Iman

Iman

Jan 24, 2019
I think suicide, or even other decisions can't be compared to others, because everyone is an individual and everyone feels pain other than another, and suicide is, as I think, mostly about pain, pain and the energy and will to endure it.
So: no one except you has to understand why you want to ctb. Just be sure you are at peace with yourself.
If you aren't maybe it's not yet your time, no matter how bad it hurts...
I can get behind this.
Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me, which I appreciate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanguinius
Glim

Glim

Student
Jan 28, 2019
Why is it okay for example to quit your job, smoke cigarettes; basically make any decisions based on feelings/ on what you prefer? But it's not okay when it's about suicide.

Religious traditionalism influencing culture to uphold the "sanctity of life" + the brain's ingrained terror management and optimism bias. Read up on terror management theory. Claiming that life is worth living -- no matter what -- and having an optimism bias is a way of staving off existential terror, it's like a program run by the brain. People cling on to their optimistic delusions to the point of disrespecting the autonomy of the suicidal, because suicide is a threat to their optimistic view on life.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForestLove and Iman
Iman

Iman

Jan 24, 2019
Why is it okay for example to quit your job, smoke cigarettes; basically make any decisions based on feelings/ on what you prefer? But it's not okay when it's about suicide.

Religious traditionalism influencing culture to uphold the "sanctity of life" + the brain's ingrained terror management and optimism bias. Read up on terror management theory. Claiming that life is worth living -- no matter what -- and having an optimism bias is a way of staving off existential terror, it's like a program run by the brain. People cling on to their optimistic delusions to the point of disrespecting the autonomy of the suicidal, because suicide is a threat to their optimistic view on life.
Thanks man
The terror management theory is completely new to me
It answers quite a lot of questions, especially after I got into an argument with a religious coworker today.

ForestLove

ForestLove

Jus wanna be a tree
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah, they do
I am trying
I just wanted to understand why it's okay to quit a job that you don't enjoy, but it's not okay to quit life

Because all of us have only 1 life. Once it's gone, it's gone FOREVER.

But ultimately, it's your Life and you are free to choose how to lead or end your life.

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifetimepunishment and Iman