Are you atheist, agnostic, religious, or spiritual?

• Atheist

• Agnostic

• Religious

• Spiritual

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
I'm not sure what you mean. Frankly, I wasn't trying to get into debate with anyone on religion. I understand that there are people here who despise it. Great. I wasn't here trying to proselytize, I was merely responding to $nowLeopard's interest in Eastern Orthodoxy, because it's something we happen to have in common.

I'm not sure why you have seemed to have taken offense to it?
Not offense in any way, goddamn no way I'm starting to believe in imaginary rulers.

I was trying to deter them from getting the idea it is any good. Only I seem to "despise" it, along with national pride and all other forms of shove-it-down-your-throat bullshit that forms national conscience and just look at how well that played out in the Balkans.

Consider I was trying to deter you from thinking of eastern ortodoxy as a religion in the typical sense. It's used in all the wrong ways.

• Love
Reactions: demuic and patheticpartner
ascetic_

ascetic_

Metaphysically Homeless
Aug 28, 2021
Not offense in any way, goddamn no way I'm starting to believe in imaginary rulers.

I was trying to deter them from getting the idea it is any good. Only I seem to "despise" it, along with national pride and all other forms of shove-it-down-your-throat bullshit that forms national conscience and just look at how well that played out in the Balkans.

Consider I was trying to deter you from thinking of eastern ortodoxy as a religion in the typical sense. It's used in all the wrong ways.
Perhaps "offense" was the wrong word.

I just think whether Orthodoxy is "good" or not, is my judgment to make.

I'm not necessarily venerating the political institutions intermingled with it. What happened in the Balkans?

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
Perhaps "offense" was the wrong word.

I just think whether Orthodoxy is "good" or not, is my judgment to make.

I'm not necessarily venerating the political institutions intermingled with it. What happened in the Balkans?
It's wrong on many levels, concerning much more than just faith and politics have nothing to do with it. Religion has never been a political tool here.

What put you off catholicism/protestantism, or in fact, whichever faith you had before? I am rather interested in how western christians construct a worldview.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: patheticpartner
ascetic_

ascetic_

Metaphysically Homeless
Aug 28, 2021
It's wrong on many levels, concerning much more than just faith and politics have nothing to do with it. Religion has never been a political tool here.

What put you off catholicism/protestantism, or in fact, whichever faith you had before? I am rather interested in how western christians construct a worldview.
I actually like some Catholic traditions, but overall, the church itself is far too stained with corruptions, the interweaving with secret societies, and the occult, and barbaric acts of violence against others. I agree with Christopher Hitchens on the Catholic Church.

Protestantism is just sterile and vapid to me. Boring. I can't stand evangelicals at all.

Eastern Christianity tends to posit a different flavor. I see flickers of Taoism in Orthodoxy, especially in hesychasm. Reading about the desert Christians who left society to go spend their lives praying in the desert - it's just radical and interesting to me.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: lostundead, patheticpartner and callme
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
Atheistic Satanist.

There's no literal Devil or God mumbo jumbo going on, it's a life path without that shit.

• Love
Reactions: J031, patheticpartner and TheSoulless
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I think H. P. Lovecraft (?) said it best – "In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist." That's exactly how I feel.

If there really is a god, I think it would be an evil one.

• Love
Reactions: J031, NearlyIrrelevantCake and patheticpartner
lobster salad

lobster salad

overcooked :(
Aug 27, 2020
Agnostic because I highly doubt there is a god, from what I have seen with my own eyes. But not an atheist because I am not going to prove that there definitely isn't an existence of something nobody would even know for certain until the day they meet their peace. Especially since I have only lived life through my experience and not that of someone else's.

• Love
Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake, patheticpartner, Fragile and 1 other person