muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I'm tired of people suggesting that my suicidal thoughts are a "medical condition" and a "chemical imbalance" that can be treated with medication. I know people mean well, and that there are many cases where people genuinely do find improvement with medication, but it's not a cure-all. Depression isn't the sole force that fuels my desire to die.

Furthermore, depression isn't the only mental illness that causes suicidal thoughts and urges. There are plenty of other mental illnesses that create debilitating circumstances such as anxiety disorders, personality disorders, bipolar disorder, dissociative identity disorder, PTSD, etc. Autism is another huge risk factor for suicide. Beyond mental disorders and the like, there are other extenuating factors that can drive people to suicide as well- homelessness, abuse, financial problems, addictions, etc.

Sometimes, it feels like depression is the only "acceptable" mental illness. I want to emphasize that I am NOT trying to minimize the agony of depression here. I know that severe depression kills. But, it's not the only illness or problem that does.

I'm just tired of people suggesting I take medication to feel better. There are no medications that cure PTSD or autism. There are no medications that cure homelessness or abuse or other external forces that drive people to the ledge. Medication saves lives and enhances the quality of life for many people, but it's not a quick and easy solution. Not all problems respond to medication or require medical treatments to reach resolution. Depression isn't the sole cause of suicide or suicidal thoughts.

I'm tired of people implying that my problems could be solved if I went to a doctor and popped the right pills. It's not always that simple, and if it was, I would not be in the position I'm in right now. If there were simple medical solutions available to end my suffering, I would have gladly undertaken them.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Emmie, GreenTree, Trannydiary and 32 others
feast or famine

feast or famine

Tell Patient Zero he can have his rib back.
Jun 15, 2020
Meds can work well for some people, but others they do absolutely nothing for and can even increase suicidal thoughts.

I have been through the ring around with meds and I recently weaned myself off of Lexapro. I just don't particularly like taking medications. Scientists don't even fully understand the mechanisms of SSRIs.

I think it's a personal choice, but there are a lot of people that unfortunately think that there's one pill that fixes all. If only it were that easy.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, LifeQuitter2018, Trannydiary and 8 others
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
At this point, I'm not convinced that this way of conceptualizing "depression" as this entirely separate, concrete entity from anything else is something that even makes sense.

• Love
Reactions: HowNowBrownCow, it's_all_a_game, sadworld and 4 others
A

andy69

Experienced
May 23, 2019
Medicine is not going yo stop people from treating me like crap.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Sprite_Geist, sadworld and 5 others
Zyntkalla

Zyntkalla

Welcome to hell on Earth
Aug 28, 2020
I know medicine can't fix my problems. My problem is more my shity brain that affects my body and medicine cannot help me. And it didn't help that I didn't talk about it but when I found out I had these problems I had given up before I knew my problem were this bad. And anyway this has been going on since I was about 6 years old. And I didn't find out till I was about 8 or 9 years old. And also I kind know something wasn't right but I just don't care then, and I don't really care still. I can't wait till I CTB. It will be a relief for me. I know when I do go I will be the happiest person on this hellsh life, and I do know life can be grate but not for me. And I know I will puting a lot of people in pain but I can't take this stupid life anymore. I am pain on leave before 30. I was thinking about 27 or 28. And I would like to see where this virus takes us. And I can put up with what I am going through for a few more years.I have been suffering my hole life anyway. But there are days I just want to leave right now or before 27 or 28. The only way I get though this is that I think about all the real bad things I went through and I mean by that is where somethings that happened to me where not normal like my problems made me this way and made me have brain damage that happened when I was younger. That is how I get though every single day of my fuckin life. And zi won't miss this life and humanity. And if I there is such thing as coming back as anther proson I JUST CAN'T DO IT AGAIN. That is how much I hate being human because of this life,and I doesn't have anything against anyone just that I can't handle another human life after this life is over when I decide to go. But if I do come back I think I can only handle a being an animal or plant but not a human,and,I don't think I will ever trust being human again. I think this is going to be my last life as a human. If I get a say about it. And if zi do come back it wouldn't be right way like I like to say to my self is that I will need a vacation after this life, and zi mean a long one form this plant mybe I will have other lifes after this life but not on this planet or I hope so because this life is to painful,and I have a deep cut from this life.

