• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm going to discuss some spoilers and not blur them in any way so if you're actually still interested in this worthless movie then go see it first I guess but don't come crying to me about it because I told you it sucks.

In case you didn't know there's a new movie out called IF (short for Imaginary Friends). It's a lazy premise where Imaginary Friends are real in this universe but unlike a certain better piece of media most people can't see them unless they reconnect with their inner child or some bullshit like that.

The movie itself deeeeeefinitely feels like it suffered from the Writer's Strike. I don't have any confirmation on this but it definitely needed a better script. Ryan Reynolds doesn't even do all that much quipping and when he does it's really underwhelming. The movie isn't even sure about whether it's supposed to be for kids or adults. A lot of plot points are too stupid for an adult to care about and there's also lots of boring scenes of meandering around so kids won't really like the movie either. Some of the designs are creative but a lot of them just look cheap.

Anyway let me get to why I really hated this movie. I hated it because it made me cry a little. Not enough to openly sob, but I actually did feel tears welling up. I wasn't crying because it was overly sad or inspiring though like the movie intended.

I cried because by the end of the movie, it shows plenty of people, grownups even, who've had Imaginary Friends in the past and forgotten them. Most of the friends we see in the movie get paired with random characters we've seen and in the end it shows them all being helped and healed by their former IFs.

The reason this made me mad, and the reason I cried, was because it's not fair. I was one of those kids who never had an imaginary friend. Why would I need one when I had two little sisters and all the TV in the world to watch? Why should those people who've dabbled in mild schizoid tendencies get to be so lucky? The movie basically tries to tell the grownups in the audience "it's okay if you're feeling doubts about life as an adult just remember what made you happy as a child". Is this the fate I'm resigned to? I can't get a girlfriend because I never had an imaginary friend? How cruel life must be.

Oh yeah and the "twist" if you could call it that was really obvious. I didn't see it coming because I was too caught up in crying just because a hairy guy remembers some croissants or whatever the fuck but I still should have seen it coming a mile away. It's almost the same twist as in Detective Pikachu, which is a way better movie because at least that has Pokémon in it.

I don't even know what the hell John Krasinski was trying to do with this movie. Was he trying to reach out to his own kids? Then why don't you just actually parent them instead of producing a movie that wasted $110 million? I thought A Quiet Place 1 and 2 were fine but jeez, this movie sucked. Probably doesn't help that I saw it immediately after getting subtly rejected by my crush on Saturday even though I have yet to confirm that. There's no imaginary friend to help me through my anxiety crises that's for sure. 😒

Tl;dr: I'm a whiny baby who felt cucked by this movie.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: set0553, ColorlessTrees, eatantz and 1 other person
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
The reason this made me mad, and the reason I cried, was because it's not fair. I was one of those kids who never had an imaginary friend. Why would I need one when I had two little sisters and all the TV in the world to watch? Why should those people who've dabbled in mild schizoid tendencies get to be so lucky? The movie basically tries to tell the grownups in the audience "it's okay if you're feeling doubts about life as an adult just remember what made you happy as a child". Is this the fate I'm resigned to? I can't get a girlfriend because I never had an imaginary friend? How cruel life must be.
First off, having imaginary friends has nothing to do with schizophrenia or psychosis in general. They are instead likely just a tool used in order to practice social skills and participating in group dynamics. Children are generally aware of the fact that their imaginary friends aren't real, making it clear that it has nothing to do with psychosis. You likely didn't have imaginary friends growing up since you already had siblings. Imaginary friends are most common amongst those who grew up as an only-child and eldest siblings. For example, I had imaginary friends growing up, but I only have one brother who is just under a decade younger than me.

