• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

Experienced
Jun 25, 2022
I remember reading a study where it stated autists have lower muscle density than neurotypicals. Am I doomed?

• Hugs
Reactions: Dliena
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I don´t know if it´s because of Apsperger (autism) but my bones are very skinny I have the smallest wrist ever, even many children have bigger wrists than me. I also barely have any muscle on my forearm or muscle around my hand, compared to everyone else it looks so bony.

WhenTheyCry

WhenTheyCry

Experienced
Jun 25, 2022
I don´t know if it´s because of Apsperger (autism) but my bones are very skinny I have the smallest wrist ever, even many children have bigger wrists than me. I also barely have any muscle on my forearm or muscle around my hand, compared to everyone else it looks so bony.
Yeah, comparing myself to others, back in elementary school all of my peers were faster than me in sports and had more stamina. It's so mentally defeating to have experienced that.

Reactions: TheGoodGuy
Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Autistic, death will give me peace.
Sep 21, 2022
Maybe, the last time I was at the autism day centre, we went to the gym for the day and I was lifting weights just as heavy and heavier than one of the staff/worker. He just said that's pretty good I was able to do that, I'm definitely not weak in muscle strength, I don't know about my bones and wrist sizes though.

I'm probably lacking in stamina compared to neurotypicals.

Last edited:
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Yeah, comparing myself to others, back in elementary school all of my peers were faster than me in sports and had more stamina. It's so mentally defeating to have experienced that.
To me it´s mostly about size I used to be good at most sports, my wrists are only 13.5cm so that have made me insecure most of my life.

Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
To me it´s mostly about size I used to be good at most sports, my wrists are only 13.5cm so that have made me insecure most of my life.
When I was getting really good at golf (to near professional level within 3 years) my forearms bulked out (mainly the brachioradialis muscle). I'm the same as you skinny wrists and forearms but the forearms did pad out a lot. Wrist exercises (because golf puts a lot of pressure on them) strengthened them but they didn't get bigger or more padded.
And that was only with correct diet, gym and golf. Pretty much full time. All gone now though lol.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
When I was getting really good at golf (to near professional level within 3 years) my forearms bulked out (mainly the brachioradialis muscle). I'm the same as you skinny wrists and forearms but the forearms did pad out a lot. Wrist exercises (because golf puts a lot of pressure on them) strengthened them but they didn't get bigger or more padded.
And that was only with correct diet, gym and golf. Pretty much full time. All gone now though lol.
That´s too bad, but cool you were so good at golf.

Ironically as you mention this I got an injury a month ago which I also located to be the brachioradialis muscle and it still hasn´t gotten better so I can only train legs now until it heals.

Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
That´s too bad, but cool you were so good at golf.

Ironically as you mention this I got an injury a month ago which I also located to be the brachioradialis muscle and it still hasn´t gotten better so I can only train legs now until it heals.
It's the worst pain. I did damage to it at 16 at the gym and it's worse than shoulder, back, etc due to it running down to the wrist and connecting to the bicep/tricep area. NO grabbing things weird, don't flex/extend your arms (at the elbow joint), no lifting/carrying (that includes weights to do your leg exercises). If you have a tear doing all this stuff will make it worse. It doesn't sound like a tear (trust me the pain is unreal) but some people have difference pain thresholds.

IF you have access to a sauna/ice bath or pool - do 15/20 minutes of sauna (dilates the blood vessels) and then cold plunge right after for no more than 3 minutes (I could only do 1 and not fully submerged). Essentially puts your body into overdrive for healing.

If you don't have that do the same but with objects. Apply a heat pad for 5 minutes and then straight after have ice in a towel on it for 1.5 minutes. Only do this once - don't repeat it (same as the bath). You can try it daily but you'll need a rest. Every other day should be fine.

• Informative
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
It's the worst pain. I did damage to it at 16 at the gym and it's worse than shoulder, back, etc due to it running down to the wrist and connecting to the bicep/tricep area. NO grabbing things weird, don't flex/extend your arms (at the elbow joint), no lifting/carrying (that includes weights to do your leg exercises). If you have a tear doing all this stuff will make it worse. It doesn't sound like a tear (trust me the pain is unreal) but some people have difference pain thresholds.

