HorribleFeelings1

HorribleFeelings1

Its a hard knock life
Jan 18, 2020
I was raised as a Christian, but started following Jesus when I didn't knew a way out of my miserable life.

I want to give an answer to the question based on the Bible (Or my understanding of it) and what people at my Church said to me. They too, used the word to build their opinions (but no guarantee).

When I first started following Jesus, I got rid of my depression (or he did). I had a full year of happiness. But my mental health got worse again and I couldn't follow anymore (pray, read Bible,..), because I felt like I didn't do anything right.
I have two people in my Church which I can talk to, and they said to me when you believe in god and Jesus as the savior, you will be saved and nothing can change that anymore. No sin in the world can bring you into hell anymore.

Joh 10:28 EasyEnglish I cause them to live always. They will never die. Nobody can ever take them away from me.
Joh 10:29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all things. Nobody can ever take my sheep out of my Father's hand.

Here does the Bible describe believers. And no one can rip you out of the hand of Jesus. If you are really his child, you don't have to be afraid of dying of suicide.

My "Mentor" from my Church said that to me: "Jesus would likely be sad when you kill yourself, because he wanted you to be happy. You need to have faith in god, then you may feel happy". I think that could be true. My first year as a Christian is the proof for me. I had faith and was not afraid of anything. The peace I felt was better as every drug you could take. Now I feel unable to have faith, because I'm believing my thoughts more than the Bible I think.

But I honestly doubt if I'm a real child of his. That's the reason I'm still frightened. Still hope I am saved.

Yeah... that's my point of view on that topic.
I hope you find the answers you need :)
THIS IS ME

J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
'Thou shall not kill'.

If that were true it would imply killing in war, self-defense or of animals for food would also be probibited. Which clearly isn't the case in catholicism or there would have been no Crusades, other religious wars, burning at the stake of witches... All sanctioned by the papacy.

the dogma of the Catholic Church has been revealed by God through the Bible and has not changed for 2,000 years.

This is demonstrably untrue, at least with regard to suicide. Augustine declared suicide a mortal sin in his The city of God (early 5th century AD). Shortly after it become church dogma. Before no such prohibition existed. Clearly something changed and rather dramatically.

• Love
Reactions: Heart Shards and Soul
SadJessu

SadJessu

Just tired.
Aug 17, 2020
If that were true it would imply killing in war, self-defense or of animals for food would also be probibited. Which clearly isn't the case in catholicism or there would have been no Crusades, other religious wars, burning at the stake of witches... All sanctioned by the papacy.

This is demonstrably untrue, at least with regard to suicide. Augustine declared suicide a mortal sin in his The city of God (early 5th century AD). Shortly after it become church dogma. Before no such prohibition existed. Clearly something changed and rather dramatically.

I have previously stated I'm not going to continue this religious argument because I don't really have the energy to do so, nor am I here for a religious turf war.

All of your questions can be answered by the Vaticans official catechism if you chose to look.

https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm

Time to fly

Time to fly

TTFN - time to fly now
Nov 3, 2020
Unforgivable sin has nothing to do with suicide...
If you believe in God then sin is sin if I steal from you I sin...if you kill yourself it's sin...there are not degrees of sin otherwise God promise is wrong...nowhere in Bible does it say of you kill yourself you go to hell...this has been the issue with to many churches...it's a guilt trip from people who sin daily to try and put themselves above you....if that same person dropped dead in front of you and had a sin in them where they were jealous of neighbors car and it consumed them would they go hell, no...a sin is a sin and when churches get that they can stop guilt tripping us...

