lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
Shit pretty much everyone in my mom's family including herself suffers from mental illness. Addiction is also a common problem. A lot of alcoholics. Quite a number of them have actually attempted to CTB.

My dad's side of the family is a pragmatic bunch. Very judgmental and materialistic. No mental illnesses at least to my knowledge.

Last edited:
End Game

End Game

Feb 12, 2021
Yes, my family does have a history of mental illnesses in it. Depression, anxiety, bipolar, autism, addiction, enough to go around for sure. I think there is some truth to it being hereditary, although I think sometimes you need an event to trigger it.

clueless2dayor2morro

clueless2dayor2morro

Feb 19, 2021
apparently one of my parents is diagnosed with depression (never told me until I had to gather up family medical history) and i'm pretty sure some of my siblings and possibly my other parent are undiagnosed with mental illnesses. some of one parent's side of the family is mildly mentally ill. i believe one uncle ctb, but i don't think they were a blood related uncle. its weird because the uncle was fairly wealthy and successful career wise. anyways, i'm pretty sure that depression doesn't run in my bloodline and i'm pretty sure it's been brought on by circumstance. but then again i might have a case of wishful thinking lol

S

solarmoon36

Feb 4, 2021
Yes. My mom self-medicated my whole life.

W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
I'm actually lucky #1 to become mentally ill. I guess i won the gene pool.

• Aww..
Reactions: Callie Arcale and Mentalmick
Romeo

Romeo

Sep 4, 2020
Yes, two members of my mother's family have committed suicide.

• Hugs
Reactions: fixitinpost
T

Trans Magus

Mar 8, 2021
Yup. Which just leads me to wonder, why the fuck did you have kids when you knew they would all pop out really fucked up?

muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I don't know if it runs in my family so as much as it continuously cycles through each generation due to unresolved generational trauma. People just continue repeating the same dysfunctional patterns of abuse with their children, who pass it to their kids, on and on.

ClairyFairy

ClairyFairy

Wizard
Jan 22, 2021
On my dad's side yes but on my mum's side no. Not one of them. Well now me

fixitinpost

fixitinpost

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Oct 20, 2020
My oldest brother hung himself at the same age as I am now. I was only six y/o when it happened, and for whatever reason I grew up with false memories of his death. Just recently learned what actually happened.

He and I have different fathers from my other two siblings, who AFAIK have not had any issues. So maybe there's something on my mother's side that wasn't passed on to them due to the genetics of their father. I dunno, no one knows how this works. My mother is medicating for depression herself.

Alcoholism runs in my father's side, including himself.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: LivideLamb and lofticries
Rockman

Rockman

Experienced
Feb 9, 2020
Family like mine should be castrated all. Addictions, co-dependency, personality disorders, despressions, suicide. The reproduction of misfortune and suffering.

I

IHaveNoName

Jan 28, 2021
Yes, on one side a lot more than the other though.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Unofficially, yes. Officially? Some second and third degree relatives. Drug use. Depression. OCD. ADHD. Suicide.

Wandering_Fox

Wandering_Fox

Mar 20, 2021
Yes, depression and anxiety run in my family. Though I'm the only one that has attempted suicide. And my mom had some delusions. Luckily I'm one smart cookie. LOL I can still have a sense of humor despite my circumstances.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I don't have a single relative with a mental health condition. It's as if I've been struck by lightning.

• Love
Reactions: lobster salad and GenesAndEnvironment
Revered

Revered

Mar 6, 2021
I had an uncle ctb. I didn't really know him tho, was too young.

M

Mohkinstsis_falls

Mar 20, 2021
addiction runs in my family. it actually killed a few of them (cirrhosis, drunken accidents). some of my extended family have bipolar, but I'm blessed to not have that.
i'm an entirely new brand of fucked up

V

VaultEnder

Feb 27, 2021
Yup, family on both sides have Bipolar, PTSD (just like me), Schizo, and my cousin, and other distant family members have already caught the bus.

