F

Final_frontier

Student
Feb 23, 2019
I've been on and off many: fluoxetine, citalopram. Now on fluvoxamine, risperidone. I don't know of any damage till now. I don't know who to believe, the mainstream and public approving them or the conspiracy theorists telling psychiatry is a sham.

Reactions: Redt2go
Redt2go

Redt2go

flower child
Jan 5, 2019
I've been on and off many: fluoxetine, citalopram. Now on fluvoxamine, risperidone. I don't know of any damage till now. I don't know who to believe, the mainstream and public approving them or the conspiracy theorists telling psychiatry is a sham.
Likely a bit of truth on both sides. None is ever completely right

F

Final_frontier

Student
Feb 23, 2019
Likely a bit of truth on both sides. None is ever completely right
It sucks that ignorance on any matter can have terrible consequences. In life, it's basically survival of the smartest. Doesn't matter how innocent you are. When I was 12 and mental illness hit me, I suffered in silence for years until I went into deep depression. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have sought help right away.

J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
It sucks that ignorance on any matter can have terrible consequences. In life, it's basically survival of the smartest. Doesn't matter how innocent you are. When I was 12 and mental illness hit me, I suffered in silence for years until I went into deep depression. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have sought help right away.

Totally agree with you. And parents should look out for signs of depression in their children as it can hit any child any time. We have awareness campaigns for meningitis etc so why not depression. It's so sad :-(

F

Final_frontier

Student
Feb 23, 2019
Totally agree with you. And parents should look out for signs of depression in their children as it can hit any child any time. We have awareness campaigns for meningitis etc so why not depression. It's so sad :-(
And the fact that I was brought up religiously didn't help. I always thought that God would work some miracle at the last moment even when I was descending into the pits of hell. I still have such thoughts. It seems core beliefs are so hard to shake off.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, ThisIsTheLastNight and KiraLittleOwl
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Psychiatric medication can help a few people. BUT the way it's dished out where it's not even indicated for a condition is obscene. And high doses and combinations of meds seem to be the norm which is baffling? How on earth can someone work out what they are getting side effects from if they are having more than one drug at once.

If - a Big IF, after careful consideration - not just one meeting with a psychiatrist but a long evaluation, someone is found to have a medical condition that drugs are PROVEN to be effective for than side effects should be thoroughly discussed with a patient and low dosage initiated and progress monitored closely with written evaluation on both sides.

Reactions: Jenna and Pentobartbital
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
And the fact that I was brought up religiously didn't help. I always thought that God would work some miracle at the last moment even when I was descending into the pits of hell. I still have such thoughts. It seems core beliefs are so hard to shake off.

It took me a long time to shake off the shackles of a Catholic upbringing so you have my sympathy:-( it's a miserable burden to impose on your children

Reactions: Worthless_nobody and ThisIsTheLastNight
Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
@Korrok

although it may not reverse or ameliorate our woes, we at least have the small comfort of empathic company. It makes me very sad that ourselves and others suffer and may have to resort to permanent solutions to what should have otherwise been a manageable issue. At any rate, may those herein find peace and sweet, precious relief.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Redt2go and Jenna
Jenna

Jenna

Experienced
Nov 21, 2018
@Korrok

although it may not reverse or ameliorate our woes, we at least have the small comfort of empathic company. It makes me very sad that ourselves and others suffer and may have to resort to permanent solutions to what should have otherwise been a manageable issue. At any rate, may those herein find peace and sweet, precious relief.

I could not have said that better myself. You are right about for most it was such a maneagable issue.

M

Mybattle

Feb 27, 2019
Yes thats why I just joined... Benzo's and seroquel. Used as prescribed always listened to the doc. Sorry for long post.

I have used other drugs sporadically before and never had issues other then a hangover.

I was put on a mega dose of Ativan because of some retarded psych and have been tapering for a year because I did not even need them long term. Because the suffering was so brutal and I was looking for relief I vaped some weed which backfired because my brain was so messed up and sensitised. I had a bad reaction to the weed and got depersonalisation. Which is I think one of the worst things u can mentally endure. Id rather have depression/anxiety those are beatable from my experience. So now on top of SEVERE anxiety and deadly depression I also have depersonalisation. Which robbed me of my whole life my sense of self and all the things I used to love, they now trigger me. Not too long ago I was still able to smile, live, see family, now I dont even know who or what I am due to the dp/dr. Granted the worst part I did myself with the cannabis. But I have used cannabis many times in the past and was always good. If it wasnt for the dirty drugs they gave me long term without good instruction I would be ok right now.

I think there are no worse things in the world then Psych drug (benzo) withdrawal and depersonalisation.