IF you have access to a sauna/ice bath or pool - do 15/20 minutes of sauna (dilates the blood vessels) and then cold plunge right after for no more than 3 minutes (I could only do 1 and not fully submerged). Essentially puts your body into overdrive for healing.

If you don't have that do the same but with objects. Apply a heat pad for 5 minutes and then straight after have ice in a towel on it for 1.5 minutes. Only do this once - don't repeat it (same as the bath). You can try it daily but you'll need a rest. Every other day should be fine.
Well the injury started by my thumb being numb and later it when I touched it it would feel like being stabbed by dozens of needles but now that pain is gone and it´s not numb anymore I also couldn´t even lift a glass with a little water in it but now I can and I thought maybe I should lift a little to strenghten the hand again like lifting a glass of water, a pan or pot when cooking so it´s not completely docile. Now it´s just my brachioradialis muscles that tense up if I use it too much and because of this I haven´t been able to play online games in a month because it tenses up my forearm but I have tried that a couple days now and I can play for a couple hours before it start to feel a bit cramp like. Also when I train legs I don´t do squats atm since I can´t lift the weights with my arm so only machines for my legs so I don´t have to use my arm.

I do have access to a sauna at my local gym but no ice bath but I don´t want to go to the sauna if possible, and I don´t have a heat pad, do you have an idea to what to use as a substitute for a heat pad? because I think if there is an option there I would like to try the heat pad and some frozen stuff from my freezer in a towel on my arms once I day, I could do that and see if it helps. Also do you think long hot showers are good since you talk about dilating the blood vessels?

Throwawayacc3

Throwawayacc3

Freedom
Mar 4, 2024
Well the injury started by my thumb being numb and later it when I touched it it would feel like being stabbed by dozens of needles but now that pain is gone and it´s not numb anymore I also couldn´t even lift a glass with a little water in it but now I can and I thought maybe I should lift a little to strenghten the hand again like lifting a glass of water, a pan or pot when cooking so it´s not completely docile. Now it´s just my brachioradialis muscles that tense up if I use it too much and because of this I haven´t been able to play online games in a month because it tenses up my forearm but I have tried that a couple days now and I can play for a couple hours before it start to feel a bit cramp like. Also when I train legs I don´t do squats atm since I can´t lift the weights with my arm so only machines for my legs so I don´t have to use my arm.

I do have access to a sauna at my local gym but no ice bath but I don´t want to go to the sauna if possible, and I don´t have a heat pad, do you have an idea to what to use as a substitute for a heat pad? because I think if there is an option there I would like to try the heat pad and some frozen stuff from my freezer in a towel on my arms once I day, I could do that and see if it helps. Also do you think long hot showers are good since you talk about dilating the blood vessels?
Ok needles/those sorts of sensations are more nerve related. That shouldn't be happening from just the muscle injury. If you can (hopefully you are in the Uk). Call the GP and say you can't feel your thumb/some fingers and overreact it to the max so that you can have a scan done. Even though the muscle extends to the wrist - it shouldn't be effecting sensations or nerves from what you describe.

Just do a hot hot shower every other day but as soon as you get out - wrap your arm with a towel with ice inside - DO NOT have the ice touch your skin - they towel must be between your skin and the ice. 5 minutes maximum.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Ok needles/those sorts of sensations are more nerve related. That shouldn't be happening from just the muscle injury. If you can (hopefully you are in the Uk). Call the GP and say you can't feel your thumb/some fingers and overreact it to the max so that you can have a scan done. Even though the muscle extends to the wrist - it shouldn't be effecting sensations or nerves from what you describe.

Just do a hot hot shower every other day but as soon as you get out - wrap your arm with a towel with ice inside - DO NOT have the ice touch your skin - they towel must be between your skin and the ice. 5 minutes maximum.
I am not very good at lying so I think it would be hard to lie myself to a scan and I don´t live in the UK but in DK.

Okay I will try that then and see if it helps.

Reactions: Throwawayacc3