I know I did go on a on but it did help me to get this stuff off my chest,and this is the only site I use to take about my problems. And I try not to take about my problems to strangers,and people I know because I don't want to drag them down in my problems, and how I see is that other people have there problems to deal with and I know how it feels to be in pain,and what I mean by that is there mind and whatever problems that have in there life, and I don't want to drag them down with my problems. And I feet I was doomed from the start of my life,and I don't give a fuck about myself anymore. And also I have been feeling this way since I was about 6sh.And sorry for the bad words on here. But I do feel much better now that I got all that stuff of my chest.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: BRBRB, sadworld, muffin222 and 1 other person
Dark Spring

Dark Spring

Sobreviviendo
Sep 29, 2020
I believe that many people think that way because of the total ignorance that there are of mental illnesses their treatments or "cures". I hope that everything will revolve around a pill that solves all my problems, maybe I don't get too upset about what those kind of people think, I think they mean well but with a lot of ignorance about the subject. I believe and want to believe that there is some form of treatment for every mental illness, but I don't think there is a definitive cure unfortunately. I believe that we can all come to feel better with different treatments, whether it be medication, therapy, meditation or whatever we feel can benefit us. I feel that the difference lies in the different cultures, beliefs, education, economic capacity and so on. I also believe that having a space as SS helps many of us to feel accompanied in the constant struggle that is living.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, muffin222 and NodusTollens
A

asdwannadie

Nov 21, 2020
I'm tired of people suggesting that my suicidal thoughts are a "medical condition" and a "chemical imbalance" that can be treated with medication. I know people mean well, and that there are many cases where people genuinely do find improvement with medication, but it's not a cure-all. Depression isn't the sole force that fuels my desire to die.

Furthermore, depression isn't the only mental illness that causes suicidal thoughts and urges. There are plenty of other mental illnesses that create debilitating circumstances such as anxiety disorders, personality disorders, bipolar disorder, dissociative identity disorder, PTSD, etc. Autism is another huge risk factor for suicide. Beyond mental disorders and the like, there are other extenuating factors that can drive people to suicide as well- homelessness, abuse, financial problems, addictions, etc.

Sometimes, it feels like depression is the only "acceptable" mental illness. I want to emphasize that I am NOT trying to minimize the agony of depression here. I know that severe depression kills. But, it's not the only illness or problem that does.

I'm just tired of people suggesting I take medication to feel better. There are no medications that cure PTSD or autism. There are no medications that cure homelessness or abuse or other external forces that drive people to the ledge. Medication saves lives and enhances the quality of life for many people, but it's not a quick and easy solution. Not all problems respond to medication or require medical treatments to reach resolution. Depression isn't the sole cause of suicide or suicidal thoughts.

I'm tired of people implying that my problems could be solved if I went to a doctor and popped the right pills. It's not always that simple, and if it was, I would not be in the position I'm in right now. If there were simple medical solutions available to end my suffering, I would have gladly undertaken them.

I have joined this forum early today and I have been just stalking it haha, but this post really hit home. I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (asd like in my name) and it has caused so much suffering in my life. I won't go into that because I'll go on a rant. But the thing is that with autism, there is no cure. You live with it for your whole life. There is no evidence that I will be able to live a normal life, so that is why I am here with u guys on this forum.

• Hugs
Reactions: Emmie, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, clocktower and 4 others
F

FoolishDog

Nov 20, 2020
You're absolutely right about the causes of suicide. I was going to make a thread about my particular situation but I can't yet, I'm too new to this site.

For years I was ready. Depression, both clinical and situational, PTSD, substance abuse. I was ready to go. Then something changed. I got clean, I got put on some medications, I go to meetings now. A lot, actually. I started to recover. I had a life. Now, after everything else, my situation has brought me back around again and I think I might have to die after all. When they let me post threads maybe I'll lay out the situation. I just wanted to chime in and say it's absolutely true.

• Hugs
Reactions: BandAddict, asdwannadie and muffin222
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I definitely agree that depression isn't the only illness which makes you suicidal and that secondly medication can't fix it all.

I have a disability which (besides making movements very painful) probably also affects to way I think and generally makes me the person I am - disinterested, not being able to make meaningful connection with anyone and getting generally overwhelmed by the littlest things.

There are no meds which could change the the way I am. Even my mom admitted that everything always seemed like a "chore" to me. And that I'm likely just not a very functional being for "this kind of of society".

