• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Christopher Reeve

Christopher Reeve

Ein wunderschöner Baum um sich zu erhängen
Mar 27, 2024
After talking to some people, I realized that some of them had already met or were close to someone who committed suicide, so I thought, aren't we suffering from the werter effect or the contagion effect, and in a way this is affecting decision? I think it's a valid point to think about.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I suspect it's what our society/governments/families are worried about. That a suicide in the family/friend circle will legitimize it as a decision for people who may not have allowed themselves to consider it otherwise. Plus, I suspect the grief it leaves can sometimes lead to more suicides.

That's not to say I think that's a completely legitimate reason to stop someone doing it. I think it's responsible to consider what impact it may have on others but ultimately- is it fair to expect us to suffer throughout life purely for their sake?

If we're expected to carry on with life despite what's troubling us- and we may be grieving a loss ourselves- why is it that they then can't? That'a a double standard- surely? They are allowed to let things in life get to them so badly that they want to CTB but- we can't.

I suppose the argument would be that suicide is a deliberate act. It isn't usually a deliberate act to upset someone though. That's usually a side effect the person has quite often wrestled with before going ahead. Besides- how many people here are suicidal at least in part due to deliberate malicious acts from other people? Some at least I'd imagine.

If our parents really wanted to spare us any possibility of experiencing grief and pain- including the pain of loss- we'll likely go through mourning them before we have to face our own deaths. Then- the same criticism ought to be levelled at procreation. That it also sets up a sequence of events that will 100% include death and the pain of missing those we loose.

I'm not sure how common it actually is here too. I did run a poll at one point to see how many members had suicides in the family:

For me personally, I would be the first I know of in my family to go out via suicide. I don't think I'm close enough to my family for it to impact them to suicide themselves out of grief. Would I feel guilty (were it possible) if it legitimized it as an option for someone else? Not entirely. I think the choice to suicide is a very personal one. I think the majority of people give it a ton of thought. I think things have to be awful and feel fairly irrepairable for someone to actually be considering suicide in the first place and I'm pro-choice. I think it's a decision adults have the right to choose.