• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
That's really tricky then IMO. People who are not suicidal DO NOT want to talk about it, even if they say they are okay to. It's a really tough thing to understand and if you mention it to someone they tend to end up in the oh shit I wish he hadn't mentioned that WTF do I say now? state. It's kind of natural really. I'd have been the same before it happened to me. You are right, we should be better and be able to discuss it, but I'm not sure how to make that happen.
by bringing understanding to it. letting lies spread isnt helping. i think that thought mostly comes from "if they talk to me then kill themselves ill feel bad" so theyd just rather pretend it doesnt exist but its that misunderstanding and silence that is pushing us to it

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
by bringing understanding to it. letting lies spread isnt helping. i think that thought mostly comes from "if they talk to me then kill themselves ill feel bad" so theyd just rather pretend it doesnt exist but its that misunderstanding and silence that is pushing us to it
That IS true. But I also relate to the feeling "if they talk to me then kill themselves ill feel bad" even as one who has been right at the pointy end of the situation. I try and get beyond that because I believe it's the right thing to do, but it's really hard for many people.
Maybe it's this "Talk to someone and they will help you" myth that social media is spreading, failing to realise that opening up will just get you in front of a shrink and leaving with a box of pills.
Maybe the myth needs to be laid bare and the stigma removed, like I think you are suggesting. Stop all these 'suicide awareness' memes and promote an actual serious conversation that tries to dismiss the "if they talk to me then kill themselves ill feel bad" worry.

TBH I've sort of been doing that a little on FB in a depression and drugs group. Trying to counter all the vacuous meaningless inspirational comments with some actual realistic responses. It's fucking hard though when people just come out with shit like "Just pray more."

Sorry, I seem to have gotten more quote marks into that reply than I've used in a month! :love:

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
But I also relate to the feeling "if they talk to me then kill themselves ill feel bad" even as one who has been right at the pointy end of the situation. I try and get beyond that because I believe it's the right thing to do, but it's really hard for many people.
and this i understand but dont you think knowing their past but more importantly daily struggles and actually understanding them could help? its one thing if the person dies, its another thing to truly understand what theyre going through and how horrible it really can be at times, then it is kind of like someone laying in the hospital on life support, yes letting them go will hurt but a lot more people will understand how much staying is hurting us if it comes down to that, we wont have to be viewed as selfish anymore, questioning ourselves (ive seen the posts), if they just understand that its not....

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
but dont you think knowing their past but more importantly daily struggles and actually understanding them could help?
Yes, I do. It's part of the reason I'm still here.
I can only guess that a campaign to have a realistic attitude to suicidality might help, populated by people who actually feel that way rather than professionals and well meaning or crusading idiots.
I just don't know how to effectively translate that into a real life medium that would be accepted rather than shunned.

This is an interesting conversation. I rarely get drawn into this sort of conjecture, but I appreciate your thoughts and earnest attitude. I'm off to bed, but you've given me some things to think about.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
Yes, I do. It's part of the reason I'm still here.
I can only guess that a campaign to have a realistic attitude to suicidality might help, populated by people who actually feel that way rather than professionals and well meaning or crusading idiots.
I just don't know how to effectively translate that into a real life medium that would be accepted rather than shunned.

This is an interesting conversation. I rarely get drawn into this sort of conjecture, but I appreciate your thoughts and earnest attitude. I'm off to bed, but you've given me some things to think about.
THATS AWESOME :) i should be getting to bed soon too lol

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
I'm on mobile and have trouble tagging people in the first place because I have horrible anxiety about tagging the wrong name no matter how many time I double check it, so I'm just going to put this here and if it applies to you if you could like it or something so I know you've read it super duper awesome and if not ill tag you when I get home and can use laptop so it's at least a little easier.

I just wanted to say thank you to the people I talked to on this thread yesterday. I love the way the conversation went. It was nice to have an intellegent conversation with people and not get into arguments over "nothing". It was also nice to feel accepted so..... Thank you guys... Sooooo much :heart::hug:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'm on mobile and have trouble tagging people in the first place because I have horrible anxiety about tagging the wrong name no matter how many time I double check it, so I'm just going to put this here and if it applies to you if you could like it or something so I know you've read it super duper awesome and if not ill tag you when I get home and can use laptop so it's at least a little easier.

I just wanted to say thank you to the people I talked to on this thread yesterday. I love the way the conversation went. It was nice to have an intellegent conversation with people and not get into arguments over "nothing". It was also nice to feel accepted so..... Thank you guys... Sooooo much :heart::hug:
Indeed. It can be done LOL and it's refreshing to see it happen.
Important to remember also, that we all have our issues, triggers and specific circumstances that can set us off if we feel defensive. Some behaviour has no excuse but I think it's always worth trying to cut people some slack if we can and the circumstances permit.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020

@Brick In The Wall @RoseyBird @foxdie @sadworld @elfgyoza (ok i thiiiiink ive got everyone, if not im really sorry) i talked to some more then others however you all had your own thoughts and views so i thank all of you :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: