• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

coma-baby

coma-baby

Misanthropic Drunken Loner
Aug 21, 2019
Be it tabletop games, video games, writing roleplays, LARPing, or any other form of roleplaying. Do you find yourself escaping your miserable day-to-day by being someone else?

I prefer tabletop roleplaying games. I was really into Dungeons and Dragons 5e for a few years and around this time last year, I was introduced to Vampire: The Masquerade. I really enjoy creating characters that are nothing like myself. I like making characters that have lives worth living. Although, I do have a fair share of characters with traumatic backgrounds and mental illnesses. Sometimes I'll make characters with really dark or bleak stories - much worse than my life. Just so I can feel okay in my day-to-day knowing that I'm better off than them.
I guess this could also be classified as a form of maladaptive day dreaming due to how much time and energy I put into these characters in order to avoid having to live my own miserable life.

Does anyone else here take part in these activities?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: TheGoodGuy, 262653, Sargasm and 6 others
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
That depends. If you use that roleplaying to avoid the essential activities as to eat, to work, to being healthy, well, it could be a problem.
I consider the role playing a misunderstood tool to understand the human mind. To make characters who are opposite of what kind of life we want (As I made a lot of feminine avatars and characters on MMORPG and tabletop as an unaware desire of gender change), is a good spent time. The problem could start when we want to stay on the other side of imagination.
I'm a misguided writer so I love to make character sheets and short bios about my characters of my histories who I didn't finish beyond the draft (I only finished one novel on my Spanish native language). So I like your viewpoint about roleplaying.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Righttodie, 262653 and 2 others
Ermac

Ermac

Aug 20, 2019
Yes I have a long history of playing various roleplaying games and MMORPGS. I would disassociate from reality and imagine myself in the universe or spend time theorizing how things would play out next. Though never got to play D&D, none of the people I was close to played it.

It was enjoyable growing up but also led to some of my own mental and health problems because I would cope with it so much that I got addicted. Continued to choose games over doing something productive....a bit regrettable but can't change the past.

Reactions: coma-baby
coma-baby

coma-baby

Aug 21, 2019
That depends. If you use that roleplaying to avoid the essential activities as to eat, to work, to being healthy, well, it could be a problem.
I consider the role playing a misunderstood tool to understand the human mind. To make characters who are opposite of what kind of life we want (As I made a lot of feminine avatars and characters on MMORPG and tabletop as an unaware desire of gender change), is a good spent time. The problem could start when we want to stay on the other side of imagination.
I'm a misguided writer so I love to make character sheets and short bios about my characters of my histories who I didn't finish beyond the draft (I only finished one novel on my Spanish native language). So I like your viewpoint about roleplaying.
I like your viewpoint as well!
I think I really do like the writing aspect of it. It's a constructive form of escapism in a way. Because you're developing writing and storytelling skills. And you're spending time exploring other perspectives and teaching yourself empathy.
I also totally agree with your experience playing characters of the gender you want to live as. I always chose male characters and would focus on them and putting myself in their place because I wanted to live my real life as a man.

I feel like at times, I've been a little unhealthy with my roleplaying. Where it'll be the only thing that makes me happy, so I put as much energy as I have into it. Sometimes ignoring all other responsibilities. Currently, I'm not working. If my brain was in a better place, I would be using all of my new free time to engage in roleplay and writing stories about my characters. My medicine, my hospital stay, and my stresses are making it hard to concentrate on anything properly, so I haven't been able to indulge at all. Which is just another bummer on top of every single other thing.
Yes I have a long history of playing various roleplaying games and MMORPGS. I would disassociate from reality and imagine myself in the universe or spend time theorizing how things would play out next. Though never got to play D&D, none of the people I was close to played it.

It was enjoyable growing up but also led to some of my own mental and health problems because I would cope with it so much that I got addicted. Continued to choose games over doing something productive....a bit regrettable but can't change the past.
I relate! I love roleplaying. It's very fun and engaging. But I definitely have let it become something that is unhealthy.
Maybe look into playing D&D online if you're comfortable? There are groups that play over Discord on a regular schedule.

Pistolero114

Pistolero114

Veteran
Jun 25, 2019
Actually; yes. For some psychiatrists that's a ding ding ding to diagnose disassociate identify disorder. But I feel those of us who KNOW we are pretending aren't DID, just looking for an escape from an otherwise excruciating existence.