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
yeah. my uncle on my dads side committed suicide

N

nasblue

Jul 14, 2018
My mother and grandmother both had mental health problems. The two of them died of long term illnesses. Both tried on a few occasions to commit suicide. In fact, I told my mother that I wanted to end it. She then told me the times when she tried to jump off a building and then years later set herself on fire. She was in a burns unit for nearly a year after that attempt. My mother bore the scars both physically and mentally pretty much all her life. Alcoholism and gambling became vices for her so my childhood was rough. She was a good mother despite all that and I still miss her everyday. So, do any of you have a history of mental illness or addiction issues in your family?
I think so, but not the kind that gets diagnosed. I mean narcissism, the only reason people get treatment for that is due to comorbidities.
Too bad narcissists also generally see getting help as a weakness and themselves as the strongest beings imaginable, so instead they wreak havoc on their environment and don't take responsibility.

Dad is a capitalist psychopath, cheating, lying, neglecting is his MO, mom is a feminist narcissist who hates men and sees herself as the supreme being because she can do so much without one (at the cost of others).

The epitome of postmodern degeneration.

builtwrong

builtwrong

permanent solution to a permanent problem
Aug 24, 2020
Basically all of my extended family are drunks or insane I rarely ever interacted with them. My mom was extremely abusive and neurotic, ended up hanging herself when I was 13 or 14. So I'd imagine it's not a surprise I turned out a depressive mess who leans on his addictive personality like it's a fuckin sport

Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
On my mother's side: my mom and aunt both had episodes of depression with suicidal thoughts/behavior. My grandfather as well, sans the suicidal thoughts (as far as I know of).

On my fathers side: trauma's of war and alcoholism. Probably depression as well, but it is not really spoken about.

L

luten

work, love, and learn
Feb 25, 2021
father tried to commit suicide (i found him unconscious, and i dont think he will try it again), half brother committed suicide (by gun), he suffered from PTSD, cousin committed suicide (jumping in the sea). I still think i am the way i am because of childhood abuse, and my many disabling medical problems since childhood, and not because of psychiatric problems in the family. Maybe it is a matter of the physical problems that is so painful that it out-powers mental problems. The only reason why my life would end, is because i cant support myself, ending up on the streets with severe medical problems, obviously that is where my survival abilities will end.

Last edited:
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I'm pretty sure my mom was borderline or narcissistic but would never get formally diagnosed because she would tell the therapist that he was full of shit and to go fuck himself. My brother is either cold and narcissistic as well, but doesn't believe that mental illness exists. I was diagnosed Bipolar and fed bipolar medications for 8-9 years, but I wouldn't let it define me.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Mother was mentally ill to an unknown extent, father helped her through life from what I understand. Some minor mental illness on some individuals in the extended family. I believe I'm the only hardcore suicidal in my entire bloodline, but you never know. This is an indication of my condition being mostly the modern environment (especially kindergarten) and less about genetics.

LivideLamb

LivideLamb

I'm so decaying, feeling like an ashtray
Jan 5, 2020
Mother and Father are (thankfully for them) not diagnosed with anything. Tho, It's pretty clear to me my mother suffered some rough stuff in the past.

My granparents, and their parents from what I understand, on the other hand... Physical and mental illnesses. Diagnosed. Multiple.

soap

soap

Pronounced dead
Jan 14, 2021
Three of my uncles and some cousins are aspie reclusive mute types. I have it the worst of all tho.

coldcoldcold

coldcoldcold

Jun 29, 2020
my grandmother on my father's side has exhibited bipolar symptoms throughout her life, and my sister has it but i don't. my grandmother on my mother's side has autism (my sibling most likely got it from her) and struggled with depression, so i could get my depression from her. however it could also from my uncle who had major depression and struggled with alcohol abuse, and ended up committing suicide. my father shows the same signs of adhd that i show and i'm diagnosed, but he refuses to get a diagnosis; he has horrible anger issues which i also inherited (not to the same extent and i've overcome them) and my mother struggled with postpartum depression after having me but i don't think that caused anything with me.