• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

massiveblackhole

Student
Sep 4, 2020
So I'm not convinced true love really exists. All the relationships i've seen (e.g parents, elders, friends) and experienced in my life don't look like the bullshit they feed you in movies. sure there's a bit of romance at the start but then it seems like being in a relationship is more for companionship and convenience (so you're not lonely and you have someone to share the bills). i think "love" is just a biochemical reaction to get two people to hook up and procreate - it doesnt seem to be a long-lasting thing.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

🚫Safety is a figment of the imagination🚫
Jul 1, 2020
i think so.....umm i could go into an example but its personal and id rather not

Reactions: massiveblackhole
girlofduty

girlofduty

Dec 12, 2020
Most of it is lust at first and then it may develop into friendship or just be a long drawn-out lust fest until the excitement dies.

Or whenever you "fall in love" with someone because of a particular thing, if that thing is no longer there, you fall out of love with them. For instance, some people are attracted to someone because of their hair, if that person's hair is gone, then the "love" fades away.

Also, most things in movies are lies... and clearly love is guided by lust as in most movies, people tend to fall in love only with attractive people.

death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
If by true love you mean unconditional love then yeah it doesn't exist. It isn't true love but I think the closest to it is animal love.

But I think romantic love and sex are different things. Sex is just lust for the body. Love is emotional feeling. But even romantic or mother or any other love isn't true love because its conditional and largely for one own satisfaction.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
unconditional love
i have cheated, lied, hurt, crushed and did everything wrong that i possibly could including disappearing out of the blue for years and he is still by my side, he still loves me. if thats not unconditional then i need a new dictionary.

symphonyofthenight

symphonyofthenight

Dec 17, 2020
Personally, yes. I think true love does exist - I experienced it myself. My boyfriend and I didn't want kids and I have a history of sexual abuse and he still stood by me and just wanted me to be happy above all else. There is no one else on the entire planet who has ever understood me or got me like he did. I am so weird that most people don't like me, I'm terribly anxious and depressed all the time, I'm not attractive - and still yet he loved me, he told me he loved me all the time, and I really believe he did. And I loved him just as much back, unconditionally

I think for most people no
. For most people I don't think there is a soul mate or whatever. But I think he was mine and I am his.

Sorry this got very personal. In essence I think most people make bad decisions and settling. But sometimes I think it's possible.

M

massiveblackhole

Student
Sep 4, 2020
Personally, yes. I think true love does exist - I experienced it myself. My boyfriend and I didn't want kids and I have a history of sexual abuse and he still stood by me and just wanted me to be happy above all else. There is no one else on the entire planet who has ever understood me or got me like he did. I am so weird that most people don't like me, I'm terribly anxious and depressed all the time, I'm not attractive - and still yet he loved me, he told me he loved me all the time, and I really believe he did. And I loved him just as much back, unconditionally

I think for most people no
. For most people I don't think there is a soul mate or whatever. But I think he was mine and I am his.

Sorry this got very personal. In essence I think most people make bad decisions and settling. But sometimes I think it's possible.
yea i dont believe in soul mates cos that's just scientifically not convincing but im happy for you that you found yours

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I don't think it does in the way movies makes it out to be. All relationships have ups and downs, and they all exit the honeymoon phase and end up in the daily living phase. I believe people can stay close forever, but I think movies set expectations humans can't meet.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I think there are different kinds of love.
As for the one in love relationships, I think it's only temporary. People get fed up with people.
Then we have the love for a son or a pet and I think that's probably eternal.
And some people have really nice friendships full of love.

symphonyofthenight

symphonyofthenight

Dec 17, 2020
yea i dont believe in soul mates cos that's just scientifically not convincing but im happy for you that you found yours
I don't know if there is one out there for everyone but I've never had someone I connected with on all levels possible. Mine died though so you know. Take it with a grain of salt. Maybe we weren't meant to be because he's not here and I still am.

I think you can still find happiness without true love though. That's just my stance on it.

M

massiveblackhole

Student
Sep 4, 2020
I don't know if there is one out there for everyone but I've never had someone I connected with on all levels possible. Mine died though so you know. Take it with a grain of salt. Maybe we weren't meant to be because he's not here and I still am.

I think you can still find happiness without true love though. That's just my stance on it.
sorry for your loss

death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
i have cheated, lied, hurt, crushed and did everything wrong that i possibly could including disappearing out of the blue for years and he is still by my side, he still loves me. if thats not unconditional then i need a new dictionary.
He might still love you but unconditional love is a myth. There is limit. What one consider to be his/her limit might be different from another but there is always limit.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
He might still love you but unconditional love is a myth. There is limit. What one consider to be his/her limit might be different from another but there is always limit.
ive purposefully tried to find his limit. and im not going to kill his family to see how far he'll really let things go sooo.....

Reactions: justanotherstar
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
ive purposefully tried to find his limit. and im not going to kill his family to see how far he'll really let things go sooo.....
Why stay if the desire is to make him want to leave? No judgement I'm legit curious.

S

Saddaisy

Student
May 16, 2020
Nope.. and that's one of several reasons why I'll be this world Christmas Eve. Saying "goodbye" to my dad tomorrow and using the next few days to gather my remaining supplies. I have almost everything I need.
This will be my last gift I ever give to that pos who made me go this far.

TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Disillusioned
May 26, 2019
Im going with no, since I can't think of a definition of true love. I'm talking about the romantic love, not family, friendship, or anything else.

To me, there's attraction/infatuation/lust and there is romantic love. The first is pure chemical. For me, it was either, "Oh, she's cute!" Or in some cases, that Love At First Sight feeling. But that all eventually fades.

Love in a relationship is a choice. At least to me. I have to choose to love my spouse everyday. Or else it just turns to a bedmate situation. Which it kinda has.

YMMV

death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
I don't want you to kill his family but for this talk purpose lets say you did it. Do you really think he will still love you? He probably won't but we can't be sure so there might be a chance he might still love you if his limit is far. But I'm 100% sure he has his limit unless he is a programmed robot.

MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
I don't know. My parents have been married for over 25 years and seem to still be happy together. If it isn't true love then it's at least strong enough that it'll probably last the rest of their lives, which practically speaking is as good as you'll probably get.

Personally though, I've never even been close to getting into a relationship, so I won't experience true/romantic love even if they exist.

C

ConfuseTHEneck

Dec 10, 2020
I personally don't believe in true love. Besides, what does it mean by "true" love? The only love that never judges nor argues is that from puppies, kittens, and other pets. But even saying that might not be true...

F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
I think it does. And there's more to love then just romantic love. "True" love might be a misnomer. Mass media has really set up unrealistic expectations of what love should be or looks like tho. Maybe it's just brain chemicals, I don't know, but I think it exists.

S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
So I'm not convinced true love really exists. All the relationships i've seen (e.g parents, elders, friends) and experienced in my life don't look like the bullshit they feed you in movies. sure there's a bit of romance at the start but then it seems like being in a relationship is more for companionship and convenience (so you're not lonely and you have someone to share the bills). i think "love" is just a biochemical reaction to get two people to hook up and procreate - it doesnt seem to be a long-lasting thing.
Agree, it is dumb as fuck!