• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Have people in your family CTB?

• Yes

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 60.0%

• Total voters
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I know this has been discussed before but I don't think there's been a poll... Have any of your family members CTB? Has it affected how you feel about it? Do you ever think or worry your own suicide might promt others to do it? Not just in terms of- that it may deeply upset them. Do you think suicides in the family legitimizes it more as an option?

Personally, I don't know of any suicides in my family. I think there's depression and self harm. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them have considered it. But- of the ones I know, I don't think they'd do it. Of course, we never really know.

My plan has always been to wait for those who I felt it would affect most to pass on first. Beyond that- most barely know me now. I don't think it's something that would really affect them. Plus- I think we are our own people. I think we come to this decision ourselves- although, I suppose I could see how it could influence people we were very close to. What do you think? Do you have personal experience of this?

L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
Well, my mother almost shot herself in front of me, not just once, but twice.

I think she tried before she even met my father.

If only she had succeeded. I know that's terrible to say. But she was an awful choice of mate. Terrible genetics. Terrible temperament.

Maybe the 3rd time the vile bitch will succeed in putting a bullet in her brain (or whatever passes as it).

She wears a stupid NRA cap. Doesn't she realize even they don't want someone like her to have access to firearms?

I hate that wretched woman so fucking much. I asked my friend to make sure people know she doesn't deserve any sympathy and she agreed. After all she hates her too and for her own reasons (so not just indulging me out of solidarity. I don't actually expect her to do anything of course.

My twin brother has felt suicidal but I don't think he will ever complete. Too many allistic advantages to enjoy.

I don't like him either and after reading a thread posted here last month by the brother of a user who had died a few weeks prior, I'm very thankful I have no relationship with him.

My friend's mother killed herself when he was a preteen. She wss an accomplished doctor but had schizophrenia and that's where he inherited his own schizophrenia from. He has felt suicidal on occasion but it never sticks. He says he opposes suicide based on his loss and on being a nurse (even though doctors have supported pro-choice beliefs). The death of an individual in psychosis is not the way to judge the whole phenomenon though.

Increases risk of suicide in the bereavement is a proven phenomenon. I don't worry about that. No one I know has the kind of Frankenstein life that was forced on me.

Last edited:
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
No. Nobody ever CTBed from my family / relatives and no known MH issues.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
My dad has attempted before. He told me while I was in the hospital after my failed attempt. I don't remember how old he was when he first attempted, but he would have been older than me at the time (I was 15). It helped to explain why his reaction felt different from my mom and grandparents reactions.

He also threatened to kill himself a year or two later, but it he didn't really mean it. He was just frustrated with my brother and said it in the heat of the moment.

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Grandfathers sister. That is about it I think.

I was not that close to her and it happened when I was young. But I knew her and we visited sometimes.

I think she had schizophrenia and was on meds. She died by partial if I remember right, bathroom door.

TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
Well, it's somewhat ambiguous, because my brother didn't leave a note when he overdosed earlier this year, but I know him, and I think he just wanted it to look like an impromptu "oopsie, didn't realize fentanyl would do that." But he knew.

And he also had a very heartfelt conversation with me just days before; and looking back, it was the sort of conversation one would have if they knew it was likely going to be the last time they spoke to you.

I don't blame him for leaving. I do selfishly wish he were still around, sure; but more than that, I'm glad he can finally be at peace. His life was awful, just like mine (yay for shared childhood trauma..), but he had a beautiful heart, and he was too good for this shitty world.

Orbitc

Orbitc

Sorry for my English
Jul 2, 2023
My ancestors are from a famous noble family and one of them was a terrorist and was preparing an assassination attempt on the emperor - something went wrong and when the police came to arrest him, he shot himself in the head with a pistol.

アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
My great aunt ctb, I don't know why she did it and it definitely wasn't because of mental health issues because she didn't have such problems, at the time she ctb.

nightmare_moon

nightmare_moon

🌌 Pernicious Nightbringer 🌌
Dec 7, 2023
I never witnessed anything or even knew them, but one of my extended family members has taken their own life at some point. I was too young to understand what happened at the time though.

A

AgainChrisis

Oct 17, 2023
Big immediate family with serious MH and substance abuse issues but no attempts that I'm aware of. Lots of ideation by all of us.

• Hugs
reiII

reiII

maybe there's something more
Dec 5, 2023
my older cousin killed herself almost a decade ago. to this day i still don't know why- we weren't extremely close but i have a fond memory of us goofing around.
i like to think i would be joining her and keeping her company, catching up- if there is an afterlife and not just my hope for reincarnation

Last edited:
  • Hugs
restorekarma2024

restorekarma2024

Dec 6, 2023
my uncle did but i never got to know him, i think he had just lost his wife or something like that but i dont know, i was very little and my dad never liked talking about it, i kinda hope i meet him in the afterlife if there is one, we share the same birthname so i always felt connected to him somehow

• Hugs
the_path_of_sorrows

the_path_of_sorrows

Different routes, same destination
Nov 26, 2023
My father's brother when he was 22, "motorbike accident" just with sketchy elements and morbid speeches weeks before.

My mother's grandmother after years of severe depression managed to ctb by full suspension hanging. She had died a few years before I was born. I was named after her, ironically, also considering the same method.

• Hugs
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I answered no because I do not know

but I always assumed that many families hide and do not talk about deaths in the family that have to do with suicide since I've observed relatives who do not respect people who are mentally ill or because of religion in other cultures and families and the shame related to suicide

I think I will have to look into it more because I never understood that and I wonder if anyone else's families or relatives are that way

• Love