Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I don't even really know my family that well. They don't tell me everything. People seem walled off. Even a lot of people are blind to who they are truly. It's strange to want connection but only limited connection is available. It's strange to live a long life and not know why you do what you do.

Reactions: acerace, Lumina, cgrtt.brns and 2 others
S

SaltySuh

Aug 12, 2023
No. What others think of me doesn't really matter. I don't trust or care about their opinions. I disregard most people except those who have possible authority over my life. Such individuals include law enforcement, educators, employers, parents, medical professionals, or landlords. I also don't confide in other people since it'll likely come back to bite me in the ass.

Reactions: FadingSunshine and psp3000
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
No. What others think of me doesn't really matter. I don't trust or care about their opinions. I disregard most people except those who have possible authority over my life. Such individuals include law enforcement, educators, employers, parents, medical professionals, or landlords. I also don't confide in other people since it'll likely come back to bite me in the ass.
So no one knows you? Do you know your friends and family? How do I live comfortably as a partial person with others and accepting that everyone else is one too from my perspective?

Reactions: captainhook
captainhook

captainhook

Aug 2, 2023
I don't even really know my family that well. They don't tell me everything. People seem walled off. Even a lot of people are blind to who they are truly. It's strange to want connection but only limited connection is available. It's strange to live a long life and not know why you do what you do.
As someone who has a family that's completely walled off, I understand exactly what you mean. It's not strange to want genuine connections despite the fact that it's mostly improbable. If there's something that gets me through the day.. most human beings are not very complex.. we're all just people you know?.. Deep connections are not real just as long as we know the general idea of the person that's about as deep as it is. Personally from my experiences there are things my family won't tell me that they know would impact me but yet I picture if they did, even if it would be something that would make me even move out of the country, I'd take it as it's just a fact it's like everything else.. Not much would change in regards to my perception of them, who they are, or my closeness to the person, even if they're purposely hiding things from me.

I may not feel close to my family personally but I understand their general basis as humans and that's enough. There's really no true "genuine connections" with people because people will always be the same in your eyes no matter how close you get with them. I'm currently engaged to a man who won't tell me things, things he even tells his friends, things like his own medical condition that will physically affect our future as he's practically dying and being stalled with medicines up until his surgery dates. Do I know what he needs? No. Will I ever truly feel connected? No, and best of all that's the man I plan to marry. I always question why I'm doing the things I'm doing for a man who isn't even all that close to me.

Take it this way, as someone who doesn't feel connected to anyone but at the same time does, even if deep connections aren't truly real, your future and what you're doing is still serving a purpose, even to the people who aren't "connected" to you truly. Is the fact a little sad?.. yes.. but we can cherish the small things that we do understand about the people around us.. I don't know if this helps but simply by reading my text and knowing I have an account on here, you know more than my own family or fiancé know, you may not know everything about me, but you know something extremely deep, this account is my whole life plan practically and not even the people in my life know it. It's my deepest secret yet a complete stranger has more access to it than anyone else in my life does. Humans are complex, you may have just learned the most deepest connection a person could have with me and we don't even know each other. I don't think you'd feel that closeness even if we were long time friends. We're all humans. Closeness may seem extremely important as it's what makes us certain of the people around us, but I promise you're not missing out on anything. I would say the only closeness that truly matters is the understanding of oneself. Do things for you, because at the end of the day you'll truly know that the connection is real. No matter what goes on in your life, one constant will always be that as long as you're alive, you have you. You say there are people who are blind to themselves, I'm actually one of those people. I work towards understanding myself even if I don't like all aspects. The strongest connection anyone could have is within oneself, and at least with that connection you know it's certain because you know your own thoughts and aspects, there's no lying there. Even if you don't achieve that connection with yourself, life is life. We're all just people trying to get by including yourself. No matter how close you get to anyone, things will feel the same, you don't deserve to have to worry and overthink about such things when in the end things will be the same no matter what.. Take closure in the fact that your self awareness has to be very high to post such a comment as you said earlier. That alone makes you a very deep person. Your connection with yourself and the world is already very strong to recognize such behaviors as earlier.

• Love
Reactions: Ambivalent1
S

SaltySuh

Aug 12, 2023
My family knows only surface level stuff about me. I know my parents, but I don't have any attachment to them. It doesn't bother me since I don't trust people. Honestly, about 95% of my personality and beliefs are mistrust. I don't think I even have a personality outside of my distrust and suspiciousness.

• Wow
Reactions: Ambivalent1
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
It depends on who the person is. For example: if an individual has mistreated me very harshly then I am usually not interested in knowing them, and want to avoid them instead.

What makes me angry is when other people will close themselves off, as you have mentioned, but will simultaneously expect you to open up to them, and might even feel offended if you refuse to do so; they know you as much as possible - your strengths and your flaws, but you do not know them.

D

depressedteddybear

Jul 30, 2023
Ya but that goes both ways everyone needs secrets

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
Everyone has limits. What can we truly know with certainty? It used to bother me. Subjectivity has it's up sides at least.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart, whywere and Ambivalent1
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't know really. I think it would be weirder if we didn't have any privacy. Do you want everyone to know every aspect of you? Even stuff you feel ashamed of? I guess there'd be more accountability maybe. Of course- all of us would be straight off to the psyche wards for having ideation!

I wonder how many people we'd actually like if we truly knew who they were. I wonder how many people would like us. People quite often try to supress their more negative quirks. Perhaps that's a good thing! I just think it would mean a lot of hurt for people. I don't want my family to know just how unhappy I am. It would upset them and there's nothing they can do to help- so- why expose them to all that? Better to pretend to be kind of ok.

• Informative
Reactions: outatime_85 and Ambivalent1