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
What is your aim? Why are you still alive? Is it for you more satisfying to help others than finding your own death?

I was hanged a number of times by partners who let me down as soon as I blacked out, it is kind of addictive. But the problem is not the method, the problem is the survival instinkt.
Those questions go beyond the scope of this thread. Also, why do you care? We're on a suicide forum, you can ask those same questions to literally anyone else. My aim is to inform others.

Reactions: Zhendou, RainAndSadness and kinderbueno
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018

Members have been writing guides in this forum since 2018. The reason is simple, there are people, myself included, who believe in the right to die and think giving adults access to information and ressources will empower them to make their own decisions and give them back control over their own life.

Reactions: Zhendou, kinderbueno, skybroke and 1 other person
TheFallen

TheFallen

Jan 10, 2024
I always wonder if it is possible to somehow set up a hanging attempt, balance on a stool etc, secure the knot then take something to make yourself pass-out so you will drop down already unconscious. Have you thought about this? Maybe it's daft. But at least it might bypass having to consciously kick the stool away?

• Love
Reactions: Zhendou and LJ85
Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
I always wonder if it is possible to somehow set up a hanging attempt, balance on a stool etc, secure the knot then take something to make yourself pass-out so you will drop down already unconscious. Have you thought about this? Maybe it's daft. But at least it might bypass having to consciously kick the stool away?
That's a nice idea, but I don't know of anything that causes immediate unconsciousness that might be easily available.

Reactions: TheFallen
trappedinthislife

trappedinthislife

Student
May 13, 2024

some people wants to help others before dying. I do want that too, I plan on CTBing one day but until that day comes I'll spread the information on this site and what I know to those who seek it. I know there is someone out there asking themselves how to exit this hell, and I hope to be able to help them make it before joining them.

Reactions: kinderbueno and Evelyn Lane
TheFallen

TheFallen

Jan 10, 2024
That's a nice idea, but I don't know of anything that causes immediate unconsciousness that might be easily available.
I don't really know anything about medications. But I thought there must be something. Even if you stand there for a few minutes. Would put a stop to any pulling on the rope also...

Reactions: kinderbueno
P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
I don't really know anything about medications. But I thought there must be something. Even if you stand there for a few minutes. Would put a stop to any pulling on the rope also...
Could you take some benzo 10mins before standing on the stool? I guess risk is not coordinating yourself well enough to get the noose on properly. I like the concept though. Probably the stool would have to be pretty wobbly too to ensure you actually fell off it.

Reactions: TheFallen
C

Caesarion

Aug 12, 2024
The reason for that is because partial suspension hanging is so, so difficult to pull off that you're better off not attempting suicide in the first place. Believe me, I was fixated on partial suspension hanging for the longest time. I actually thought I could reliably die from partial suspension hanging. I just want the best for you all, I don't want to see you waste your time and be disappointed, so I'm gonna teach you how to do full suspension hanging instead. Also, night-night is even more of a waste of time, don't even bother with that.
The standard drop involves a drop of between 4 and 6 feet (1.2–1.8 m) and came into use from 1866, when the scientific details were published by Irish doctor Samuel Haughton. Its use rapidly spread to English-speaking countries and those with judicial systems of English origin.

It was considered a humane improvement on the short drop because it was intended to be enough to break the person's neck, causing immediate unconsciousness and rapid brain death.

This is from wikipedia, is it truely wrong?

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
The standard drop involves a drop of between 4 and 6 feet (1.2–1.8 m) and came into use from 1866, when the scientific details were published by Irish doctor Samuel Haughton. Its use rapidly spread to English-speaking countries and those with judicial systems of English origin.

It was considered a humane improvement on the short drop because it was intended to be enough to break the person's neck, causing immediate unconsciousness and rapid brain death.

Yes, it's a common misconception. For example, people that break their neck are paralyzed from the neck down, but still conscious. It's pretty much the same thing.

H

hadenoughscotland

Jun 13, 2024
some people wants to help others before dying. I do want that too, I plan on CTBing one day but until that day comes I'll spread the information on this site and what I know to those who seek it. I know there is someone out there asking themselves how to exit this hell, and I hope to be able to help them make it before joining them.
Help pm dm e

Kokonoe

Kokonoe

Worthless
Apr 20, 2023
If rope isn't an option, are there any alternatives I could try?
I don't have rope or any way to get rope, so I would need to use something else. I know the concern with other materials is it snapping mid-attempt, but I'm pretty light (~115lbs.), so maybe there is something else that could work?

