AJ95

AJ95

24/7 sylvia plath
Sep 3, 2020
I think it does unfortunately, yes.

Our appearance is the first thing people notice about us most of the time, and communicates a lot of information about us.

Also a lot of the time there's an automatic judgement from people about that information.

Reactions: Élégie and Skathon
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
I went to college, got qualified, set up my own sucessful business. it had nothing to do with looks at all. it was hard word and putting the effort in!!! looks might be needed if your a model or something, not when it requires using your brain!!! or hard work manual labour.

can't say i have ever seen an employer pick a tradesperson because they look good.
Okays.....So a person might be good with a hammer. But if he/she still has a face that looks like it had a fight with one and lost...….That person will still be too ugly for love/romance/dating/sex/intimacy and that's a big important part of life closed off.
Its got to matter surely.
Just saying.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Absolutely not. It's a South Park clip, come on, wake up. That's like white people saying being white is a curse..to the minorities. Or the wealthy bemoaning to the poor about money.. Classic gaslighting. Typical "woe is me", complaining about an absolute blessing, anyone who racks their brains long and hard enough can turn a privilege into a curse. And only the extremely privileged themselves have the luxury to even attempt such a thing, they are not run down and destroyed by life so they have the time and energy to search for any tiny bread crumb of oppression or tragedy they can in order to attention seek for sympathy. And they will get it too, because the tears of the attractive are noticed while the tears of the unattractive are swept under the rug. Prime example: You, what you're attempting to do right now.
It's also quite easy to become ugly so if anyone wants to complain about being attractive, the solution is simple and abundantly possible. For ugly people to become good looking? Not so much.

Read between the lines of that clip, Kyle is called an asshole at the end, even though he has a point (ignoring the fact that becoming an "adult" does not change that looks unfortunately matter a great deal.)
We shouldn't have to wait until looks supposedly don't matter (they actually never stop mattering) or matter less, to balance out our past imbalance of unfortunate circumstances. By that time, "mattering less" is something that could be said about anything. Everything comes to an end eventually, including life itself. The point is that if you get to enjoy the privileges of life while you have them, you are and always will be better off than the people who did not. You have the memories, you had the experiences, and that's basically all life comes down to in the end. It's not like every single one of us loses our memory, past and looks at 50 and after that we all start over as elderly uggos for centuries to come. Most value and enjoyment comes from one's youth and carries one through the later years of life.

Ugly people have more room for character growth!? Oh you mean from being shunned and having to isolate?! Yea..stellar way to grow that character! Lmao! ..Even if that were true, to what end? Sure, you could argue that hardships can grow us in ways we wouldn't normally grow but if those hardships never come to an end, then all that growth will turn to absolute rot. Even people who had miraculous ugly duckling/swan transformations have trouble escaping that ugly box society put them into, they are unable to close their eyes to the insane difference in treatment, the trauma is too great, any growth was hammered down by the massive amount of damage done to them. And for people who never escape that unattractive physical shell? Well their "character" can do a nose dive and they may either take it out on themselves or others, which is society's fault for shaping them that way and nature's fault for restricting them in a form they had no say in.

On the contrary, attractive people have no excuse in that area and are given heaps more room to grow. The world is at their feet, doors are opened for them where they are closed on others. An attractive appearance can even help a person glide more easily through any other form of disadvantage or "-ism" in life.
Having a form of confidence that was bred by other people complimenting you for your appearance is rarely an end all, be all. Usually it is just a giant head start, a stepping stone to build other confidences and successes onto.
Where being unattractive can be defeating and hope-stripping, being attractive is often the opposite. One good thing leads to another and by the time your looks start fading, you've still got everything else which was built off of them. If someone wants to wallow in their good fortune and not make further use of it then that's another story that I don't really care to have an ounce of sympathy for. Unlike the unattractive who have to build their lives off of shit and have every reason to give up where the attractive can see the light and keep going.

Obviously there are other aspects of life and different types of hardships which anyone can experience, but that's not what this thread is about and quite frankly, to my dismay, looks are something that really do matter a great deal compared to other things which should, ideally, matter more. They stain even those more worthy parts of life and humanity.

