C

Cupcake

Student
Apr 8, 2018
Hi lovely SS family!

So, I know this is probably a very strange question to ask on here, but I'm wondering about it because I'm considering recovery, and have wanted a furry canine companion for a very long time. I met someone on here who is also in recovery, and we inspire each other daily to try and hang on. He has inspired me to keep on trucking, so I'm going to see how it works out.

Due to my disabilities, I need a dog that is completely trained in basic obedience on and off leash. What I am looking for is an emotional support dog to help me cope with bipolar disorder and all the symptoms that accompany it, like severe depression and anxiety and loneliness and isolation.

I could qualify for a guide dog because of my blindness, but there are so many hoops involved in getting one, and I just don't have the emotional energy to do it. Besides, I don't really NEED a guide dog, I'm more looking for a companion dog that is small in size, like a bichon fries, maltese, havanese, or something of that nature that is even tempered, affectionate, and small enough for me to be able to handle, but not too small that I might crush it if I stepped on it. I need it to be trained enough so I can take it everywhere I go that is dog friendly, which a good deal of places where I live are.

Rescues and the humane societies aren't eager to give me a dog because of my visual impairment. They seem to think that I am incapable of taking care of a dog. I've gotten passed up numerous times when applying for different dogs.

So, if there are any people on here who know how to train dogs, I am willing to pay for you to pick out the dog, socialize it, train it and send it to me once the training is complete. I live in the U.S. I just received a settlement from getting hit by a car, and although it isn't a large settlement, I would be able to commit to three thousand dollars.

Please reply to this post or PM me if you are a dog trainer and are interested in taking on this project. I know I could shop around for trainers who are local in my area, but I thought finding a trainer on here might be a better idea because you will understand my struggles better and can relate a bit, whereas most people can't besides those on here.

I know this question is kind of a longshot and there are possible scammers on here, yadda yadda, but I am a pretty good judge of character and will be able to tell who's legit and hwo isn't by the PM's I receive.

This is how I look at it. I will either find one or I won't. I'm not going to stress, it would just be nice to have a sweet, cuddly furbaby of my very own that I can enjoy life with and not feel so lonely.

Thanks, I hope you all are doing ok.

Warmly,

Cupcake

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
It's shocking that they won't give you a dog because you are visually impaired? Here a lot of blind or partially sighted people have one we call them guide dogs. They are specifically trained for this purpose. I really hope you can get a dog you should really have one already..

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Unfortunately, I personally wouldn't trust a dog that's been 'trained' by anyone other than it's owner. The dog has to accept you as the boss and will only do that if you are the one to train it. It's about understanding each other's boundaries and developing a mutual respect.
It's as much about training the owner to understand the individual animals needs as training the animal to obey and be friendly. Trainers and dog psychologists can be helpful but will just give you advice on how you train the animal, not do it for you.
You can't hand it over to anyone, have them 'train' it then have them hand it back. Even if that could work, the dog wouldn't respect you or have a bond with you.
Training and getting to know a dog is the most rewarding part of having a canine companion.
Or maybe I misunderstand, do you mean training specific to it being a care animal?

Last edited:
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
you could watch some cesar millan or victoria stilwell on youtube to get some ideas

C

Cupcake

Student
Apr 8, 2018
you could watch some cesar millan or victoria stilwell on youtube to get some ideas
Thanks for your replies everyone!

@Underscore, you have some really good points! I probably do need to be a part of the dog's training so it knows to respect me. I just don't know how to train a dog, but like @LifeAndDeath said, maybe I could watch some Caesar Millon videos and get a feel for what training a dog is like and then look for a trainer to help me.

@mediocre, I could get a guide dog, there are just so many things you have to do to get one. You have to be sent away to a guide dog school and stay there anywhere from four to six weeks to get trained on how to use the dog. Which isn't a bad thing, except I have a job now and three kids, so really I can't be gone for that long. The trainers also put their students in high anxiety circumstances so you will learn to trust your dog, but that won't be good for me because my anxiety is pretty severe already without being put in anxious situations.

If there were any guide dog schools in my hometown, I'd consider it, but I'd have to travel far away to a school, and I don't think my anxiety would permit it right now, unfortunately.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well! Thanks again for replying!

Love,

Cupcake

• Hugs
Reactions: mediocre and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Getting a dog should be really good for you, I wish I could have one. And it doesn't matter if you don't know how to train one, you can get tips, as you said and learn as you go with your new companion. Dogs are better at understanding us then we are at understanding them, so you really have to learn how to listen to what your doggie is telling you with its behaviour. It's nearly always the owner who is at fault when their are issues, I've been through that myself. It's actually a really good exercise in opening up and learning how to listen to someone else's needs rather than imposing your will. And there is no better friend than a loyal pooch.
I'd certainly be willing to let you know what I've learned (from a very difficult dog, but very lovely).