HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
The website of reference: https://samaritansnyc.org

I feel the longer I'm on SaSu the longer I slowly realize I need a safety plan in case I want to impulsively CTB (I don't trust anyone IRL with my thoughts). I don't live in New York but I live within the United States so I should be able to call them.

I've never called a hotline out of fear of police and getting sent to the ER but they explicitly state they won't call emergency services or police without expressed permission and will remain confidential even after someone CTB's, but I'm still hesitant. I'd like to hear other user's experiences with them.

I'm not actively suicidial so I might register with their wellness line before crisis but anything that won't cause an IRL intervention is good in my book, mostly.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
I have talked with them a couple times. They don't seem as bad as 988 and I don't think they get cops involved. They didn't try that with me anyway
Why don't people understand that those types of interventions do more harm than good? I guess because people are stupid mostly.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Yavannah and HereTomorrow
HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
Most likely because it's called the suicide prevention hotline, and while calling police does prevent a suicide, it often ruins the person's life, mental stability, and dignity. One study claims people are more likely to attempt suicide after forced treatment, though it doesn't cite the hotline itself.

All the lies of confidentiality when they need to know as much information as possible to assess suicide risk. However, I believe a hotline can prevent suicides when a person feels truly safe to call, hence why I looked into Samaritans NYC.

If I can also ask, while 988 is toll free, does Samaritans NYC show up on a phone bill and/or charges per minutes (limited phone plan)?

DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
It was a while back but I know i didn't have to pay anything over and above what my monthly cellphone plan costs. I don't remember if it was 1 of those 800 toll free numbers but if you have cell service it shouldn't cost extra to call them. I wouldn't have called if it did.

Reactions: HereTomorrow
O

Orange Cat

Student
Oct 19, 2023
I called them before. They don't call the EMS unless you ask them to.They are much better than calling 988. I found them to be fairly impartial. Obviously they won't tell you to do it, but they won't tell you not to do it either. They let you talk openly about your problems and even being suicidal. They really do respect your right to end your life if you want to. It's more of an opened ended conversation with them than if you call 988. 988 basically does a suicide risk assessment and calls the police if they think that you have a high risk of doing it.

The Samaritan's number does show up on your phone bill. I wasn't charged extra for the call because I used my cellphone and my plan covers all long distance calls.

If you are calling from a landline, you can call their toll free number

1 -877-870-4673

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CrystallicEyes and HereTomorrow
DoubleUp8

DoubleUp8

Gambler
Dec 14, 2023
The 988 people seem scripted and try to illicit a response where they can initiate intervention. Sometimes even a broadly worded "have u ever thought about hurting yourself" triggers it. For people who are supposed to be counseling suicidal people, it seems ignorant to frame a question that way because usually when people are suicidal they don't think of it as hurting themselves or harming themselves. They usually ask some variation of this almost immediately and if you're unwilling to tell them something they can take action on, they get you off the phone asap. It's called a crisis line but they act like being suicidal is the only possible crisis someone can have and you could be in imminent danger of death by means other than suicide but they could care less. It's a totally corrupt scam preying not only on people who call, but also American taxpayers and even the people who work answering calls. They are often well-meaning but unpaid volunteers
I have an unlimited cellphone service and never actually see a bill. Just get a text reminder a couple days b4 it's due and another text acknowledging payment when I pay. Maybe landlines are different. Been a while since I have had 1

Last edited:
  • Hmph!
  • Love
Reactions: permanently tired and HereTomorrow
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Jst fyi - lnk t/ crsis pln if nt hve 1 alrdy

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
The benefits of calling your county's help line include access to services that can help alleviate your situation. If you are looking for resources and a support system, I recommend calling them as well.

When asked if you intend to commit suicide, you can respond, "I don't want to answer your question because I don't want you calling the cops." They will explain their agency's guidelines and instead offer non-medical assistance. These helplines are not attempting to trap you and commit you to the psych ward.

lovedread

lovedread

hell is other people
Jan 2, 2020
Just called them. I told the lady on the phone that I was feeling suicidal and overwhelmed but wasn't planning to kill myself. She told me "thank you for sharing that with me…have you thought about when you're planning to take your life?" I just hung up. Is my life a fucking psychological horror movie or something. Her voice was creepy too. Maybe it was dumb for me to call with no suicide plan??

• Aww..
Reactions: permanently tired and HereTomorrow
L

LaughingGoat

Mage
Apr 11, 2024
What they say on the site looks good and hopefully that is honest. I would still ask the person on the phone if they are a mandated reporter. Even if they are volunteers, they can receive training and be designated that, which has legal implications.

HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
What they say on the site looks good and hopefully that is honest. I would still ask the person on the phone if they are a mandated reporter. Even if they are volunteers, they can receive training and be designated that, which has legal implications.
I actually haven't thought of that! While they claim confidentiality, I know certain things like CSA (not a minor anymore, but hypothetically) can trigger CPS. They are very inviting on the site, but my guard is up, hence why I began this thread.

They have a contact section via email, I'll ask them via a throwaway and share the response.

Edit: They require a phone number to contact them about inquiries?! I'm probably not going to fill out the form with that question.

Just called them. I told the lady on the phone that I was feeling suicidal and overwhelmed but wasn't planning to kill myself. She told me "thank you for sharing that with me…have you thought about when you're planning to take your life?" I just hung up. Is my life a fucking psychological horror movie or something. Her voice was creepy too. Maybe it was dumb for me to call with no suicide plan??
According to the FAQ if you call the crisis line they'll survey you about suicide regardless of reason, so that was probably why they were asking. Regardless, I wish hotline staff had more of a bedside manners type of tone. I understand they are overworked and dealing with our emotions and speaking without monotone might make it easier for them to cope as well as sounding more clear on the phone, but I'm uncomfortable from the lack of sympathy when we're in crisis.

Last edited:
Reactions: lovedread
HereTomorrow

HereTomorrow

Eternally atoning
Feb 1, 2024
*speaking with monotone, not speaking without monotone.
Ran out of time to edit the post, for I've typed it in a whim, my apologies for the mistake.

Overall, the hotline sounds like something too good to be true, but also has good intentions. To have to go out of my way to find a number that makes a promise to not traumatize its caller via IRL intervention is a bit sad, actually, very sad.

I'm very busy lately, but I definitely have a plan to register for the wellness line sometime in the near future to get a second opinion on myself. I wish there are more "I'm not in crisis but I'd like to check in on my mental health" lines, sometimes known as "warm lines".

M

mellie5

Student
Mar 26, 2023
Afaik the Samaritans are there just to listen and provide emotional support, they don't call the police or an ambulance. They are there to do what they can.

A real talk by a real psychiatrist is different and not necessarily results is spending the night at the hospital.

"I got drunk and texted my friend I can't live like this and she called the police" is very likely to get you back home on the same day

"I took 100 pills of XYZ and thought I had locked the door but someone found me" will result in getting a blood test for XYZ levels and a lot of questioning by the psychiatrist.

"Self-harm gets you locked in a hospital" btw is really not always true, it depends a lot on what goes on in the talk.

The police unfortunately are not doctors and are just not trained in psychiatry and ofc they overshoot.

Ideally, and I hope it works and is possible in your area, somebody who feels acutely suicidal should show up at the emergency (because it *is* an emergency) and a psychiatrist will see the patient and decide what to do next together with the patient.

Reactions: CrystallicEyes