M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
Asked the inventor of the r2d rebreather if he had an extra one I could give more than it's worth for it. He didn't respond. I wish someone didn't want theirs and was able to use another method.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
Asked the inventor of the r2d rebreather if he had an extra one I could give more than it's worth for it. He didn't respond. I wish someone didn't want theirs and was able to use another method.
Have you considered the possibility that perhaps the R2D Debreather does not work as advertised?

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
My N95 mask is my debreather

• Love
Reactions: cfcfcfcf, Euthanza and sadworld
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Well, that would suck for everyone who got one. :(
The fact that Dr. Nitschke has disconnected himself from the whole endeavor, can only mean that it was a failure.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Euthanza and sadworld
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
The fact that Dr. Nitschke has disconnected himself from the whole endeavor, can only mean that it was a failure.
Yeah, it was definitely a failure. It's kinda sad to be honest but well...

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Yeah, it was definitely a failure. It's kinda sad to be honest but well...
It is sad as it offered hope to many. I also feel bad for those who purchased and received an earlier version device, now with the knowledge that it may not function as expected.

I do believe that Dr. Nitschke is partially to blame for hyping the device so excessively. Finally, this failure does not add confidence to his Sarco project.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie and sadworld
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
There have been at least 3 users on this forum who have constructed their own functioning Rebreathers out of cheap, easily obtainable materials. There are definitely design flaws with the official version, but the actual mechanism behind it shows promise and the users took measures to omit those same design flaws from their finished products.

We can only hope that someone will eventually do a write-up on how to build your own and submit it on here as a resource. It's a shame that TrailerTrash never followed through on his, it was looking so promising...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EmbraceOfTheVoid and Greenberg
S

Stuffz43

Feb 14, 2020
So I just got an email from the ProtonMail account for r2d saying the "ReBreather II" is ready and shipping. The website's updated and accepting orders and apparently there won't be any delays anymore.

I've never used a debreather before and I'm not anxious to spend $190 on a device which may not even work, but I figured I should let y'all know it's out incase I hear some good "press" about this thing and should consider changing methods...

Last edited:
Reactions: Euthanza and not4us
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
So I just got an email from the ProtonMail account for r2d saying the "ReBreather II" is ready and shipping. The website's updated and accepting orders and apparently there won't be any delays anymore.

I've never used a debreather before and I'm not anxious to spend $190 on a device which may not even work, but I figured I should let y'all know it's out incase I hear some good "press" about this thing and should consider changing methods...
Thank you. Here is my 2-cent comment:

This will be at least the third time of product introduction for the R2D Rebreather. I do not have much confidence in a passive rebreather, i.e., not externally powered. ALL working rebreathers are externally powered.

My guess is that breathing has to be unnatural like breathing through a pillow or sponge. This is further exasperated by asynchronous flowrate discrepancies between inspiration (2 tubes) and expiration (1 tube).

The choice to employ animation to demonstrate product efficacy as opposed to a live product demonstration -- up to and including the onset of unconsciousness -- is a dead giveaway (pun unintended) of a product scam!

Also, note there is no Dr. Nitschke endorsement for the product this time.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, profoundexperience and Ἡγησίας
profoundexperience

profoundexperience

You can feel the punishment but you cant commit ts
Jun 29, 2020
It looks like the mask is much more securable in this new version — and that's very important because, unlike inert gas/exit bag where there is venting — for this method to work, the mask must remain airtight throughout the entire process.

@Greenberg does pose really a good question: How does breathing "feel" when using this? Is it natural-feeling (within reason)? If there is too much resistance, it will be uncomfortable. Does anyone know how it feels to breathe when using this? (Warning: If you unseal the filters to do a "test", you ruin them. Brand new filters are needed for each use of the device.)

I thought the video was well-crafted. And, I understand there might be legal reasons why actual people aren't shown... But it is also definitely true that a real-life demonstration (especially showing if there are any affects on natural breathing and onset of unconsciousness) would have been more valuable.

I do think a very genuine effort to make this method work is evident. I think I'd be willing to "try" it...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Euthanza, LifeQuitter2018 and Greenberg
pane

pane

Hollow
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you. Here is my 2-cent comment:

This will be at least the third time of product introduction for the R2D Rebreather. I do not have much confidence in a passive rebreather, i.e., not externally powered. ALL working rebreathers are externally powered.

My guess is that breathing has to be unnatural like breathing through a pillow or sponge. This is further exasperated by asynchronous flowrate discrepancies between inspiration (2 tubes) and expiration (1 tube).

The choice to employ animation to demonstrate product efficacy as opposed to a live product demonstration -- up to and including the onset of unconsciousness -- is a dead giveaway (pun unintended) of a product scam!

