• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

My precious moon! Don't go, please.
Jan 12, 2024
Can ignorance be beneficial? For sure.

If my neighbor down the street was actually a serial killer in hiding, it would benefit me to not know that, otherwise I would worry about it all day every day wondering if they would start killing again. (Of course, it's possible they might start again and kill me in my ignorance, but I suppose I'm focusing on the benefits).

That's a bit hyper-hypothetical, but in a similar way, being ignorant to the horrors of the world is good for the mental health of people.

These days we are bombarded with the knowledge of global horrors. And at least for me, that causes severe mental strain at times.

Do I wish I was more ignorant? I would probably be happier. But I would not want to be ignorant because I want to live knowing the hurts of the world and of the people beside me because I feel more connected and grounded in reality.

I don't know if that sounds wrong or weird, but I just know I wouldn't want to be willfully ignorant.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
Yes, it is. Childhood was amazing because we were so naive about how the world works and stuff :) It's much better not to know things as so many things are just rotten and horrid once you do learn about them! ^_^ The world is rather evil after all, and I desire to keep my purity as much as I can! :D

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
Ignorance is bliss, but if you're ignorant, then you don't know the truth. Personally, I would take the truth over ignorance.

Last edited:
Reactions: wondering&wandering
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
It depends. There are some things I wish I never knew about because of the trauma and pain they caused me. I agree that knowledge is power, but I don't want to know everything, some things I wish I didn't know about or waste my time on. Some knowledge to me is more valuable than others.

Proteus

Proteus

Oceanic Member
Feb 6, 2024
Ignorance is bad for you because it makes you easier to manipulate and restricts your decisions. IMO, you should try to be informed to know what's best for you and others.

Reactions: sserafim
SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
What do you think @SmallKoy @Pluto @sserafim?
I think that I would mostly agree with @sicksadmad .. Being well informed is important. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, for example, to avoid reliving a past trauma. However, I think that generally it is better to be informed and not be ignorant. I asked this question today because I was talking with a friend of mine who described herself as someone who ignores a lot of the world due to the vicious nature of it. I wasn't sure if I agreed with that or not. I think one way that ignorance can be bad would be using a slur without knowing the meaning behind it or why you probably shouldn't use it (just as an example). I can forgive this kind of ignorance, but I think it is much worse when someone is deliberately ignorant about it. Hopefully that makes sense, sometimes I am not good at expressing my thoughts or feelings.
It depends. There are some things I wish I never knew about because of the trauma and pain they caused me. I agree that knowledge is power, but I don't want to know everything, some things I wish I didn't know about or waste my time on. Some knowledge to me is more valuable than others.
Do you have an example of something you wish you didn't know/waste your time on? Out of curiosity.
Why does @sserafim value truth? 😊
I value truth as well, do you? I think that I don't value it as much as others might, though.
Idk I just do. Maybe it's cuz I'm an INTP
I have always gotten either ENTP or INTP. I think that I resonate more with ENTP. Do you ever take MBTI tests multiple times and do your results differ a lot? A little? Or not at all?

Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
Do you have an example of something you wish you didn't know/waste your time on? Out of curiosity.
One example that traumatized me is that I've seen videos of animal abuse. I am extremely sensitive towards the suffering of animals and children, and those videos of those poor animals being abused still haunts me to this day. I wish I never saw those videos.

SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
One example that traumatized me is that I've seen videos of animal abuse. I am extremely sensitive towards the suffering of animals and children, and those videos of those poor animals being abused still haunts me to this day. I wish I never saw those videos.
I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing though, I understand what you mean much better.

• Love
Reactions: Malaria
sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
I think that I would mostly agree with @sicksadmad .. Being well informed is important. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, for example, to avoid reliving a past trauma. However, I think that generally it is better to be informed and not be ignorant. I asked this question today because I was talking with a friend of mine who described herself as someone who ignores a lot of the world due to the vicious nature of it. I wasn't sure if I agreed with that or not. I think one way that ignorance can be bad would be using a slur without knowing the meaning behind it or why you probably shouldn't use it (just as an example). I can forgive this kind of ignorance, but I think it is much worse when someone is deliberately ignorant about it. Hopefully that makes sense, sometimes I am not good at expressing my thoughts or feelings.

I value truth as well, do you? I think that I don't value it as much as others might, though.

I have always gotten either ENTP or INTP. I think that I resonate more with ENTP. Do you ever take MBTI tests multiple times and do your results differ a lot? A little? Or not at all?
I've also gotten ENTP and INTJ before. I used to think I was an INTJ, but INTP fits better. I took the Sakinorva test and I got a different result for my Grant Type, but that's not the same as MBTI.

https://sakinorva.net/functions

Last edited:
Reactions: SmallKoy
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

for example, to avoid reliving a past trauma.
The ability to repress is actually a vital survival tool.

SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
for example, to avoid reliving a past trauma.
The ability to repress is actually a vital survival tool.
Do you think that it is better to repress trauma? I think a lot of negative things can come with repressing things as well.

Reactions: Meteora
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

@SmallKoy what makes you say that?

Reactions: sserafim
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I have a different interpretation of the question since terms like ignorance and bliss have different meanings in the context of Eastern philosophy.

In short, the Joseph Campbell hero's journey entails:

1) An initial state of innocent comfort, then
2) A fall into darkness, followed by
3) An overcoming and ascension into a liberated state.

With most human adults very much in the throes the second stage and reliant on various coping methods (escapism, denial, distraction, etc.) it is understandable to feel a profound yearning to return to the innocence of the first stage. But this only digs deeper into suffering. And yet, from the perspective of that third, liberated state, it could be said that wisdom is bliss.

(N.B. I have not experienced that state but have merely studied the phenomenon.)

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
In most cases, yeah, I believe that ignorance is bliss. However, in some cases, ignorance isn't bliss (for example, you better not be ignorant during an exam). Another example of where ignorance isn't bliss is being ignorant about information regarding suicide methods and hence rely on cutting wrists or OD on simple OTC drugs instead of doing something more better like SN or partial hanging.

When it comes to life however, ignorance is bliss. One of the reasons why I find non existence to be the ultimate form of peace for me is because of how a non existent being is permanently ignorant and untouchable of all the harms of the world

Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
hell yeah!
I think people are, to a certain extent, ignorant from time to time. An example would be interacting with people and making an enemy or a friend by doing something we didnt think a lot about at the time, but had an impact on someone else.

X

xhelx

decayed beyond recognition
Mar 1, 2024
I know so many people that seem to never be fully aware of anything, and are (or least seem) the happiest people I've ever seen, so I honestly think being ignorant to a some degree is a blessing, and complete lack of ignorance eventually drives you insane, since we hear of so many successful people with apparently no problems ctbing. In my country, we actually have some mandatory texts in school that discuss the fact that incredibly aware people are very likely to become lonely and depressed.
Again, some of the *unaware happy people* might be just really good at making it seem they have no problems, but I'm sure it's not all of them.

cruelexistence

cruelexistence

Existence is cruel and cool
Apr 19, 2024
Do you think ignorance can be beneficial?
Anything can be beneficial if used properly, ignorance included. I don't like being ignorant though. I want to know the truth even if it hurts.
Can ignorance be beneficial? For sure.

If my neighbor down the street was actually a serial killer in hiding, it would benefit me to not know that, otherwise I would worry about it all day every day wondering if they would start killing again. (Of course, it's possible they might start again and kill me in my ignorance, but I suppose I'm focusing on the benefits).

That's a bit hyper-hypothetical, but in a similar way, being ignorant to the horrors of the world is good for the mental health of people.

These days we are bombarded with the knowledge of global horrors. And at least for me, that causes severe mental strain at times.

Do I wish I was more ignorant? I would probably be happier. But I would not want to be ignorant because I want to live knowing the hurts of the world and of the people beside me because I feel more connected and grounded in reality.

I don't know if that sounds wrong or weird, but I just know I wouldn't want to be willfully ignorant.
I don't think those are good examples, but I agree with what you're trying to say.
Yes, it is. Childhood was amazing because we were so naive about how the world works and stuff :) It's much better not to know things as so many things are just rotten and horrid once you do learn about them! ^_^ The world is rather evil after all, and I desire to keep my purity as much as I can! :D
Huh, so would you want to be ignorant of all the bad things in the world?