• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Unfortunately yes I do. It's not unfortunate because of them, all things considered they're decent people, but still living at home at this age makes me feel like shit about myself. It wasn't always like this. I lived on my own for years and was fairly independent. Then things changed in my life and I ended up moving back. What was originally only supposed to be a temporary move of a year at most, turned into two. Then COVID hit and I used that as an excuse to stay even longer, and I'm still here.

The worst thing is that living with them has caused me to regress so much as a person that going back to live on my own seems like a very daunting task now. It's just one of those things where I've slowly dug myself into such a hole over the past 4-5 years I have no idea how to get out.
I relate so much to this. I have been with my parents for around the same amount of time. Trying to dig myself out of this hole. I don't know what I will do if my intended career change fails. As I see it, it is the only promising option I have for achieving financial independence.

I avoid going out or seeing anybody unless they have similar rough circumstances because I am so ashamed of my situation. When I was younger, I had such high hopes for my life - at least as far as having a career goes. If I had known the direction my life was to take, I probably would have stepped out in front of a bus.

Wojaczek

Wojaczek

Student
Oct 24, 2021
The worst thing is that living with them has caused me to regress so much as a person that going back to live on my own seems like a very daunting task now. It's just one of those things where I've slowly dug myself into such a hole over the past 4-5 years I have no idea how to get out.
i feel this

Reactions: Rocinante
Monkeyman

Monkeyman

Dec 27, 2022
I live with my mother. Wouldn't feel bad about it if she wasn't a completely narcissistic, abusive, manipulative and straight-up stupid excuse of a person. Twice I've almost managed to move out, but ended up unable to.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I'm 31 and my parents are temporally allowed in my premises while they seek refuge somewhere else. My patience is not infinite.
Yes, I'm in early 30s. It would be difficult for me to look after myself otherwise, and they are the only people I have (at the same time also the ones tying me to this existence). They were helicopter parents who wouldn't let me grow up, so they reap what they sow. Now I see it as me making the most of my situation. If I had to live alone I'd have to take care of food, cleaning, clothes, lots of life problems. It would be a terrible life to live. At least now it frees up some of my mental capacity not having to deal with as many life problems.

I fear the day they leave, I'll be left with no close people for support, as well as having to deal with all these life problems all by myself, hence planning for CTB gives me some solace and hope.
Many of the problems you speak about are probably smaller when you are by yourself or living with someone else in a small place. For me the real reason I live with my parents is that I have nobody else physically besides me. I would be excruciatingly alone in some rented place.

But I also have chronic fatigue so I hear you, buying, maintaining and cleaning shit is daunting almost always.

Last edited:
D

delinatiff

Dec 31, 2022
Yes, I am 20 and I work and study. Planned moving out in the summer but now I will ctb probably so not planning anything anymore

☆AwaitingEntropy☆

☆AwaitingEntropy☆

Snuffing the Light Out
Nov 6, 2021
With relatives, yes. I had to move back in with them in November because my roommates didn't want to renew the lease and it's just too expensive to exist on my own. I'm struggling because I was so happy living with my friends, it was just too much money for everyone to afford.

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
No, now I live at my gf's so I'm dependant on her instead. It still sucks, but at least she'll be alive longer than my parents, making it a more stable home unless she splits up with me. Sigh.

Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
Yes, but I'm 18 so I suppose that's normal at my age. Though I hardly ever see my dad due to his work and I've been disowned by my mother.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Yes, currently still studying and in school. My sister is 25 and also lives at home but works and pays certain bills. I don't think it should be something looked down upon as long as you're contributing to your household in some way.
Probably should not be looked down upon regardless, although not all contributions have to be financial either.

I think a worse scenario is when you (meaning anyone) have kids of your own and expect your parents to take the whole crew on..
I hate the idea that grandparents ought to be second parents, especially when said grandparents still have some of their own kid's siblings to worry about.
(I have seen grandkids somehow win priority over a grandparent's other children and it's not right.)
To expect them to uphold their own parental responsibility until you have the means to thrive on your own or until you perish is one thing.
They brought you into this world with their own selfish gamble, after all.
But I've never seen the expectation of extending that through generations/seeing that they must attend to their child's own decision of parenthood, as reasonable.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I'm actually living in a private institution at the moment, but it's a parent who pays for me to be here. I lived under financially similar circumstances with other relatives functioning as my home base for many years, a situation that eventually became nightmarish for me. This is better, but it's stupid expensive, and I can't expect it will be permanent. At least here I feel like I have an alternative to ctb if I want it.