I'd recommend reading these two articles if you want to learn more about them (it's honestly pretty cute): https://www.psy-ed.com/wpblog/why-do-kids-have-imaginary-friends/

Secondly, you are reading too much into what is a shitty soulless Hollywood movie trying to come off as "heart-warming". I don't think they wrote the movie with your dating problems in mind, lol. It's not like there was a team of writers beyond twiddling their fingers while going, "how do we piss off @Dr Iron Arc ", before laughing in an evil and maniacal manner.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
First off, having imaginary friends has nothing to do with schizophrenia or psychosis in general. They are instead likely just a tool used in order to practice social skills and participating in group dynamics. Children are generally aware of the fact that their imaginary friends aren't real, making it clear that it has nothing to do with psychosis. You likely didn't have imaginary friends growing up since you already had siblings. Imaginary friends are most common amongst those who grew up as an only-child and eldest siblings. For example, I had imaginary friends growing up, but I only have one brother who is just under a decade younger than me.
Yeah, I was definitely exaggerating and throwing out schizo and psychosis terms for hyperbole. I'm the oldest sibling but my sisters are only a few years younger but I doubt they were very helpful for socialization since one of them is nonverbal.

Most kids initially develop imaginary companions because they're fun to experiment with. At the same time, however, they use imaginary friends to simulate real-life interactions, in order to deepen their understanding of relationships. Preschool-aged kids (the group most likely to develop imaginary friends) have only just begun to see themselves as fully separate from their parents, so they're still working on developing an independent "voice" in their relationships. They're also typically engaged in making their own friends for the first time. By using an imaginary friend to model relationships, small children can figure out social dynamics in a safe setting. They can learn to differentiate peer friendships from the kind of relationships they have with family members, teachers, etc.
Now I really wish I could have had one maybe I wouldn't be having my issues in the first place. 😕

Secondly, you are reading too much into what is a shitty soulless Hollywood movie trying to come off as "heart-warming". I don't think they wrote the movie with your dating problems in mind, lol. It's not like there was a team of writers beyond twiddling their fingers while going, "how do we piss off @Dr Iron Arc ", before laughing in an evil and maniacal manner.
True. I don't think I would have taken it so personally if I hadn't somehow cried at the movie in spite of its shittiness. I don't consider myself able to cry at movies or shows often at all (the last time I did was for Godzilla Minus One but at least that movie feels like it earned it).

It's not so much about the dating problems as it is my recent bouts with anxiety, though the latter certainly contributes to the former. I still think it's unfair that I don't even get to have a former imaginary friend to remember that would help heal my trauma like what happened in the movie.

• Hugs
Reactions: EvisceratedJester
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Yeah, I was definitely exaggerating and throwing out schizo and psychosis terms for hyperbole. I'm the oldest sibling but my sisters are only a few years younger but I doubt they were very helpful for socialization since one of them is nonverbal.

Now I really wish I could have had one maybe I wouldn't be having my issues in the first place. 😕

It's not so much about the dating problems as it is my recent bouts with anxiety, though the latter certainly contributes to the former. I still think it's unfair that I don't even get to have a former imaginary friend to remember that would help heal my trauma like what happened in the movie.
While imaginary friends can aid in helping people cope with adversity, they don't really help you heal from trauma. While I have no trauma, I have had my low points and while having imaginary friends did make coping with them easier, I wouldn't say that it did much to erase the pain that those events caused me. I still have imaginary friends, though the way how I imagine and interact with them has changed since I'm an adult. Even while I was going through my low point a few months back, while they did help ease the pain a bit, having them around wasn't enough to make it stop. Trauma and adversity is something you have to learn to work through yourself, which can be hard to do. You can't rely on an imaginary friend to fix your problems.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Trauma and adversity is something you have to learn to work through yourself, which can be hard to do. You can't rely on an imaginary friend to fix your problems.
All the more reason the movie is cruel for suggesting they could. Just wish I had some way of even getting the urge to start starting on that.
I don't think they wrote the movie with your dating problems in mind, lol. It's not like there was a team of writers beyond twiddling their fingers while going, "how do we piss off @Dr Iron Arc ", before laughing in an evil and maniacal manner.
Oh yeah, and I know obviously there weren't any writers doing that. They were all clearly on strike. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: EvisceratedJester
set0553

set0553

самоубийство
May 16, 2024
My IF is real! Hes Cooking dinner as I type ( lasagna I think) His names teddy or Freddy or something.. i cant remember.. 😂😂 damn..

• Wow
AngelicGirl

AngelicGirl

Jun 15, 2023
I don't know if it was just me but when I saw the trailer i immediately knew it was gonna be a cheesy and uninspired movie. Plus the cgi looked really terrible. I'm glad you confirmed it for us!