H

Heart Shards

The shards of my broken heart cut deep.
Feb 3, 2019
As a born again christian, I'd say it depends (though I'm not God--don't take anything I say as absolute.) If someone is in unbearable pain, terminal illness, mental and physical, I believe that God would be compassionate. He addresses himself as the Father. What father, who has knowledge of everything, including our personal torment, would punish us for wanting to relived from pain? I have severe mental illness, I can't be held fully accountable because my brain is diseased (once again, a single woman's opinion, not God's) I think the most important thing is you have Jesus, and you have built a relationship with him. He's our lawyer before the Father. He who doesn't believe is already condemned.
wi

I'm sorry for insulting you. If you're a full-time Christian suicide is no option for you because your religion forbids that. I'm not better than you, I''m an anti-villain scum. Putting it very simple, Christianity says that the world is the Lord's creation and there's nothing wrong in it. So no need to suicide if you're not a baddie.
God never said there's nothing wrong in the world, quite the opposite. God talks about the wickedness of the world all throughout the Old and New Testament. That's why he sent his Son, because we couldn't keep the 600+ commandments. Without Jesus, we can not please the father. Show me in the Bible where Jesus condemned suicide. The only unforgivable sin is to not to believe in God's grace and gift of his son's blood. Christians aren't immune from mental illness, terminal illness, poverty, intellectual disability, ect. Your premise is flawed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Silvermorning
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
I have previously stated I'm not going to continue this religious argument because I don't really have the energy to do so, nor am I here for a religious turf war.

All of your questions can be answered by the Vaticans official catechism if you chose to look.

You don't have to reply but if you do try to provide an actual argument instead of pointing to a document that doesn't contain answers to the questions raised nor forms a rebuttal of any argument presented.

1) The theory of the double effect as used by Thomas Aquinas can be used to justify suicide. At least in certain circumstances.

2) Nothing in that document supports your claim of Church dogma remaining unchanged for 2000 years.

The truth is that the catholic prohibition on suicide didn't originate in the Bible but in the teaching of Augustine who in turn borrowed it from the heathen philosopher Plato (human-beings are property of the gods, plural which directly contradicts the christian faith, and thus it would be the equivalent of theft) and neo-platonism. His arguments are spurious at best and easily refuted and they clearly stem from a pragmatic need: the power of the Church was directly proportional to the number of believers and certain early christian sects were all too eager to become martyrs in order to get to heaven quicker or even downright killed themselves off like the Donatists.

I didn't write my earlier post to convince you of anything nor to draw you into a debate: I merely wanted to point out the flaws in your statements so that they wouldn't confuse others.

I fail to see what catholic dogma has to do with the question posed by the OP. If it goes against the Bible it's clearly wrong. Stretching the meaning of a commandment beyond all reason while completely disregarding the fact that no suicide in either the Old or the New Testament was expressly condemned amounts to abuse of Scripture. That it was done for political gain makes it all the more vile.

Christ himself warned of false teachers:

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15, King James Bible)

Augustine even had the temerity of claiming suicide was a graver sin than actual murder or any other mortal sin: he claimed Judas' betrayal of Jezus was a lesser offense than the fact that he hanged himself. Betraying the Savior of mankind and playing a crucial part in the heinous murder of the son of God (in effect Judas all but killed Him himself by delivering Him into the hands of those who wanted Him dead) is somehow a lesser offense than killing oneself... While Jezus clearly was completely innocent and all of humanity is said to be subjected to sin which is why He had to come into this world to die for us.

Given that Christ hadn't died yet when Judas betrayed him clearly Judas was very much a sinner. Augustine thus claimed that murdering an innocent man was a lesser sin than the self-killing of a sinner.

By Augustine's dubious logic Hitler's suicide was a worse sin than the wholesale slaughter of millions he instigated. If he hadn't killed himself he would presumably have met a better fate in the hereafter than all those poor souls who hunted by pain and misery chose to end their existence. Appalling.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Spitfire, Soul and Heart Shards
SadJessu

SadJessu

Just tired.
Aug 17, 2020
You don't have to reply but if you do try to provide an actual argument instead of pointing to a document that doesn't contain answers to the questions raised nor forms a rebuttal of any argument presented.

1) The theory of the double effect as used by Thomas Aquinas can be used to justify suicide. At least in certain circumstances.

2) Nothing in that document supports your claim of Church dogma remaining unchanged for 2000 years.