Once my last parent is gone (the other died fairly young), I don't think things will go well for me. There will be few options, all of them terrifying. At least my health is very poor for my age, so I'm hoping to perish of more or less natural causes within the next year or three. That would really be the best solution for everyone. My deceased parent went out early due to a collection of health problems that I also have myself, so maybe poor self-care and hoping really hard will actually work in my case…?

Last edited:
k!tten2423

k!tten2423

An Open Book
Dec 31, 2022
I'm 26…I move back and forth because….life…Right now I'm back with them…bad relationship, two kids, it's easier and they honestly love it (cuz grandkids) and it's easier on me….but it does suck…

S

Secret

Feb 10, 2021
Yes. I am 34 and live with my mum.
I cannot work. I feel like a failure. I can't even properly help her with bills or anything as much as I would like to.
Her and my animals are all I've got.

hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Yes, very unfortunately.

I'm 35 and still living with my now elderly father (who is the root cause of a lot of my trauma).

It's not like I've never left home, but a series of failed endeavors left me with no where else to go except to return here.

At this point, the only way I'll be able to move out on my own is if I win the lottery.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante and Ringo
S

Secret

Feb 10, 2021
Yes with one parent. I'm in my late 30s. I would be completely isolated otherwise and couldn't make it financially either.
I'm 34 and still live with my Mum. I struggle to cope every day, so I know I really wouldn't be able to if I lived alone.
Yes, I'm in early 30s. It would be difficult for me to look after myself otherwise, and they are the only people I have (at the same time also the ones tying me to this existence). They were helicopter parents who wouldn't let me grow up, so they reap what they sow. Now I see it as me making the most of my situation. If I had to live alone I'd have to take care of food, cleaning, clothes, lots of life problems. It would be a terrible life to live. At least now it frees up some of my mental capacity not having to deal with as many life problems.

I fear the day they leave, I'll be left with no close people for support, as well as having to deal with all these life problems all by myself, hence planning for CTB gives me some solace and hope.
I'm 34 and I still live with my Mum. I know for certain I would not be able to cope on my own. I often feel like a little kid as I know other people my age (and younger) are living on their own and making a life for themselves, but here I am. 34 and never left home. Unable to work. Rely on my Mum alot tbh.

P

piccadilly

Oct 20, 2018
Yes, I do. I'm about 40 and still live with my dad. I guess I would be living with my mom too, but she died when I was young.

Z

Zelonis

Jan 22, 2023
Yes. I am currently splitting my time taking care of my grandma, usually from Saturday to Wednesday, and spending the rest of the week, Wednesday to Saturday, with my dad. My hope is to have an actual place by my 20th birthday.

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Sometimes I lived with both of my parents, sometimes just one of them, a few years ago I lived with my mother and aunt, then I moved with my dad to another country. What I miss in a certain way is the degree of independence I lost when I moved, I can't play music anymore, I can't work like I used to, I can't go out without being supervised, I can't have friends without arbitrary approval, I couldn't bring my pets and at this point I keep studying just to keep up appearances in this stressful place.

Every attempt to change my situation has failed and resulted in more limitations for me, so I'm going to be stuck here forced to obey, like all my life, nothing new, but at least my mother became lax with me over the year, so I won some freedom only to lose them suddenly.

zaros

zaros

insane but in the cool way
Jan 21, 2023
i'm moving out of my parent's house for the first time in a few weeks, before that ive always lived here and been too depressed and adhd to actually take care of myself properly and shit, cant say im not excited to move but its partially because it removes a lot of the guilt factor

Bitterman1996

Bitterman1996

Student
May 20, 2020
Yes, though culturally it's okay to some degree but i am very sheltered 🤣🥴

theRightThingToDo

theRightThingToDo

Jan 22, 2023
Yes i live with my parents. But that is not really the problem.

Is not a problem because i have a lot of freedom and since i am in my late 30s and i don' want to be an stepfather i have resign myself to not have a girlfriend in the future.

The problem is that if i wanted or needed to start to live outside my parents house i can't because i don't have the money.

Alcoholic Teletubby

Alcoholic Teletubby

Rip in piss
Jan 10, 2022
I have always been a burden to my family. I'm considering forcing myself to go and just live alone at this point. I might kill myself sooner.