Do you die when you die?

• Yes. You stop living after you die.

• No, you survive after you die.

• Not sure, I have to look it up.

Results are only viewable after voting.
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
I wasnt alluding to subjective meaningfulness of life in absence of an afterlife. I was speaking more of an objective meaningfulness of life and our suffering in it which cant be justified in the absence of a post world future existence that restore balance to achieve total state of equilibrium as we see happens with everything in our reality. equilibrium is a dominant and absolute feature of all existence. We see it in everything. Why shouldnt it apply to something as important as our own suffering is brought to us by life or someone else's own actions? You see what I am saying?
Ya. But focusing on learning and teaching helps keep the darkness at bay somewhat. At least for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: D&D
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
Ya. But focusing on learning and teaching helps keep the darkness at bay somewhat. At least for me.
Thats great. I am also trying to learn and teach by inviting people to discussing these types of issues because they are extremely important and impactful on our world and us. When people run free believing they can get away with whatever they do and they have some influence or power not to get caught or persecuted on top of that. Because this is it and there is nothing afterwards. This is extremely dangerous and consequential to society, indivisuals and the future of the planet

• Hugs
Reactions: D&D
Josh007

Josh007

The number zero is feeling lonely...
Nov 30, 2020
Wouldn't be death if you continue living 😆
The easiest way to explain it would be like this:
Remember before you were born?
No, that's exactly what death is like. There's no proof of pre existence nor post existence.

Reactions: Snake of Eden
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Do you mean it in the sense that people would remember who you are and what you did? But they die too. What aspect of the past you think will keep on existing? I just want to understand your point
Maybe @Somber is referring to the theory that all time (or at least the past up to the present) already and will always exist. If you ascribe to this view of time, space is a growing four dimensional space. So while people may not remember you, you will always exist in a part of the universe.

Reactions: D&D and Snake of Eden
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
It's more complicated than just consciousness. Think about flowers - they don't die immediately when cut. They can actually continue with their life cycle for some time. Being "alive" is mainly determined by the presence of ATP in cells. I don't understand the exact biology behind it, but pretty much as long as your heart is pumping, that compound is being refreshed and you can stay alive. This is why people can survive even after brain damage that makes them a vegetable. It's also why the functioning of the heart determines whether someone is clinically alive or dead.

TLDR, when your heart stops, ATP production stops, and you are dead - start decomposing.

I think this thread is less about the biological death of your body and more about what haopens to you as in the thing inside your head after your body goves out.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I think this thread is less about the biological death of your body and more about what haopens to you as in the thing inside your head after your body goves out.
I guess there are two ways to think about this:
1 - consciousness is electrical impulses running through your brain. Without a source of energy these cease and so do you, as a sentient being.
-or-
2 - Everything that controlled your consciousness is the same, at the atomic level and below. All the forces in every one of your atoms is still there. So while you no longer exist an a complete sentient being, your consciousness isn't lost, it's just dispersed. Possibly to become part of someone in the future.

Reactions: Luchs and avoid_slow_death
Somber

Somber

Arcanist
Jan 6, 2022
Do you mean it in the sense that people would remember who you are and what you did? But they die too. What aspect of the past you think will keep on existing? I just want to understand your point
At the risk of being perceived as : 🤪

In a world where you can move in any direction for 3 dimensions but only 1 direction for the 4th dimension it may seem as a given that time is a constant.

However it's well documented that, both in perceived and measured time, conditions arise, based on our mental state (unconsciousness, routine, boredom) or the speed at which we move relative to one another (atomic clocks tick slower in orbit than planetside), that alter the speed at which time flows.

Time as such is clearly not a constant and can be slowed down or sped up based on various circumstances.

While it seems we are all determined to move towards the future our senses are limited to experiencing only the present. Tomorrow and the days after we will still be in the present and today will definitively be relegated to the past.

Or will it?

As our actions today influence the course of events tomorrow so have our actions of the past given shape to our present. All are inextricably linked together. This dependency on one another necessitates the need for the past to exist as a reality that would inevitably lead to our current present.

A reality where it's June 22nd 2021 and you just registered to the SS forums; a present where you are taking your first babysteps; a present where ...

You are still doing all of those things until the end of time. I believe they call this existential dread.

An interesting article with a similar idea can be found here: Does the past still exist somewhere?

Reactions: Snake of Eden
Shu

Shu

As above, So Below.
Jan 21, 2022
You will not die.

• Aww..
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment