Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
I've got Strauss's Death and Transfiguration on the mind, having listened to it twice today while lying in the sun on a coastal cliff. In recent days, I've also been listrning to Thus Spoke Zarathustra and An Alpine Symphony by the same cat, Debussy's The Sea, and Delius's Over the Hills and Far Away, all these having been called back to mind by the Galician coastal hills I've been walking every day for weeks.
I love this one so much:

The second theme always breaks my heart.

Then there's this time-bending symphony by Sibelius:

One of Debussy's greatest creations, which is saying something:

Only a genius could have written this, and I'm not someone who uses that term lightly.

Three miraculous songs by Ravel:

And just for the heck of it, some Stravinsky:

I deeply love the Sibelius seventh, even more deeply than I love the second, fourth, fifth, and sixth.
Bruckner is one of the my favorites composers.

Also Tchaikovsky, "a la russe"

Of Bruckner I particularly love the fifth, seventh, eighth, and ninth. I've been moved by the completed fourth movement of the ninth conducted by Rattle.

Last edited:
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Don't know if this quite counts a classical. It is orchestral though, and some selections are just beautiful.

Reactions: Manaaja
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021

From all the classical composers through out history Bach is probably the one who speaks to me the most (eventhough I find other pieces equally as beautiful) - his Inventions, Partitas and Sonatas seem to represent my character in a way. Their clear, crisp sound without the usage of pedals to delute or soften anything.The way every melodic line in those pieces is audible and not suppressed in any way or created to overlap each other.
They simply complement each other without the violin clef trying to outshine the bass clef like it seems to be common.
The pieces (especially the Inventions) are all very short (getting to the point quickly) and all include trills which could easily be seen as representative for the short and fleeting highs in life.
Each one of them - despite not lasting long - is still able to bring the melody across perfectly - having stuck the 15th in my head for ages - I know what I'm talking about.
Their beginning parts are always repeated (sometimes modified) in the end parts which make them appear orderly or so to speak: symmetrical even.
The end is the beginning.

Glenn Gould, a revered fellow-Torontonian.

Reactions: omoidarui
DisillusionedDragon

DisillusionedDragon

Pessimist/Antinatalist
Nov 25, 2020

• Love
Reactions: TheSoulless
omoidarui

omoidarui

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Apr 30, 2019
this song is about the love for one's parent which i'm not sure many can relate to "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" but still, a splendida song that i'm currently obsessed with, sang beautifully here by Gigli:

tchaik18401893

tchaik18401893

tchaikovsky
Dec 31, 2022
My favorite composer is Tchaikovsky, hence my username. I like the late classical period, Paganini, de Beriot. All of the Romantic period, Tchaikovsky Dvorak, (young) Debussy, Chopin, Liszt, Sibelius, Borodin, Rimsky-Korzakov, Glazunov, Gliére, etc. Impressionist Era, Debussy, Satie, Ravel. Contemporary, Ysäye, Prokoviev, Debussy, Ravel, some Shostakovich.

Reactions: Pluto and Cathy Ames