I act/pretend in my every day life and it's really getting to me. I'm tired and I'm happy to leave soon.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, demuic, Studio84 and 2 others
peacechoice

peacechoice

Experienced
Oct 11, 2020
I know medicine can't fix my problems. My problem is more my shity brain that affects my body and medicine cannot help me. And it didn't help that I didn't talk about it but when I found out I had these problems I had given up before I knew my problem were this bad. And anyway this has been going on since I was about 6 years old. And I didn't find out till I was about 8 or 9 years old. And also I kind know something wasn't right but I just don't care then, and I don't really care still. I can't wait till I CTB. It will be a relief for me. I know when I do go I will be the happiest person on this hellsh life, and I do know life can be grate but not for me. And I know I will puting a lot of people in pain but I can't take this stupid life anymore. I am pain on leave before 30. I was thinking about 27 or 28. And I would like to see where this virus takes us. And I can put up with what I am going through for a few more years.I have been suffering my hole life anyway. But there are days I just want to leave right now or before 27 or 28. The only way I get though this is that I think about all the real bad things I went through and I mean by that is where somethings that happened to me where not normal like my problems made me this way and made me have brain damage that happened when I was younger. That is how I get though every single day of my fuckin life. And zi won't miss this life and humanity. And if I there is such thing as coming back as anther proson I JUST CAN'T DO IT AGAIN. That is how much I hate being human because of this life,and I doesn't have anything against anyone just that I can't handle another human life after this life is over when I decide to go. But if I do come back I think I can only handle a being an animal or plant but not a human,and,I don't think I will ever trust being human again. I think this is going to be my last life as a human. If I get a say about it. And if zi do come back it wouldn't be right way like I like to say to my self is that I will need a vacation after this life, and zi mean a long one form this plant mybe I will have other lifes after this life but not on this planet or I hope so because this life is to painful,and I have a deep cut from this life.

I know I did go on a on but it did help me to get this stuff off my chest,and this is the only site I use to take about my problems. And I try not to take about my problems to strangers,and people I know because I don't want to drag them down in my problems, and how I see is that other people have there problems to deal with and I know how it feels to be in pain,and what I mean by that is there mind and whatever problems that have in there life, and I don't want to drag them down with my problems. And I feet I was doomed from the start of my life,and I don't give a fuck about myself anymore. And also I have been feeling this way since I was about 6sh.And sorry for the bad words on here. But I do feel much better now that I got all that stuff of my chest.
Honey, I totally understand where you're coming from. No. You do not have to feel sorry for venting. I am in your exact same situation. I would love to speak to you, I know what you mean. I really do. This life is a shitty fucking place. Once I leave it'll be a relief. Like you, I can't stand the fact that I'm a human. It's absolutely disgusting to me that I have to be part of something that has caused so much suffering and ill.
And yes depression isn't the only cause of suicidal thoughts. People want to always tell you to take fucking antidepressants for all your fucking problems, but that shit pisses me off. No, i don't want to be totally far gone from this world more than I already am. Fuck that. I am already in so much fucking pain, physically that I don't think I can take chemicals fucking my brain up. I try to take the pain mentally and if I have these medications fucking me over, how am I supposed to even fight this. I wouldn't, I'd end up killing myself.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, asdwannadie, Zyntkalla and 1 other person
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
Thank you guys for sharing your stories and perspectives :heart: I hate that we all suffer so much and that there isn't a one-size-fits all cure to make the pain go away. I wish it were that simple for everyone so we wouldn't end up on suicide forums ready to end it all. But, life is complicated
:notsure:
I also want to add chronic illnesses to the list of ailments and issues that can lead to suicidal thoughts. I definitely think this one gets left out a lot, despite how debilitating it is for people. I can't imagine living in unremitting physical pain everyday or being housebound due to physical complications, but so many out there are. It's unfair and definitely not taken seriously enough by society as a whole. I love you all :heart:

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: BandAddict, Deleted member 25349, Viceroy and 1 other person
Zyntkalla

Zyntkalla

Welcome to hell on Earth
Aug 28, 2020
I definitely agree that depression isn't the only illness which makes you suicidal and that secondly medication can't fix it all.

I have a disability which (besides making movements very painful) probably also affects to way I think and generally makes me the person I am - disinterested, not being able to make meaningful connection with anyone and getting generally overwhelmed by the littlest things.

