Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Prochoice. You want to die ok. You want to try to get better that's cool too. But what if it's someone that's is working towards recovery that fell down. And you know they will be fine in a day or 2. They told you "don't let me die". Is it still pro choice if they asked you to take their option away?

Reactions: Stick, lostangel and Brick In The Wall
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I'd say it's still pro choice if you tell a person to wait some more time or to reconsider/Think about it...but if they do that and still feel shit I wouldn't try talk them out of ctb. I'd just accept it.
Also if someone literally asks you to help them recover then I wouldn't recommend ctb lmao, that would be like murder or something

Reactions: Sensei, Stick, Fragile and 2 others
Rünomai

Rünomai

Neurodivergent
Aug 15, 2020
If you're pro-choice, you're a advocate for allowing people freedom of choice. Being pro-choice is mutually exclusive from beseeching someone to commit suicide (indirectly).

Reactions: Skathon, Stick, Deleted member 4993 and 3 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Absolutely 100% yes, IMO. Friend asks me for protection, I'll protect them!

Another friend asks me for suicide ideas, then I give them tips.

Reactions: Stick, Deleted member 4993 and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
This is a hypothetical situation that you could never know the answer to. So I hold firm to my beliefs and I'd allow them to make whatever decision they wanted to without interference.

Reactions: Fragile
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
I don't understand the question. If someone asked to stay alive, and you helped them stay alive, how are you denying them any choice?

Reactions: Skathon, Sensei and Stick
Xocoyotziin

Xocoyotziin

Scorpion
Sep 5, 2020
You mean like they're having a moment of lucidity when they ask you not to let them die but they know it's fleeting and they'll soon be in a mental state where it's what they want?

Idk it depends a lot on the person but I think I'd trust their rational side more. The way I see it is they're making the choice to ask you to supersede a choice that they know they'll make later on. So you have two conflicting choices, you can't respect both, only one. It seems clear to me that it would make more sense to respect the choice that is meant to override the other and was made with the other in mind.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
The way I see it, being pro-choice goes above and beyond the right to die. It's also about respecting their choices in life even if you disagree with them, but that doesn't mean that I'll never tell them my real opinion about what I think would be best for them.

And as for your question, I don't think that I'll ever put myself in a position where I have that much responsibility over someone, but if I did, I'll tell them that it's their choice But they probably shouldn't make an impulsive decision about something that important.

Reactions: Skathon
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I would never agree to such a thing in the first place. If someone wants to die I wish them luck and leave them to it, no matter what the situation is.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
The pro-choice argument is that an individual should be allowed to do what they want with their lives either way, and it also states that you should respect whatever path they choose - hence why it is called "pro-choice". If someone wants to end their life you should respect that - because that is what they have chosen, and likewise if they want to continue living you should also respect that for the same reason.

From what can be understood from your initial post - you asked if it would still be considered a pro-choice stance if you stopped a person from commiting suicide after they have asked you to do so. Yes this would still be considered a pro-choice, because that person has chosen to change their mind; they have made a choice to continue living rather than ending their lives.