• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

saltshaker

saltshaker

salt shaker, rule breaker
Jan 29, 2021
Given some of the objections you have to discord, I am surprised you have an account there - unless I misunderstood what you wrote here:
I do, but for myself it's a platform I use infrequently to reach a few people that I have no other way of reaching. (Before anyone asks, no I don't consider that to be hypocrisy.)

Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021
Personally, I think this is a wonderful idea and I'd be more than glad to join if a group got together. I'd especially appreciate having a space where recovery could be discussed openly, and people felt confident to express some positive encouragement (respectfully, of course), without danger of being labelled a pro-life militant. Somewhere that felt a little smaller and more connected than SS, more like a group of friends meeting over a digital coffee.

There are pitfalls to Discord and other platforms, but you've got to start somewhere, and I don't think anyone with good reason to be paranoid enough to be hiding from their ISP would consider joining a Discord group anyway.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: nopointofliving, Red, avoid_slow_death and 3 others
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
Personally, I think this is a wonderful idea and I'd be more than glad to join if a group got together. I'd especially appreciate having a space where recovery could be discussed openly, and people felt confident to express some positive encouragement (respectfully, of course), without danger of being labelled a pro-life militant. Somewhere that felt a little smaller and more connected than SS, more like a group of friends meeting over a digital coffee.

There are pitfalls to Discord and other platforms, but you've got to start somewhere, and I don't think anyone with good reason to be paranoid enough to be hiding from their ISP would consider joining a Discord group anyway.

This!

I couldn't agree more. And if I had some hope of surviving (I do not want to die, but circumstances are leading me there), I would also love to join a place like this.

• Hugs
Reactions: Red, avoid_slow_death and Broken Buzz
WatermelonMel

WatermelonMel

Melon Master
Aug 19, 2019
There are pros and cons to anyplace and anytime you post online.

I find it hard to believe that any online place would object to a safe haven for those seeking help and support for recovery.
You are right, I guess what I was trying to say is that private Discords are generally a lot more toxic than other chats, but that may just be my clouded judgement from bad experiences I've had with them.

Anyway, OP this is a good idea and I hope a server can be arranged for this.

• Love
Reactions: Red and avoid_slow_death
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
You are right, I guess what I was trying to say is that private Discords are generally a lot more toxic than other chats, but that may just be my clouded judgement from bad experiences I've had with them.

Anyway, OP this is a good idea and I hope a server can be arranged for this.

Thank you!

However, your input IS important. If you have found Discord to be toxic (whether or not your judgement has been clouded), I for one completely believe that your concerns should be taken into account!

The best way, at least in my viewpoint, to help everyone who wants to heal or to support one another as best as possible is to take into consideration everyone's viewpoint even if it may be clouded. If you have had bad experiences there, it is important (at least in my view), that people know this going into such a site - then they will not be blindsided if something happens. The last thing people need during recovery is more more toxic experiences.

Personally for me? I have found it pretty easy to ignore trolls or to get out my mallet and commence with my "whack a troll" mode (joking). I tend to ignore the BS and try to focus on those who really have good input and want to help one another. But I learned to do this after many, many years.

If everyone were to make a concerted effort to really support each other, this chat room would be so very beneficial no matter where it is (including discord).

Of course, there will always be the trolls or worse.. so that might have to be taken into account as well.

I am so sorry you had a difficult time there - chat rooms CAN be pretty toxic.

Thank you again : )

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WatermelonMel and avoid_slow_death
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided the people I invite will have their say in how the server is built and what direction it goes. Only fair since this will be OUR private community to support one another. Want an atmosphere where people can feel comfortable expressing not only their own opinions, but be accepting of the opinions of others, agree or disagree.

• Love
Reactions: Red, Joey, Broken Buzz and 3 others
listeningpost1379

listeningpost1379

enduring winter
Apr 20, 2019
Thank you for stepping up with this, I would love to join if you do end up making one.

• Love
Reactions: avoid_slow_death and Weary Soul
mossball

mossball

Apr 6, 2021
I think a chatroom only about recovery is a great idea. Mixing up with suicidal ideation is not very positive. I truly hope it florishes, OP. Discord may not be the most anonymous platform, but I fear none are...

• Love
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Feb 4, 2020
I think a chatroom only about recovery is a great idea. Mixing up with suicidal ideation is not very positive. I truly hope it florishes, OP. Discord may not be the most anonymous platform, but I fear none are...
Its going alright so far, actually. Tiny, but great group of people there.

• Love
Reactions: Red, Life_and_Death and mossball
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Feb 4, 2020
So to update on this, things are starting off rather well and slowly taking shape in a rather encouraging manner. The core group of us have had some fascinating discussions and a lot of fun. We decided to be a bit more careful about who is admitted for the personal protection of both us and the group, however, it should not be an issue for most people who truly want to discuss recovery in a mature manner. So if you are interested, message me.

Reactions: MartyByrde, Lost in a Dream, Red and 1 other person
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
So glad that this is working for you. Sounds like you are being careful, in a responsible way as well. I am really happy for all of you.

\o/ <--- me showing yay!!

Apologies if this is hard to understand - I had another terrible time last night with a headache and no sleep again. I think it is awesome that you have created a haven for people striving for recovery : )

• Love