There are no meds which could change the the way I am. Even my mom admitted that everything always seemed like a "chore" to me. And that I'm likely just not a very functional being for "this kind of of society".

I act/pretend in my every day life and it's really getting to me. I'm tired and I'm happy to leave soon.

Yes I find it the same way as well the part that your mom mentioned that everything is a chore, and a challenge as will.

• Hugs
Reactions: muffin222
Viceroy

Viceroy

Student
Oct 20, 2020

You got it totally right. You can't day anything without some clown telling you to see a therapist.

• Hugs
Reactions: HowNowBrownCow, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and muffin222
A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
Meds can work well for some people, but others they do absolutely nothing for and can even increase suicidal thoughts.

I have been through the ring around with meds and I recently weaned myself off of Lexapro. I just don't particularly like taking medications. Scientists don't even fully understand the mechanisms of SSRIs.

I think it's a personal choice, but there are a lot of people that unfortunately think that there's one pill that fixes all. If only it were that easy.
Yep, lots of the time they're just like everyone becomes fixed with therapy and meds! Then they show all the success stories on media and what not. Then you come to places like this and you realize your not alone and it truly doesn't work for all and maybe even majority of people.

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, muffin222, Zyntkalla and 2 others
Predestinated

Predestinated

Student
Jan 9, 2019
"Everyone who thinks about suicide has depression" is a narrative created by "pro-lifers" (who don't care about lives at all) to discredit and opress every open discussion about suicide.

• Love
Reactions: Gnip and muffin222
N

Nyxtus

Nov 14, 2020
I like how you mention PTSD. It's crazy, depression is more accepted and tolerated than PTSD in my experience. Whenever my cptsd comes up in a conversation (And trust me, I lock this up like a fucking strongbox because I can't stand peoples pity or judgement) it always blows their minds. "You weren't in the military, how can you have ptsd!?". They literally cannot understand that something like that, you can't just pop a pill or talk to a friend or a therapist and be "better". It's something that can very well stay with you for life. Relationships can help, but if the relationship goes bad it can even worsen the severity of these kind of issues.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Viceroy and 1 other person
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
"Everyone who thinks about suicide has depression" is a narrative created by "pro-lifers" (who don't care about lives at all) to discredit and opress every open discussion about suicide.

I 100% agree with this. They insist that everyone who thinks about suicide has depression so they can justify locking people up involuntarily and patrolling sites like this to try to "save" people because, under their narrative, if we cured our depression we wouldn't have suicidal thoughts at all. This narrative allows them to discredit our individual perceptions and personal experiences because we're "not thinking clearly" and therefore can't form our own sound conclusions on our individual life circumstances.

That does ring true for some people- some people genuinely do suffer from severe depression that can be remedied with medication alone. But, what about those of us who aren't depressed or who have taken various medications to no avail? Suicide is a far more complex and multifaceted issue than pro-lifers want to believe.

I like how you mention PTSD. It's crazy, depression is more accepted and tolerated than PTSD in my experience. Whenever my cptsd comes up in a conversation (And trust me, I lock this up like a fucking strongbox because I can't stand peoples pity or judgement) it always blows their minds. "You weren't in the military, how can you have ptsd!?". They literally cannot understand that something like that, you can't just pop a pill or talk to a friend or a therapist and be "better". It's something that can very well stay with you for life. Relationships can help, but if the relationship goes bad it can even worsen the severity of these kind of issues.

I empathize strongly with you on this. I have (C)PTSD as well, and I've faced the same incredulous reactions from other people when I've disclosed it. PTSD is one of those things that just about everyone knows about, but they're exposed to real-life examples of it in such a limited fashion (war veterans) that they can't seem to grasp that various different traumas can cause PTSD. War isn't the only scenario.

Of all the issues I struggle with in my life, the PTSD, by far, generates the most despair and discomfort for me. Everyday, you wake up not knowing who you're going to be that day. Will you wake up angry? Will you go about the day numb and dissociated? Will you spend the whole day embroiled in flashbacks? You never know. The unpredictability of the PTSD rollercoaster disrupts your entire life, rendering it extremely difficult to function consistently in all the areas of your life. For some unfortunate souls, PTSD transforms into a chronic condition that never fully vanishes. There are no easy solutions to getting better with PTSD.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
You weren't in the military, how can you have ptsd!?"