Last edited:
Reactions: restingspot and coma-baby
coma-baby

coma-baby

Aug 21, 2019
Actually; yes. For some psychiatrists that a ding ding ding to diagnose disassociate identify disorder. But I feel those of us who KNOW we are pretending aren't DID, just looking for an escape from an otherwise excruciating existence.
I've been meaning to talk to my therapist about my characters. I do tend to give them the same sort of trauma I experienced during my childhood as a way to cope and to work out different ways to confront it at some point in the future. Maybe he'll be entertained by the idea. Maybe he'll misdiagnose me with DID. :/

What sort of roleplaying do you like to do? Do you write? Do you play games?

Pistolero114

Pistolero114

Veteran
Jun 25, 2019
I've been meaning to talk to my therapist about my characters. I do tend to give them the same sort of trauma I experienced during my childhood as a way to cope and to work out different ways to confront it at some point in the future. Maybe he'll be entertained by the idea. Maybe he'll misdiagnose me with DID. :/

What sort of roleplaying do you like to do? Do you write? Do you play games?

I write song lyrics and accompanying sheet music and Guitar tabulature. I play guitar as my primary intsrument with violin piano bass guitar and organ. I have a first generation Yamaha Clavinova electronic piano & a 1961 Hammond B3 organ with a rotating speaker cabinet. I write songs about depression ; along the lines of maybe The Black Crowes She Talks To Angels would be close. You have any other interesting pastimes?

coma-baby

coma-baby

Aug 21, 2019
I write song lyrics and accompanying sheet music and Guitar tabulature. I play guitar as my primary intsrument with violin piano bass guitar and organ. I have a first generation Yamaha Clavinova electronic piano & a 1961 Hammond B3 organ with a rotating speaker cabinet. I write songs about depression ; along the lines of maybe The Black Crowes She Talks To Angels would be close. You have any other interesting pastimes?
Wow, you sound like a really talented man! Music is a beautiful escape.

Mostly, I draw and paint. I actually painted my profile picture. And I'll write and make comics from time to time. But mostly I do the pictures.
This is a sketch from last week.
Watercolor sketch

• Love
Reactions: irregularheartbeat and Divine Trinity
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
Always, although not by "being someone else".
In my dreams I am either finally myself or play a role/lead the protagonist(s); in my daydreams I usually do not exist but think of/observe the relationships between some of my favourite characters.
I am no longer interested in anything outside of illusionary worlds.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Lethe, 262653, irregularheartbeat and 1 other person
Pistolero114

Pistolero114

Veteran
Jun 25, 2019
Wow, you sound like a really talented man! Music is a beautiful escape.

Mostly, I draw and paint. I actually painted my profile picture. And I'll write and make comics from time to time. But mostly I do the pictures.
This is a sketch from last week.
View attachment 15434
Those are stunning. I live nature stills handdrawn. I think it's you who's the real talent. Actually they do remind me of some of my daughter's story books I would read them when they were just little.

If I could CTB and be suspended in that moment with my girls on my lap; me reading Frosty the snowman and The night before Christmas on Christmas Eve and their big brown eyes starting to close because it's late but Poppa/Daddy said we could stay up late and wait for Santa Claus; then I would happily accept that as my eternal existence. Back when you could be a hero in a little girls eyes.

Thanks for letting me share and for following me all this way. You've a real talent; all reminiscing aside.:heart:

Last edited:
  • Love
Laststop

Laststop

Experienced
Jul 9, 2019
Actually @coma-baby, for what it's worth, I envy you and your role playing. When I was a kid in the early 80s I went to a therapist for a while. One day when my parents were there he told me he had been telling them about D&D, and asked me if I had heard of it. I had, but all I knew was that the "cool kids" made fun of it, and I told him I had no interest. Over the years I have been so mad at myself for not jumping at the chance. Not only was I offered the chance, but also with the parents blessing. I guess he told them it would be a good thing for me, and they would have supported it as a therapy. When I got older I realized it would have been perfect for who I was at the time.

• Hugs
Reactions: irregularheartbeat and coma-baby
coma-baby

coma-baby

Aug 21, 2019
Actually @coma-baby, for what it's worth, I envy you and your role playing. When I was a kid in the early 80s I went to a therapist for a while. One day when my parents were there he told me he had been telling them about D&D, and asked me if I had heard of it. I had, but all I knew was that the "cool kids" made fun of it, and I told him I had no interest. Over the years I have been so mad at myself for not jumping at the chance. Not only was I offered the chance, but also with the parents blessing. I guess he told them it would be a good thing for me, and they would have supported it as a therapy. When I got older I realized it would have been perfect for who I was at the time.
It's not too late to get into it now if it still interests you. D&D is even seen as a decently cool adult hobby these days. Being able to take a few hours every couple of weeks to sit and create a story with other people and be able to do fantastic and superhuman things is a great distraction from the troubles of everyday life.