As far as them having to worry about people being "fake" to them? What do you consider fake? I would say people are being quite genuine in their attention to the attractive and their interest and investment in them, however fucked up and unearned that attention may be. And if there is anything more than looks to the person being given the attention, at least they are actually given the opportunity and environment to show it, for it to be seen.
You think ugly people don't have to worry about who is fake to them?
Ha! So many people are fake to the unattractive and so so so disingenuous. The ugly, sometimes even the plain, serve to make others feel better about themselves.
They are taken advantage of because people think less of them, they are used, they are disrespected, people may be nice to them to signal virtue, may compliment them to gaslight them or pat themselves on the back for their good deed of the day, people take them as a friend because their looks are not a threat. Some may even look for a less attractive romantic partner as to worry less about jealousy or abandonment. All types of ulterior motives and manipulative machinations can be at play while interacting with those who would otherwise be insulted or ignored.
And if the ugly person ever complains or points out this reasoning, well they will be dismissed and blamed, they will get the same "beauty is a curse" spiel you are trying to push and much more. Insanity if you ask me.
...But I guess if the abuse is genuine then that makes it better? (Though since it's still based on looks then it's really no less "fake" than the good treatment the attractive people get for theirs.) No matter how glaring the reality is, when all is said and done. those who don't experience the hell of not being attractive will try to deny the fact that looks matter at every corner, because if they admit to the truth, they can no longer blame the ugly person and they can no longer see themselves as the victim. So they turn that fear of losing their victimhood onto the less fortunate. Why? Because they can. Because of the very privilege they are trying to cover up.
I just wanted ppl to feel better about being ugly especially if they can't change it. I genuinely think I'm ugly too and this was just what helped me get over that when I first saw the episode. Anyway if you wanna know what happens at the end, Kyle realizes that the girls only labeled him as ugliest because he offers nothing of value to them whereas Clyde's dad works at a shoe store so he was able to get them free shoes. The other layer of humor to this is that it's South Park. Most of the characters all practically have the same face. Ugliness is truly subjective. There's also that Twilight Zone episode about a woman who gets plastic surgery to look more beautiful but the big twist ending is that she was actually conventionally attractive before the surgery while everyone else was exaggeratedly grotesque and they considered that beautiful.

You point out that beautiful people are privileged which may be true but like most hardships there's just not much we can do about it so why feel this bad about it? Sure there all these disadvantages to being what society deems ugly but at the end of the day getting so hung up about it can't ever help us in the slightest. It's not like laws will ever be passed to give affirmative action for ugly people or that us uglies will manage to rise up and kill off all the beautiful people to spark a new revolution. I don't think it's quite the same as racial or monetary privilege in that sense.

I could be wrong though. I'm also stupid in addition to being ugly so in a way, I have even less privilege.

Reactions: 262653

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Appearance can be modified (grooming, physical activity, nutrition, surgery), but it works both ways. Improving and maintaining appearance does take resources, physical capacity to perform exercises, listening to the body, mental capacity to make proper research on how to do exercises, how to groom, how to eat well. Requires motivation to do all of these things... It's like a business that requires initial investment to get off the dead spot. Neglecting appearance and health doesn't seem to take effort, but it does drain resources by reducing physical and mental prowess. I guess one could say that mental prowess is incorporated into physical, since the nervous system (includes brain) is the part of the body.

It feels to me like the both innate appearance and maintained appearance are something I didn't choose freely. I started exercising intensely because a person whose opinion was important to me (he was healthy, fit and intelligent) called me fat in an elaborate manner, but not too elaborate for me not to get it. I remember the change it produced in me, how those words made me motivated to change, to prove him wrong. And I did change. People were positively commenting on my improvements, how was doing a good job, but I know that my choice wasn't free. I had to change because living with the alternative, with that insult, was way too much...

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
Just another area of life where some people will inevitably come out as the losers.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Élégie, ocd is bad and 1 other person