The truth is that the catholic prohibition on suicide didn't originate in the Bible but in the teaching of Augustine who in turn borrowed it from the heathen philosopher Plato (human-beings are property of the gods, plural which directly contradicts the christian faith, and thus it would be the equivalent of theft) and neo-platonism. His arguments are spurious at best and easily refuted and they clearly stem from a pragmatic need: the power of the Church was directly proportional to the number of believers and certain early christian sects were all too eager to become martyrs in order to get to heaven quicker or even downright killed themselves off like the Donatists.

I didn't write my earlier post to convince you of anything nor to draw you into a debate: I merely wanted to point out the flaws in your statements so that they wouldn't confuse others.

I fail to see what catholic dogma has to do with the question posed by the OP. If it goes against the Bible it's clearly wrong. Stretching the meaning of a commandment beyond all reason while completely disregarding the fact that no suicide in either the Old or the New Testament was expressly condemned amounts to abuse of Scripture. That it was done for political gain makes it all the more vile.

Christ himself warned of false teachers:

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15, King James Bible)

Augustine even had the temerity of claiming suicide was a graver sin than actual murder or any other mortal sin: he claimed Judas' betrayal of Jezus was a lesser offense than the fact that he hanged himself. Betraying the Savior of mankind and playing a crucial part in the heinous murder of the son of God (in effect Judas all but killed Him himself by delivering Him into the hands of those who wanted Him dead) is somehow a lesser offense than killing oneself... While Jezus clearly was completely innocent and all of humanity is said to be subjected to sin which is why He had to come into this world to die for us.

Given that Christ hadn't died yet when Judas betrayed him clearly Judas was very much a sinner. Augustine thus claimed that murdering an innocent man was a lesser sin than the self-killing of a sinner.

By Augustine's dubious logic Hitler's suicide was a worse sin than the wholesale slaughter of millions he instigated. If he hadn't killed himself he would presumably have met a better fate in the hereafter than all those poor souls who hunted by pain and misery chose to end their existence. Appalling.
Look, I'm sorry but I really don't even have the energy to read and process all of this. It's really just making feel worse, I just wanted to give a resource for fellow Catholics, not instigate a religious argument. I didn't come here for this and it's making me feel alienated during an already difficult time. Please just let go.

• Hugs
Reactions: Meditation guide and Spitfire
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
It seems to me there is too much scolding going on both from religion and people. If someone is so suffering they have to resort to killing themself, they deserve only compassion. Nothing else. Just let people die if they want to.

I am disgusted with any religion that tells people they should feel guilty for wanting to commit suicide, or they will go to hell. I consider it evil to do that to people. That is some seriously cruel BS.

I hope everyone here understands that the Bible, is all man made, written by men, over a thousand years ago when times were somewhat primitive, and invented by people. Back then they didn't know what happened to anyone after death any more than we do now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BitterlyAlive_
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
I hope everyone here understands that the Bible, is all man made, written by men, over a thousand years ago when times were somewhat primitive, and invented by people. Back then they didn't know what happened to anyone after death any more than we do now.

According to you, according to christians it's a divinely inspired book. I think you misunderstand the purpose of this thread: it's not meant to argue about whether the religious suicide prohibition is morally acceptable or whether Christianity is true: for christians all that matters is whether their religion actually does forbid suicide or not.

With that in mind the proper method is to examine the sources and base a conclusion on that research. Regardless of whether the christian God exists or not I think it's clear from the Bible itself there simply is no biblical suicide prohibition and the christian prohibition is built solely on the teachings of the theologians Augustine and Thomas Aquinas whose argumentation is either philosophical in nature (harm to others and self) or based on a completely biased, sophistical reading of the Bible, especially the Fifth Commandment.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitterlyAlive_ and 262653
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
. I think you misunderstand the purpose of this thread:
What's wrong with pointing out that what some people are so worried about is a lot of ancient mythology. But you're right, me saying that won't matter to Christians.

I wish all Christians could go back in time to when the books of the Bible were written and see what life was actually like back then. I think it would be a wake up call.

Last edited: