• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Lejes Rimul

Lejes Rimul

Feb 9, 2020
Hello, no idea where this can go, but what is a dignified life for you? do you have a decent life in your countries? I am interested in knowing what they think

• Hugs
Reactions: StillWaiting
T

Thanatos

Outsider
Mar 23, 2018
I have access to nearly anything I need in Canada. Problem is I dont want anything but to die

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: highlyvolatile, Lejes Rimul and gnomeboy17
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
Mine sounds kinda ableist, admittedly.
"As long as epilepsy has nothing to do with it, it's good."
I'm already set on ctb at 75yo. If I can get epilepsy out of my head, that rolls. If not, as soon as my father goes, I go.

• Hugs
Reactions: highlyvolatile, Lejes Rimul and terry_a_davis
A

a_strange_day

Arcanist
Jul 16, 2019
I've always had a decent life. I live in a peaceful country, I have more than enough to eat, a nice and quiet flat, easy and unlimited access to health care, freedom of thought and even some extra money to play with. My idea of a decent life.

Reactions: Matthias_k and Lejes Rimul
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
A house with 2 rooms, each over 30 feet long and 15 feet wide. Not the 12-by-6 room I have now. My legs are atrophying in this tiny space.

• Hugs
Reactions: Matthias_k, highlyvolatile and Lejes Rimul
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Dignity is quite important to me. Since I have problems with socializing, job hunting or work in general and bureaucracy, I probably won't be able to live a dignified life in the future.

Now the problem is that society refuses me the means and freedom to end my life (in a dignified manner!) to preserve my dignity (my standards of a dignified life, not theirs! - since they think being pushed around by doctors, the job centre and related agencies, the temp agency slave traders and so on is compatible with dignity/ or they just don't give a fuck about people's sense of dignity in the first place).

A fitting quote by Hume:

"When suicide is out of fashion we conclude that none but madmen destroy themselves; and all the efforts of courage appear chimerical to dastardly minds ... Nevertheless, how many instances are there, well attested, of men, in every other respect perfectly discreet, who, without remorse, rage, or despair, have quitted life for no other reason than because it was a burden to them, and have died with more composure than they lived?"

In a sense I know that I am not living with very much composure. I am not living up to my own standards.

I've always had a decent life. I live in a peaceful country, I have more than enough to eat, a nice and quiet flat, easy and unlimited access to health care, freedom of thought and even some extra money to play with. My idea of a decent life.
Where do you live if I might ask?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Matthias_k, Lejes Rimul, Lost in a Dream and 1 other person
alexK

alexK

Tormented
Mar 9, 2020
A dignified life to me is a life with freedom and basic needs to survive. I do have the basic needs however freedom, not so much. I've been struggling with oppression and abuse and the basic right to be my own person. Therefore, no.. I don't have a decent life in my country and I wish I could escape.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lejes Rimul and RM5998
Lejes Rimul

Lejes Rimul

Feb 9, 2020
Thanks for answering guys, I was asking this because in my country there is a lot of talk about decent life and I do not know what they mean exactly, because if we see it as meeting basic needs, I have seen that in many cases it is covered, not in the best way but covered

A dignified life to me is a life with freedom and basic needs to survive. I do have the basic needs however freedom, not so much. I've been struggling with oppression and abuse and the basic right to be my own person. Therefore, no.. I don't have a decent life in my country and I wish I could escape.
What do you mean by being your own person, what happens that you cannot show yourself as you are?

alexK

alexK

Tormented
Mar 9, 2020
Hijab, forced religious practices that I don't believe in etc

• Aww..
Reactions: puppy9, Lejes Rimul and the box is empty
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
A dignified life to me means earning an honest living in a democratic country. Democracy (for all its imperfectioms) is the best system of government humans have been able to come up with so far, imo.

Reactions: Lejes Rimul
DeathNoot

DeathNoot

Student
Feb 19, 2020
I'd like a peaceful stable job with free time to pursue the things I enjoy. Easier said than done, as it turns out.

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
friends who don't think it's okay to warehouse children in places called schools, nor to organize society around market-growth or the profit-motive, nor to force drugs or other modifications on people on the basis of ableism/saneism.

the chance to learn the patterns of the plants and animals living around me - clean watersheds - ordinary people having a say in how we treat the ecosystems around us, that not being controlled by a monopoly of rich 'land-owners''.

time to learn different skills just for the sake of curiosity, not because i want to make a "profession" of them.

if not to find romantic relationships with people i'm actually compatible with, then at least the understanding of friends that what i'm looking for in such relationships is reasonable and important to me. not to have my boundaries and preferences treated like they must be trauma-reactions that i should try to 'get over'. the possibility that i could be like this naturally, or intentionally, or (god forbid) even proudly.

Lejes Rimul

Lejes Rimul

Feb 9, 2020
Hijab, forced religious practices that I don't believe in etc
oh, be careful if it's a very extreme religion better stay away
although that brings me a question, will religion be necessary for a decent life?

friends who don't think it's okay to warehouse children in places called schools, nor to organize society around market-growth or the profit-motive, nor to force drugs or other modifications on people on the basis of ableism/saneism.

the chance to learn the patterns of the plants and animals living around me - clean watersheds - ordinary people having a say in how we treat the ecosystems around us, that not being controlled by a monopoly of rich 'land-owners''.

time to learn different skills just for the sake of curiosity, not because i want to make a "profession" of them.

if not to find romantic relationships with people i'm actually compatible with, then at least the understanding of friends that what i'm looking for in such relationships is reasonable and important to me. not to have my boundaries and preferences treated like they must be trauma-reactions that i should try to 'get over'. the possibility that i could be like this naturally, or intentionally, or (god forbid) even proudly.
I do not understand your answer too much, maybe it is because it is not my native language, but from what I understand your vision of a dignified life is much more in the person's abilities and his more conscious relationship with the environment around him
maybe that's how people lived before