My other favorite response is, "Oh yeah, I have PTSD too," from someone who's saying it's no biggie but it's a nice badge to add to all the other badges. If they genuinely had it, or geniunely knew how it was impacting them (it can be quite oblique), they would know it's a biggie. Their response would be, "Oh God, me too, I'm so sorry."

Reactions: it's_all_a_game and AutoTap
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
What about my case... I'm not depressed. Don't have any real mental issues (I think lol). I'm in good health and have a good job. I'm going to ctb in 2021 because I saw several family members die at an old age in the hospital (actually had to make the call for my mom, since she was on a respirator), and I am sure that getting old will degrade my mind and body.

So I want to die while I'm still relatively young, can make decisions for myself, and living is actually enjoyable. I'm going to have a great summer 2021, and die happy and on my own terms.

Reactions: Deleted member 25349
Viceroy

Viceroy

Student
Oct 20, 2020
I feel you! Im going to try psilocybin therapy its showing a lot of promise for traumatic things.

Deleted member 25349

Deleted member 25349

SNDreams
Jan 11, 2021
Physical pain is another cause . Wishing i could die rigth now to make it stop

• Hugs
Reactions: muffin222
BandAddict

BandAddict

Specialist
Apr 3, 2019
This is absolutely a problem. Psychiatrists, therapists, etc. are so fucking quick to use us as guinea pigs. It's like "here, this pill will fix your life. And if not, we'll try another one! Or a combination of pills!" Seriously?

If a car is showing a "check engine" light, do you just pump some gas? Get a new paint job? Hell no, check the fucking engine and see what's wrong! Same with mental and physical illnesses. I've been on sooo many medications. When I was 16, I was taking 10 PILLS A DAY. That's just not right, and it never fixed any of my issues. In fact, it added new ones that I'll probably have to deal with for the rest of my life (however long that may be). PTSD is fucking terrible, and OP is right, medication isn't going to make you forget shit or eliminate your fears. Just doesn't work that way.

I hope all that made sense, but it just really pisses me off. So many people have been let down by the system.

• Love
Reactions: muffin222 and nurplexkid
A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
This is absolutely a problem. Psychiatrists, therapists, etc. are so fucking quick to use us as guinea pigs. It's like "here, this pill will fix your life. And if not, we'll try another one! Or a combination of pills!" Seriously?

If a car is showing a "check engine" light, do you just pump some gas? Get a new paint job? Hell no, check the fucking engine and see what's wrong! Same with mental and physical illnesses. I've been on sooo many medications. When I was 16, I was taking 10 PILLS A DAY. That's just not right, and it never fixed any of my issues. In fact, it added new ones that I'll probably have to deal with for the rest of my life (however long that may be). PTSD is fucking terrible, and OP is right, medication isn't going to make you forget shit or eliminate your fears. Just doesn't work that way.

I hope all that made sense, but it just really pisses me off. So many people have been let down by the system.
Therapy is checking the engine but 99% of the time the person checking the engine is blind folded swinging a pillow at it.

Meds is blind folded and lobbing balls in your general direction.

They both absolutely fuxking suck

• Love
Reactions: muffin222, nurplexkid, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
Echo81

Echo81

Feb 5, 2021

I have CPTSD and also experienced a TBI. They put me on meds in the beginning. That obviously did not cure anything except make me fat and tired. Talk therapy has not helped. So 15 years living with extreme depression. On the outside I seem like a happy, healthy crazy cat lady who got it made(not anymore that's for darn sure) Oh you mean the cats I have to stay alive? :) What has helped me in the past is cats, yoga, exercise, eating well, music and decreased participation in toxic relationships. These all help- temporarily. The sea waters run deep. Those I try to share with have a hard time believing my thoughts on this subject. They flippantly say oh it'll get better. No it fucking won't you goddammit morons that's why I am emoting to my peers. The original source- the extreme trauma I have been through and brain damage does not go away and 'talking to someone about my problems' does NOT disappear the problems. We are the only ones who can go through our lives, not anyone else. Nightmares don't stop because I told a stranger that I'm sad. Debilitating grief does not end because my mom says everything is going to be okay. Consuming guilt and shame do not fade away because my friend thinks I'm being dramatic.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: muffin222 and killedbypsychiatry