S

s54321

Sep 10, 2024
I'm so sorry it went so wrong. I had no idea cars did that! Is it a.common thing?

I'm afraid your proportion of sulphuric to formic acid is completely off. All that formic acid is useless when you only have 2 L of sulphuric. The right proportion of sulphuric acid should be around 4 times that of the formic acid. Anything else is a waste of reagents.
Dont know much about cars myself, was some old jaguar. Chemist forums might been wrong abit, more sulphuric would have produced the CO even faster if i understand it right now, tho the big amount of both did still produce enough CO for a car to blackout very fast
I never knew this was a thing cars do. Can I ask the your car's make, model, and year. I ask because Im having trouble looking up this external circulation thing and am hoping this would help me find info on it.
Some old jaguar ~2010. extternal circulation is just when it uses the air from outside for the air condition, instead of circling around the air inside/being turned off. Keep your car fully turned off, no radio etc, instead of wanting to listen to good music while dieing like me, and it shouldnt activate.

Reactions: MrHastatti
A

Artemisia

Experienced
May 24, 2024
Dont know much about cars myself, was some old jaguar. Chemist forums might been wrong abit, more sulphuric would have produced the CO even faster if i understand it right now, tho the big amount of both did still produce enough CO for a car to blackout very fast

Some old jaguar ~2010. extternal circulation is just when it uses the air from outside for the air condition, instead of circling around the air inside/being turned off. Keep your car fully turned off, no radio etc, instead of wanting to listen to good music while dieing like me, and it shouldnt activate.
Fancy cars' problems it seems! :)

Considering the amounts used, I'd be extremely surprised if it hadn't worked! But thank you for sharing your experience. Life really is full of these stupid mishaps.

NegevChina

NegevChina

Sep 5, 2024
Since there are some posts here of failed CTB attempts using charcoals for producing CO in a car, on the other hand I see many successful attempts in Asia mainly in Thailand and Japan. Is it possible that the popular Japanese Binchotan charcoals produce more CO and burn for longer time? They are advertised as pure carbon. sometimes just 2 briquets are enough to do the job. These are the long hollow briquets.
Another question, I received a new portable CO detector, the CT-300 for 45$. It can detect up to 5000ppm. Does that sound reliable? Can it help?

Reactions: Unbolted0605 and bwerner