hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
I thought I would make a thread about some media that is severely depressing.
Feel free to post good movies/anime/TV shows about the subject
Habane renmei
This anime series is good it has great art and character design is the same artist as serial experiments lane.
It has no real action but is quite relaxed and philosophical.

Submarino
A depressing story you should watch!

christiane f
A very bleak German film you will not feel happy after watching

illya 4 ever
A very depressing east euro film

Haibane

• Love
Reactions: Panna, Deleted member 19276, Sensei and 9 others
PointlessStruggle

PointlessStruggle

Wretch
Oct 28, 2020
not sure I got the guts for this sorta stuff. might check it out at least though

Reactions: shy and sadworld
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
not sure I got the guts for this sorta stuff. might check it out at least though
Haibane is very relaxing and more abstract yet not pretentious.
The movies listed really are horribly bleak and make requiem for a dream seem positive.

Reactions: LivedTooLong, shy and sadworld
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
banana fish was the ultimate crying experience for me. the tale of princess kaguya also got me weeping.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331, shy, Konjac and 2 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I watched Haibane Renmei recently after putting it off for a long time, I have to say I thought it had more potential than it ended up putting to use. I wish they had done a lot more with it, gave a few more answers, I don't need all questions resolved but a little more than they offered up. After awhile it became too monotonous like the lives of the Haibane, the charm wore off. The confines of the setting were kind of depressing and after the big reveal half way through, it never really got anymore exciting than that. I was at least intrigued enough to finish it though.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
banana fish was the ultimate crying experience for me. the tale of princess kaguya also got me weeping.
I should have kept watching it then I did try read the manga but only found flipped scans.
As strange as it sounds I have a hard time watching over the top cartoonish drama.

Ningen Shikkaku the manga was better than the book for the feels and obviously good night pun pun is bleak as hell.

Last flower I agree partially but to me that was some of the charm. I felt it included some stuff that it could have done without but was comfy.

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Disney movies depress the fuck out of me.

• Hugs
Reactions: esclava, Deleted member 19276, Deleted member 17331 and 2 others
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: next-season .?, Deleted member 17331, shy and 2 others
succor

succor

tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down
Oct 28, 2020
Oyasumi PunPun always gets me feeling some type of way for a while whenever I reread it.

• Love
Reactions: LUNANYX, Deleted member 17331, shy and 2 others
W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
Wolf's Rain was fairly depressing for me- but beautifully so.

I loved it... and cried...

I actually bought the manga after watching the anime- (there are only 2 manga) The manga was based on the anime.

I have heard... (*heard*) that Grave of the Fireflies is depressing. But i haven't seen it.

I've also seen Saikano-(She, The Ultimate Weapon) *warning some sexual content*, (isn't there almost always in anime?) and that is incredibly depressing too.

As for manga, one series that i loved but was depressing was Nabari No Ou.

Reactions: esclava, shy and sadworld
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
Lilya 4 Ever was gonna be my top answer

besides that there's:

The War Zone
Mysterious Skin
An Elephant Sitting Still
Dogville
Martyrs (where my avi is from)
Cries and Whispers, Shame, Persona, Through a Glass Darkly, and Winter Light all by Ingmar Bergman
Leviathan
Blue Valentine
literally any Michael Haneke movie
Secret Sunshine
Oslo August 31st
Biutiful
Noriko's Dinner Table (where my sig is from)
Devil's on the Doorstep
Threads
Dead Man's Letters

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: esclava, LivedTooLong, agreement and 4 others
allym101

allym101

Ally
May 29, 2020
Oyasumi PunPun always gets me feeling some type of way for a while whenever I reread it.
Oyasumi punpun ruins me... it puts me in such weird mindset. A part of me feels like my life is pretty pathetic compared to theirs. I've always wished that I could've had someone I'd been deeply in love with but I've never been able to have any type of connection like that. It's weird. Reading that made me feel like I wasn't worthly enough to die yet at the same time I'm too pathetic to live.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331 and shy
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Oyasumi punpun ruins me... it puts me in such weird mindset. A part of me feels like my life is pretty pathetic compared to theirs. I've always wished that I could've had someone I'd been deeply in love with but I've never been able to have any type of connection like that. It's weird. Reading that made me feel like I wasn't worthly enough to die yet at the same time I'm too pathetic to live.
What I took away from the mango is it was a raw exhibition of the human condition.
It showed how we can be a victim of circumstance yet are still responsible for our own actions and happiness.
I think what I took away from it most importantly is how valuable connections we make are and that we must put them above physical pursuits and desires but be careful not to let them ruin us. It showed no one is perfect yet capable of redemption.
It showed how hard it can be to say what we think of other people and that people are not black and white.
Look at pun puns mum she is clearly borderline and had a whole smorgasbord of issues but for how bad she was she really did love pun pun.
I felt as if it wanted us to just enjoy the moment and not to have unrealistic expectations of others.

If the manga was a song it would be a dark ambient track because the atmosphere was so heavy in every aspect.
Have you read Himizu?That is about the only manga I felt was close to punpun even compared to Asino's other works.

Reactions: shy
allym101

allym101

Ally
May 29, 2020
What I took away from the mango is it was a raw exhibition of the human condition.
It showed how we can be a victim of circumstance yet are still responsible for our own actions and happiness.
I think what I took away from it most importantly is how valuable connections we make are and that we must put them above physical pursuits and desires but be careful not to let them ruin us. It showed no one is perfect yet capable of redemption.
It showed how hard it can be to say what we think of other people and that people are not black and white.
Look at pun puns mum she is clearly borderline and had a whole smorgasbord of issues but for how bad she was she really did love pun pun.
I felt as if it wanted us to just enjoy the moment and not to have unrealistic expectations of others.

If the manga was a song it would be a dark ambient track because the atmosphere was so heavy in every aspect.
Have you read Himizu?That is about the only manga I felt was close to punpun even compared to Asino's other works.
No I haven't but I'll check it out. I don't know, my life almost felt incomplete after reading punpun. I honestly can't put into words the emotions that I felt. Everytime I think about it I cry. In a weird way, I almost wish my life was like punpuns. I wish I had a purpose, a story. I wish I actually meant something to somebody. Gah, I won't talk about it anymore but my point is, oyasumi punpun might be one of the most beautiful mangas I've ever read. I don't recommend it to most people though, I feel like you have to be in a really good mindset in order for the story to not fuck you up.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I'm surprised no one has mentioned grave of the fireflies

• Love
Reactions: shy and CoalmineCanary
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
No I haven't but I'll check it out. I don't know, my life almost felt incomplete after reading punpun.
Add Three days of happiness to the list also it is a short manga that is very powerful as well.
Bokurano is a messed up one that is emotional I did not find it edgy though.(it is not ichi the killer !)
Pun pun for me is the best seinen I have read and honestly I sometimes think how if I die I will miss out on its influence on the artistic community becauseI imagine others would try to do similar manga.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned grave of the fireflies
I see this mentioned a lot as depressing and the most depressing movie but I personally never seen it had that effect on myself.
Would you care to elaborate a little? maybe with a spoiler?
I never find war or tragedy that comes from organized mayhem melancholic for some reason.

This one shot is very relevant to this website and is very kawii in style

Reactions: shy and allym101
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
I guess your country or family hasn't been through a violent war. Lucky you.
Probably more like I see it as a natural occurrence that man will go to war as they have always done!! lolz
And I do not really care that much for people in general who I cannot empathize with.
Like don't get me wrong I am not saying war is not bad but we grew up with these types of conflicts on TV and that sort of thing so kinda idk desensitized.

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Probably more like I see it as a natural occurrence that man will go to war as they have always done!! lolz
And I do not really care that much for people in general who I cannot empathize with.
Like don't get me wrong I am not saying war is not bad but we grew up with these types of conflicts on TV and that sort of thing so kinda idk desensitized.

Thanks for the exposure. That was insightful.

You can't empathize? I think you're damn, fucken lucky.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Thanks for the exposure. That was insightful.

You can't empathize? I think you're damn, fucken lucky.
No no no please don't hate me I did not mean to give off this image I am some weirdo that boils bunnies lolz
I just mean those types of media just do zilch for me.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Add Three days of happiness to the list also it is a short manga that is very powerful as well.
Bokurano is a messed up one that is emotional I did not find it edgy though.(it is not ichi the killer !)
Pun pun for me is the best seinen I have read and honestly I sometimes think how if I die I will miss out on its influence on the artistic community becauseI imagine others would try to do similar manga.

I see this mentioned a lot as depressing and the most depressing movie but I personally never seen it had that effect on myself.
Would you care to elaborate a little? maybe with a spoiler?
I never find war or tragedy that comes from organized mayhem melancholic for some reason.

This one shot is very relevant to this website and is very kawii in style
Grave of the Fireflies" (1988) is an animated film telling the story of two children from the port city of Kobe, made homeless by the bombs. Seita is a young teenager, and his sister Setsuko is about 5.

Reactions: Deleted member 19654 and shy
shy

shy

Student
Aug 23, 2020
Nice to see so much love for punpun, it's soul crushing but in a good way. I've been reading a manga called Boys Abyss, it's still ongoing, but feels similar to punpun up until now. Haven't read the last couple chapters, because I'm afraid something bad will happen and it'll fuck me up. A lot of potential triggers in that manga, so be careful if you check it out.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 17331 and hoping to lose hope
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
omg thanks I will read this next I think!!!

Lux

Lux

Sep 17, 2020
Not sure if this counts as depressing or something, but Violet Evergarden. I'm not that good at determining if a show or movie is depressing or not, so I'll just mention this one.

I'm going to be totally honest and say, I cried at certain points. I just get so emotionally attached to some characters, and cry with them.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Do you mean Lilya 4-ever (original title: Lilja 4-ever)? It's actually a Swedish movie. Sorry to be a nitpick. Anyway, I agree that it's a seriously depressing movie.
Semantics nearly due to location of filming being what I mentioned and not creators location.
But yah whatevs =*_*= I can change if you would like.

Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Semantics nearly due to location of filming being what I mentioned and not creators location.
But yah whatevs =*_*= I can change if you would like.

Please don't. Just some nitpicking on my behalf. Can't help it. :P

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
About war so really not for OP but maybe others appreciate it.

• Love
Reactions: waived