U can cut of my right leg right now while I am wake with no anesthesia to give me my brain back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marawa, Pentobartbital, SMarie1204 and 2 others
Jenna

Jenna

Experienced
Nov 21, 2018
^^^^ I say the same thing about cutting off a limb to get my brain back. People don't understand.

Reactions: mellow, Mybattle and Redt2go
G

Goldentwenty

Feb 7, 2019
I was prescribed anti psychotics when i was not paychotic. I was more down to earth than anyone else i know. Then the anti psychotic medication caused schizophrenia!! Once a person goes on anti psychotics their brain adjusts to it and then they cant get off it.
Anti psychotic medication causes schizophrenia in healthy people. Its fucked. The hard drugs and harsh system made me sick. When i was young and extemely healthy with no problems whatsoever. THE MEDICAL SYSTEM MADE ME SICK.

Reactions: NoOneKnows and Redt2go
SMarie1204

SMarie1204

Feb 25, 2019
I've been on Xanax for so long. Sure I'm anxious person but looking back what I needed was support and confidence from my family. I've been through withdrawal seizures, my short term memory is nonexistent and my hands shake first thing in the morning. It's embarrassing and very hard to maintain a job when you're in withdrawal because you took too many that month. I'm not a person anymore, and I don't even remember the person I used to be. Even if I quit (I'm so used to cold turkey xanax withdrawal it's actually manageable at this point), I find it hard to speak, think, go outside, respond to messages. There's no way a responsible psychiatrist doesn't know this but we don't talk about it. I'll literally be on it until the day I die, and if I'm cut off then I would just walk into traffic, I can't live like that.

Reactions: Marawa and Redt2go
Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
@Mybattle @Goldentwenty @SMarie1204 @Jenna

what you all describe makes me sick. Not at any of you, but the fact that we as patients were taken advantage of by a veritable industry (psychiatry) fraught with corruption, ignorance and a nearly universal lack of respect for life.

I see it as no different than the lobotomies of old: they were performed under the least amount of scrutiny or testing, were seen as a "quick fix" and left thousands of people displaced if not utterly destroyed. And just like then, when these drugs are incrementally revealed to have far-reaching consequences unworthy of such generalised prescription, there will be no culpability.

A very wise person once wrote that so much as politicians ought to have fought in a war before voting on a declaration thereof, so too should psychiatrists take a drug before prescribing it.

• Aww..
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Journeytoletgo, NoOneKnows and 5 others
SMarie1204

SMarie1204

Feb 25, 2019
@Mybattle @Goldentwenty @SMarie1204 @Jenna
I see it as no different than the lobotomies of old: they were performed under the least amount of scrutiny or testing, were seen as a "quick fix" and left thousands of people displaced if not utterly destroyed. And just like then, when these drugs are incrementally revealed to have far-reaching consequences unworthy of such generalised prescription, there will be no culpability..

It's a rude awakening when the people who you were taught over and over again to trust let you down. Doctors, family, police. Life is nothing like I thought it would be when I was a kid. I learned about stranger danger, but not about doctor danger or addiction or that even policemen will check you out when you're underage. It's heartbreaking when you wake up one day and realize there is no one in this world looking out for you, and everything you were taught was just thoughtless repetition. I appreciate what you said a lot, really. Thank you.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, NoOneKnows, Worthless_nobody and 1 other person
Flutter

Flutter

Feb 25, 2019
It's a contributing factor.
I was depressed and anxious in high school and my therapist recommended I see a psychiatrist since there's family history of more severe mental illness. He was quick to prescribe atypical antipsychotics as a preventative measure. This was just before the black box warnings came out and no one really monitored the use of atypical antipsychotics in teenagers or knew the long term effects. The medications made my depression much worse and gave me flat affect. My psychiatrist used the opportunity to prescribe more medications until I eventually became a zombie.
Years later, I found out the open payments website, where you can look up how much money doctors receive from pharmaceutical companies, usually by mentioning or prescribing certain medications to patients, and giving speeches about medications, etc. That jerk made more money per year in "gratis" than the average middle class household. Not surprisingly, all the medications he pushed on me were made by the two companies who paid him the most. I know I'm not the only one affected by this pathetic excuse of a person. I have no idea how he lives with himself and sleeps at night.

This isn't the original website I used to figure out the gratis he received, but it seems to have replaced it. If you're in the US, I highly recommend checking to see how much your doctor has received from pharmaceutical companies:
https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov

Crimsonskye

Crimsonskye

Aug 28, 2018
Mirtazapine made me fat so now I'm starving myself.

Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
It's a rude awakening when the people who you were taught over and over again to trust let you down. Doctors, family, police. Life is nothing like I thought it would be when I was a kid. I learned about stranger danger, but not about doctor danger or addiction or that even policemen will check you out when you're underage. It's heartbreaking when you wake up one day and realize there is no one in this world looking out for you, and everything you were taught was just thoughtless repetition. I appreciate what you said a lot, really. Thank you.

You're very welcome. It breaks my heart that we had to undergo these "revelations" on our own. Yet we live in a civilisation where critical thinking is only selectively appreciated: if it means someone isn't getting money, perverse satisfaction in their work or feels threatened, that's when the bright mellow flame of inquiry is extinguished!

• Aww..
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, NoOneKnows and Redt2go
EvilForProfit

EvilForProfit

empty
Feb 27, 2019
I'm here only because of psych drugs. How is this possible? Has anyone ever recovered from the lobotomy feeling? It's not going away

Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
@EvilForProfit

When you refer to "lobotomy feeling," would you happen to mean brain fog? Some also refer to it as chemo brain. It's the feeling where you can barely string together words, feel thicker than usual or have what feel like cognitive delays.

In my research, some do get better over time, some get used to it, others don't recover. How long has this been going on? May I ask what you were/are on?

• Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can and EvilForProfit
EvilForProfit

EvilForProfit

empty
Feb 27, 2019
@EvilForProfit

When you refer to "lobotomy feeling," would you happen to mean brain fog? Some also refer to it as chemo brain. It's the feeling where you can barely string together words, feel thicker than usual or have what feel like cognitive delays.

In my research, some do get better over time, some get used to it, others don't recover. How long has this been going on? May I ask what you were/are on?
It is not brain fog I had that before. I was injected with invega antipsychotic for a dispute with parents in the psych ward.. it's now been 8 months it's just like my brain isn't there I can't explain it like I have no inside anymore I don't understand how it possible

Reactions: mellow and Redt2go
Flutter

Flutter

Feb 25, 2019
I'm here only because of psych drugs. How is this possible? Has anyone ever recovered from the lobotomy feeling? It's not going away

I recovered somewhat, but sometimes I wish I didn't. I was still extremely depressed, so the only emotions I did feel were negative and they were dialed up to a 10/10. It was like feeling them for the first time. It does settle down after some time, but I'm still somewhat absent minded and out of it.

We crave emotion when we're numb and then we want to be numb when we feel emotion. Ironic, no?

EvilForProfit

EvilForProfit

empty
Feb 27, 2019
I recovered somewhat, but sometimes I wish I didn't. I was still extremely depressed, so the only emotions I did feel were negative and they were dialed up to a 10/10. It was like feeling them for the first time. It does settle down after some time, but I'm still somewhat absent minded and out of it.

We crave emotion when we're numb and then we want to be numb when we feel emotion. Ironic, no?
Well it's good to hear you recovered. That's somewhat true, but for me I loved emotion but I had just gone through a break up. They diagnosed me because I was really hurt from the breakup and I was crying out of control. Besides this kind of short fit I really loved my emotions and I want them back, life is meaningless without them I don't even feel human at all

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, NoOneKnows, Redt2go and 1 other person
Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
@EvilForProfit

I've never been given the invega injection. Have you consulted others who have been in your position/given invega? There are other forums such as survivingantidepressants that may be able to help you better understand your predicament. I would also suggest contacting David Healy of RxISK as well. You can also try plugging in the adverse reaction and invega into a search engine and see what comes up. Even better, you can try looking for studies involving the drug on PubMed and see if anything pops up there.

Given what you've described, have you given thought to concepts such as derealisation and depersonalisation? These two are very real adverse drug reactions that can persist after a substance has been used.

• Hugs
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can
Edrudd

Edrudd

Student
Feb 24, 2019
Evilforprofit go to the recovering from invega sustenta thread in bluelight. Wish you the best. I know how you are feeling i was like you

DivorceIsMyWhy

DivorceIsMyWhy

Feb 27, 2019
SSRI's are known to have a high rate of side effects. Sexual dysfunction being one of the highest.

Celexa (generic: Citalopram) did not work well for me. And withdrawal from it caused "brain zaps" and feelings of imbalance, and loss of clear headed thinking.

However, SSRI's can be very effective for some people. You should consult your doctor.

But then again, "you can exercise it away" was less than effective too. I would exercise my ass in circles looking for relief and to fill the gaping hole in my soul. Never worked. <shrug>

How could I have avoided depression before it began? Staying the fuck away from lawyers and family law. These assholes ruin families and lives everyday. And are paid to do so (fucked up, right?). They took away everything in life that I brought me joy and happiness like Greedy Thieves. Then asked for a web site recommendation. Unbelievable.

#DivorceIsMyWhy