Also, note there is no Dr. Nitschke endorsement for the product this time.

Greenberg,

I question your statement that all working rebreathers are externally powered even though I readily admit I don't understand the engineering involved. First, how many "working" rebreathers are there in existence? Are you talking about rebreathers specifically for suicide or are you using the term "rebreathers" in a more general sense?

The reason I bring this up is because the "original" rebreather/debreather from 20 years ago was reportedly used successfully by approximately 10 people (if I recall accurately); this device was simpler in design than the R2D version and was not externally powered...again to the best of my recollection.

The one big problem with it was that the mask had to be held in place on the face of the suicidee with assistance from a "helper" from Nitschke's organization to actually bring about death because of the facial muscles relaxing during unconsciousness.

There's an article in PDF form discussing the experiences/observations of people from Exit International assisting others using it to kill themselves that's been posted here on SS multiple times.

Here's the article:

Attachments

• DeathStudies2010344DebreatherOgden.pdf
    497 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: Euthanza, Ἡγησίας and LifeQuitter2018
gus.nixon

gus.nixon

and now we rise and we are everywhere
Apr 19, 2020
the mask had to be held in place on the face of the suicidee with assistance from a "helper"
Now here in 'Murica we use duct tape on nearly everything for a quick fix. If you need a tight seal, a strong tape like that might do the trick.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Greenberg,

I question your statement that all working rebreathers are externally powered even though I readily admit I don't understand the engineering involved. First, how many "working" rebreathers are there in existence? Are you talking about rebreathers specifically for suicide or are you using the term "rebreathers" in a more general sense?

The reason I bring this up is because the "original" rebreather/debreather from 20 years ago was reportedly used successfully by approximately 10 people (if I recall accurately); this device was simpler in design than the R2D version and was not externally powered...again to the best of my recollection.

The one big problem with it was that the mask had to be held in place on the face of the suicidee with assistance from a "helper" from Nitschke's organization to actually bring about death because of the facial muscles relaxing during unconsciousness.

There's an article in PDF form discussing the experiences/observations of people from Exit International assisting others using it to kill themselves that's been posted here on SS multiple times.

Here's the article:

Here is my response to a similar thread:
I would even go as far as saying that the R2D Rebreather II is also obsolete!

Here is a lesson in history...

The original debreather concept (Debreather) is an adaptation of the SCUBA debreather but "powered" entirely by the user's via breathing, i.e., no compressed gas. In fact, the Debreather led to the eventual development of a more effective inert gas asphyxiation method: the Exit Bag. So, the Debreather came before the Exit Bag and not before.

According to the research report by R. Ogden, 2010 (my Jan 23rd blog entry): "The debreather appears effective in bringing death through oxygen depletion, BUT it also demands third-party assistance...[and as such] is no longer in use." The report further highlights an attempt to improve the Debreather with powered circulation (Spartacus III) which required the user to don a plastic bag. That device was never commercialized with the advent of the use of compressed gas for CBT.

In short, the R2D Rebreather II is an attempt to reincarnate a failed device.

Moreover, if we follow the evidence from the R. Ogden report, we ought to note the details which have been glossed over:
  • Of a sample size of 9 patients, there were 8 deaths and 1 failure, with the 8 remaining patients requiring up to 40mins to reach clinical death (i.e., heart stops)
  • Some were further sedated with alcohol and ALL patients were heavily medicated with Flunitrazepam (benzo) and
  • All experience mask leakage and required assistance to reposition their masks
  • 2 patients wore a plastic bag to induce death
  • Some patients experienced mask fighting (suffocation), nausea, and vomiting
  • Yes: given sufficient time and third-party assistance, it will result in death; and that is why it is no longer employed for CBT purposes
  • A further refinement of the device was attempted (Spartacus III) via powered circulation but never made it to the market due to the timely introduction of compressed gas CBT by no other than Dr. Nitschke!!
I unsure if you see a pattern here or not, Dr. Nitschke is simply cycling through product variations to capture sales through smoke-and-mirrors salesmanship. He has been in this for a long time. Finally, recall that there are no significant design changes to the R2D Rebreather II compared to its initial and second launches.

I would like to suggest that it is better not to part ways with your $190.

• Informative
Reactions: Euthanza and Rabitfever
justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
Now here in 'Murica we use duct tape on nearly everything for a quick fix. If you need a tight seal, a strong tape like that might do the trick.
I am not sure how much of this was supposed to be a joke. Duct tape was indeed used to fix rebreather on Apollo 13. On the other hand, taping stuff to your face is never good idea.

Reactions: Greenberg