• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I'll be pushing 30 in a couple of years but I have yet to figure out what I want to do with my life or what career I'd like to have. All i've done since graduating Highschool is work the same physically taxing job. (I'm going to have some decent back problems in a few years) Simple fact is that I just can't figure out what direction to go in. I feel so indecisive about what to do. My older sibling went to college for 9 years between community college and a major one and they're insanely successful. I don't think I have the commitment to go to community college for 2-4 years. I don't like school, leaving it was 1 thing I was happy about. One last caveat is that i'm not a smart person from head injuries, learning has never been a strong suit of mine. (If this thread does not belong in the Recovery section Mods can remove it)

LastWhisper

LastWhisper

Who cares if I'm drunk?
Oct 29, 2019
Yes, the same for me. When I was in school, I thought that when I graduate I'll have a some kind of knowledge about what to do in my life, obtain some interests, etc., it didn't happen, then I thought it will when I graduate from college, it didn't. It was 4 years ago and I still have no idea about what to do next, I was pretty lucky to get a job while studying in college, so I have a few money to live for now, but it won't be that way forever. And honestly I don't believe that someday I wake up with a purpose in my life.

Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
Another wandering lost soul here.

My bachelor's degree means nothing in the corporate world. I finished college just because I wanted to have somewhat of a title.
Skills are what it matters in my area and I'm completely untrained, outdated, uninterested.

Not to mention that the last few years made me dream about working with things from other area of knowledge, which would require another graduation degree.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
Yes, I have a lack of plans for the future. I do not have the energy for anything and I lack the will to live. My existence is essentially pointless, and I dread the thought of having decades ahead of it.

Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Even if you choose a direction it could be the wrong one. Sure there are people that have a few careers in order to find the right one, but I have never experienced that kind of upward mobility. I chose the wrong direction and it's fucked me.

Community college is usually 2 or less years. It can be fun to take an array of classes...it's a good excuse to not work...but when it's over...it's over.

Reactions: Winklemate
Blackpoolbootz

Blackpoolbootz

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Apr 19, 2020
Exactly what I'm thinking tonight. Been looking through job vacancies thinking I can do that not qualified for that ect. On minimum wage UK here overworked on care industry last few months just feel life is wasted 46 years old here.

Reactions: Winklemate
EraseRewind

EraseRewind

Circling the drain
May 13, 2020
I got an undergrad degree this year, not for any reason other than to prove to myself I could do it. I'm doing a masters next in the same subject, it's pointless because of my age and past I'll never get a job.

I'm over 50 and my life has little direction, the odd occasion I get an idea but it usually amounts to very little. Depression just sucks and blows.

shy

shy

Student
Aug 23, 2020
Aimlessly drifting through life, I had dreams and aspirations in the past, but most of that just turned out to be disappointments.

Wish I had pursued a lucrative career right out of high school, if I'm going to sell my soul might as well get a good price for it.

Reactions: ncmxm
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I have a job but don't really feel like it helps in terms of self-actualization (except for money) - I still don't know what the heck I'm doing or why I am alive.
It's strange when I watch my friends and how they're always so determined/willing in taking big life decisions (going on a cruise, marriage, buying a flat) and I can't seem to find a reason/motivation to do the same.
It seems useless and/or boring to me to do all those steps (that involve a lot of work) just to be stuck in the same flat forever?
I'm weird I guess...but reading some of your answers shows me at least I'm not alone with this :).

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I am so deeply bored right now. Bored to tears. Better than suicidal I guess (thanks Prozac) but it's all so pointless

callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
You have a life and a job even?!

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
No direction. Only distractions.
Is the sense of having a direction not simply the pursuit of a goal?
Is a goal not just a special kind of distraction?
Is human life, seeing as we are cursed with self-awareness, not one long string of distractions?
Which leads one to wonder: What is so good about life if you have to distract yourself from it all the time?

babyinmyuniverse

babyinmyuniverse

Feb 22, 2020
I don't even have a job I can't work I'm so lost

again_noidea

again_noidea

Experienced
Apr 22, 2021
I'll be pushing 30 in a couple of years but I have yet to figure out what I want to do with my life or what career I'd like to have. All i've done since graduating Highschool is work the same physically taxing job. (I'm going to have some decent back problems in a few years) Simple fact is that I just can't figure out what direction to go in. I feel so indecisive about what to do. My older sibling went to college for 9 years between community college and a major one and they're insanely successful. I don't think I have the commitment to go to community college for 2-4 years. I don't like school, leaving it was 1 thing I was happy about. One last caveat is that i'm not a smart person from head injuries, learning has never been a strong suit of mine. (If this thread does not belong in the Recovery section Mods can remove it)
i lost all directions, when you are depressed or when you are unable to do the things that come naturally to you... well, then you get lost because nothing makes sense and you have no compass for your self-worth. i don't know why you lost your direction, but most i'm sure there are some things that keep you away from your natural talents. i hope you find them.
Is human life, seeing as we are cursed with self-awareness, not one long string of distractions?
Which leads one to wonder: What is so good about life if you have to distract yourself from it all the time?
What do you think about Buddhist, i mean they offer a way out..... my problem is, that i`m absolutely unsure about the whole reincarnation story. If my consciousness (in Theravada Buddhism it is "the stream of consciousness" and not a fixed soul) somehow continuous and i have to suffer in again in my next life, then i would join a monastery very quickly, but i would kill myself quite quickly if my consciousness disappears when i'm dead. Considering that my consciousness could somehow continuous irritates me a lot. I find it strange that i the Christian idea of a Hell doesn't seem to irritate me that much, somehow i find it very unlikely that this Christian hell exists. But rebirth seems somehow possible. i have to come to terms with this.

Last edited:
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Sorry for the late reply. I simply have no time.

Goals!

Yes.
Yes. The special part being - you wanna be there when it's over. Bask in your victory, savor the results or whatever. Most distractions are escapism, not seeking. There's no finding part. The goal is to prolong the distraction to hide what we already found. Direction set to GTFOH.
Yes.
What is so good about life if you have to distract yourself from it all the time?
Purposeful distractions.

Idk, you are asking the wrong guy. I think nobody has the right to answer that question since nobody includes all of the perspectives. A good life is a subjective category, an impression, of something that is mostly shaped by outside forces. If you dig what's happening to you, you'll love life. If you don't, you'll hate it.

Neurodoom

Neurodoom

This file is corrupt and cannot be opened.
Aug 13, 2019
I've worked the same menial job for years, also almost pushing 30. I'm in the position to save money and go to school to find a career that pays better and I'll probably enjoy or tolerate more than this. I just don't have any clear plan of where I would fit in the workforce that doesn't require much contact with people.