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
If rope isn't an option, are there any alternatives I could try?
I don't have rope or any way to get rope, so I would need to use something else. I know the concern with other materials is it snapping mid-attempt, but I'm pretty light (~115lbs.), so maybe there is something else that could work?
I suppose you could use bed sheets, since I've never heard bad things about them. It may or may not be more uncomfortable than a rope.

What's the reason why you can't get a rope?

finallydone

finallydone

Aug 18, 2024
@Evelyn Lane
i've been planning to hang myself lately, and after doing some research i've decided it would be using the drop hang method, where i planned on using a hangsman knot and a 2.6m of 8mm rope attached to the end of a reinforced metal bar attached to a 5m electricity pole
but off the bat i felt that the rope thickness wasn't enough to support the drop considering i weigh approximately 62kg, so i decided i would fold the rope to double it's thickness but it came out uneven where one side had all the tension and the other stayed loose

luckily this morning i stumbled upon this forum whilst researching the "perfect" rope thickness for the drop hang, and to my surprise it seems like the drop hang doesn't even work

so i had to ask an expert like 2 questions :

1- what if the drop hang was from enough height that the head gets decapitated ?

2- assuming that the drop hang doesn't work either ways, do you think that my 8mm rope is capable of doing the job when performing a full suspension hang ?

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
@Evelyn Lane
i've been planning to hang myself lately, and after doing some research i've decided it would be using the drop hang method, where i planned on using a hangsman knot and a 2.6m of 8mm rope attached to the end of a reinforced metal bar attached to a 5m electricity pole
but off the bat i felt that the rope thickness wasn't enough to support the drop considering i weigh approximately 62kg, so i decided i would fold the rope to double it's thickness but it came out uneven where one side had all the tension and the other stayed loose

luckily this morning i stumbled upon this forum whilst researching the "perfect" rope thickness for the drop hang, and to my surprise it seems like the drop hang doesn't even work

so i had to ask an expert like 2 questions :

1- what if the drop hang was from enough height that the head gets decapitated ?

2- assuming that the drop hang doesn't work either ways, do you think that my 8mm rope is capable of doing the job when performing a full suspension hang ?
1) Well, that'd be painful, I imagine. Not only that but you'd also need a high enough place to pull that off. And even then, it's not guaranteed to decapitate you.

2) 8mm is a bit too thin, I'd say. I always recommend 12mm for best results. But with all ropes, you should check the safe working load.

finallydone

finallydone

Aug 18, 2024
1) Well, that'd be painful, I imagine. Not only that but you'd also need a high enough place to pull that off. And even then, it's not guaranteed to decapitate you.

2) 8mm is a bit too thin, I'd say. I always recommend 12mm for best results. But with all ropes, you should check the safe working load.
i need one more clarification, since where i live they don't mention the workload of a rope :
should i try hanging from that rope, say... for 1 min using my hands and if it didn't fail would that mean it's good to use ? also doesn't a thinner rope seem like a better option since it will dig deeper into your neck thus cutting the circulation much faster ?

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
i need one more clarification, since where i live they don't mention the workload of a rope :
should i try hanging from that rope, say... for 1 min using my hands and if it didn't fail would that mean it's good to use ? also doesn't a thinner rope seem like a better option since it will dig deeper into your neck thus cutting the circulation much faster ?
Yes, that's a good thing about a thinner rope, but I'm afraid it would be a bit more uncomfortable, while also increasing the risk of snapping. If I were you I'd just buy a new, thicker rope, but that's just my advice.

How can you hang yourself for a minute using your hand? I don't get it.

Edit: Oh, I think I get what you mean by hanging with your hands: do you mean you'll use your hands instead of your head to test it out? If so, that should be fine, yeah. If it holds your weight for a minute, I don't see any issues.

Last edited:
Gustav Hartmann

Gustav Hartmann

Mage
Aug 28, 2021

After loosing consciousness a hanged person moves a lot: Convulsions, decorticate and decerbrate rigidity as well as rhythmic abdominal respiratory movements. This was misinterpreted as conscious movements.
Drop hanging is very sophisticated, the lenght of the drop is not the only influencing factor, the stiffness of the rope (a bungee rope would not work) and the stiffnes of neck is also important as well as the position of the knot. Even if the neck is broken there is no guarantee that the spinal cord is severed. Finally it is not completely clear, that a severd spinal cord causes instant unconsciousness. If the hanged person was lucky, he was knocked out by the knot of the hangmans´ noose.