• Love
Reactions: Laststop and irregularheartbeat
irregularheartbeat

irregularheartbeat

Memento Mori
Aug 25, 2019
My bestfriend and I always escaped to imaginary games, being 21 and 22 it still hasn't stopped. It's helped us cope through some monstrosities of times, but the only problem is it also did damage on our mental health. My friends been diagnosed with DID, and Im waiting on diagnosis atm for things but definitely have problems with switching personas to avoid dealing with any emotional or social situations.

• Love
Pistolero114

Pistolero114

Veteran
Jun 25, 2019
Those are stunning. I live nature stills handdrawn. I think it's you who's the real talent. Actually they do remind me of some of my daughter's story books I would read them when they were just little.

If I could CTB and be suspended in that moment with my girls on my lap; me reading Frosty the snowman and The night before Christmas on Christmas Eve and their big brown eyes starting to close because it's late but Poppa/Daddy said we could stay up late and wait for Santa Claus; then I would happily accept that as my eternal existence. Back when you could be a hero in a little girls eyes.

Thanks for letting me share and for following me all this way. You've a real talent; all reminiscing aside.:heart:

When I'm not trying to figure out which methodologies would help me CTB I usually have one of these in my hands. Music. It's a key and a universal language. The same with mathematics. Maybe I'll finish writing these songs before the end comes. Maybe not. But in a hundred years no.one will know I ever existed.

Last edited:
coma-baby

coma-baby

Aug 21, 2019
When I'm not trying to figure out which methodologies would help me CTB I usually have one of these in my hands. Music. It's a key and a universal language. The same with mathematics. Maybe I'll finish writing these songs before the end comes. Maybe not. But in a hundred years no.one will know I ever existed.
I'm sorry for not getting back to you for over a month. It's beautiful that you turn to music in times of need. Art is such an important tool in coping and healing. You are such a pleasant soul and I wish only the best for you and that you'll find peace. I thought about you and this post quite often while I was on hiatus.
Your grandkids will always have the fond memories of you reading books to them. I know I will always remember my grandpa reading to me even though he was only a part of my life for five short years.

Reactions: Pistolero114

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I love role-playing video games. But rather than role-playing I powergame. I like to come with interesting builds and put them into practice. But I'm not associating myself with player character. It serves more like a medium for a sandbox where I do some fun shit. Besides serving as an effective distraction there is nothing useful to it, but that's good enough already, as it's the maximum I can expect from any activity.

E

Elias

Experienced
Mar 19, 2019
12 years of tabletop rpg here. :) I'd like to reroll some stats and redo a character IRL tbh.

Reactions: Skathon, coma-baby and 262653
Pistolero114

Pistolero114

Veteran
Jun 25, 2019
I'm sorry for not getting back to you for over a month. It's beautiful that you turn to music in times of need. Art is such an important tool in coping and healing. You are such a pleasant soul and I wish only the best for you and that you'll find peace. I thought about you and this post quite often while I was on hiatus.
Your grandkids will always have the fond memories of you reading books to them. I know I will always remember my grandpa reading to me even though he was only a part of my life for five short years.
:hug:

coma-baby

coma-baby

Aug 21, 2019
12 years of tabletop rpg here. :) I'd like to reroll some stats and redo a character IRL tbh.
I feel that. HARD.
I wish I could move some points from the Appetite stat into the Hope stat.

Reactions: Escargot Shorts
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Tears-of-a-Clown Ass Bitch
Sep 26, 2018
i do it pretty routinely almost every weekend, running a dnd campaign. as a gm i don't get to focus on a singular character but rather present choices and circumstances to players and then play out those effects, which i think is what keeps me really engaged with the hobby. i don't have to worry too much about making sure my players do the 'right things' or end up with the intended consequence, just that they're entertained, engaged, and that i keep rolling with the surprises along the way (as there are many).

Futility

Futility

Student
Aug 13, 2019
I loved getting lost in roleplaying games so much that I ended up running my own server as a DM/GM, I built my own world entirely with the toolset that came with the game, it was difficult to teach myself how to script, but I ended up with something people enjoyed and kept coming back to and swarmed my server whenever I added something new.
I actually miss those times. It was amazing watching people run around exploring things that I had created, asking me to build them a home for them because they wanted to build their character and have a place for their loot that no other players could get into, all my regulars would pretty much get their own plot of land and a custom made weapon of choice or some other widget if they had a job, like law enforcement, they'd get an item that would allow them to teleport another player into prison where they'd have to pay a fine to get out.

It was so much better than real life, I started getting into trouble with my parents for staying up late and living inside my virtual world.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: coma-baby and 262653