L

LeoSS

Oct 20, 2023
Who are you? Why should I listen to you? Can I trust you?

I am a suicidal woman that has been studying about hanging for more than five years. I have attempted suicide by hanging a few times in the past, and I plan on dying by full suspension hanging. I have studied about hanging from various different sources, which include guides, videos and testimonials. I have experimented with hanging for long enough and with enough intensity to believe that I am in a position where I can share my knowledge with others that are interested in hanging.

Is this guide right for me?

Well, it depends. Do you want to learn how to hang yourself? If yes, this is the guide for you. This guide is aimed at complete beginners, and doesn't rely on you having any prior knowledge about hanging. Also, this guide is suitable for you even if you don't have a place to hang yourself from (yet). My aim is to get you from inexperienced to ready for full suspension hanging.

Why are you making this guide? I've seen some other guide(s) around, are they not good enough?

I am quite sure that there are other guides around, but I've also seen plenty of conflicting or erroneous information, which led quite a few people to be unsure about details (sometimes, quite important information). Also, this guide will contain the bare-minimum, practical information on hanging, without any of the theoretical fluff that you could find in other guides. It will be straight to the point, with clear, concise information.

Why is this guide about full suspension hanging instead of partial suspension hanging or night-night?

Is this going to be a drop hanging? Will I be breaking my neck?

No, you won't be breaking your neck. There's a misconception that by breaking your neck you will die instantly or lose consciousness instantly. This is not true. Instead, what breaking your neck does is paralyze you making you unable to move. That's why it looks like they are dead. We'll be focusing on full suspension hanging, where our main objective is to compress the carotid arteries, which will lead to unconsciousness within 20 seconds, followed by death.

Where are the carotid arteries located?

The carotid arteries are located in the sides your neck. They are most exposed towards the upper part of your neck. You can feel the pulse of your carotid arteries by placing your fingers on the upper part of your neck: it will feel like a strong pulse.

What type of ligature should I use to hang myself?

You need a rope to hang yourself. Some people say that you can get away with an extension cord, a belt, a necktie, etc. but I have heard stories of them snapping during a full suspension hanging attempt. Is it worth the risk, considering you could end up with severe brain damage if your hanging attempt is suddenly interrupted? That's why I recommend a rope. I recommend 12mm braided polyester or polypropylene rope. They should support pretty much anyone with an average weight, but always make sure you check the "safe working load" of whatever rope you're buying.

What type of knot should I use for the noose on my neck?

You should use a noose knot (not a hangman's knot). Check out this video:

What type of knot should I use for the anchor point?

You should use a bowline knot for the anchor point. Check out this video:
With this knot you can even tie a knot to anchor points that are too high up for you.

Where can I find a good anchor point for full suspension hanging?

Check around your house first: does anything look sturdy enough to hold your full body weight? I realize that finding an anchor point for full suspension hanging inside a house might be very hard (if not impossible) for some. So I decided to write a guide on how to find a suitable anchor point outside your house. Please take a look: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...hor-point-for-full-suspension-hanging.175101/.

Should I put anything between the rope and my neck?

Yes. I recommend you put something light such as a tablecloth or a plastic bag. This is to reduce friction of the rope against your neck, to ensure that the rope can constrict your neck smoothly and to ensure that you don't get a rope burn. If you are particularly heavy (say more than 100 kg), you could even use a towel as padding for your neck.

When should I do it?

You should do this when you know that your hanging attempt won't get interrupted for 30 minutes.
And, if you're doing this outside, just do it at night. Preferably during the winter, so the night is even darker, that way nobody will be able to interrupt you from hanging yourself.

How should it be done?

Follow the three basic rules on full suspension hanging. More details on https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...self-aka-most-common-hanging-mistakes.174897/

This is the end of this short guide. I hope this is of help to you all!

Thank you for this and all your other posts. I keep coming back to your stuff. I was seriously thinking partial suspension but you have helped me reevaluate that option.

G

Gone soon

Jun 11, 2024
Thanks for the helpful advice. I've failed twice on hanging. The first time I almost made it by partial. I had already lost consciousness, but was found literally in the last second. The second time I tried full suspension with a neck tie. I stepped down of a stool but there was a lot of pain, so I somehow made it back. Hanging is still my favourite method anyway