• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
I just got into the series in the following months, finally got my VR set up and finished HL : Alyx in 12.2 hours lul, it was so much fun.
If so, what makes you interested in it??

Half-Life really gave me a reason to live, might wanna stick around for Half-Life 3 :)))

Reactions: Travis Pickle
Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
Loved 1 (+ dlcs) & 2 (+ episodes), sadly don't have the money for vr. Sometimes I still look for mods for HL1 on steam, incredible how people still create content for a 22 years old game

K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
Loved 1 (+ dlcs) & 2 (+ episodes), sadly don't have the money for vr. Sometimes I still look for mods for HL1 on steam, incredible how people still create content for a 22 years old game
Awesome, and I understand. Someone ported hl 1 into alyx and I played around with it, the combat is really unforgiving lol.
Modders always keep these games living.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I loved the original, it was a revelation. Finally FPS AI that wasn't just cannon fodder. I loved the way the marines laid down cover fire for each other and shouted "Shit!" when you dropped a grenade at their feet. I played all the official expansions and unofficial mods too, including 'They Hunger' and the western themed one.
I tried to get into HL2 but for some reason it just didn't feel the same.

Reactions: 262653 and Kat!
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
I loved the original, it was a revelation. Finally FPS AI that wasn't just cannon fodder. I loved the way the marines laid down cover fire for each other and shouted "Shit!" when you dropped a grenade at their feet. I played all the official expansions and unofficial mods too, including 'They Hunger' and the western themed one.
I tried to get into HL2 but for some reason it just didn't feel the same.
HL was such an industry changer, I love it for that exact reason as well. The AI were coordinated and seemed less predictable than the other games of the era.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
HL was such an industry changer, I love it for that exact reason as well. The AI were coordinated and seemed less predictable than the other games of the era.
It was the first horror/survival FPS I played and it felt very immersive and actually got my heart racing. Shame I never got into the sequel though, I've heard it was really good. I moved over to RPGs at the time though.

Reactions: Kat!
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
It was the first horror/survival FPS I played and it felt very immersive and actually got my heart racing. Shame I never got into the sequel though, I've heard it was really good. I moved over to RPGs at the time though.
Oh yeah.
I believe Wolfenstein came first, then Doom or Quake. HL used the Quake engine to make a unique shooter-like game. I love the combination of genres and it was done so well.
I haven't gotten around to playing the second one but it seems less interesting than HL 1 honestly :/

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I really liked the original. Still remember those nasty turrets. And that difficult surface fight with the military, when the action music plays, right after the big elevator. I loved portals and Xen realm, especially Xen realm. It looked so bizarre in comparison to the rest of the game. The boss fight felt very bleak and sinister to me.
I liked Opposing Force too. especially new weapons. Iron wrench, reducing foes to smithereens. Portal gun. Barnacle gun! My absolute favorite.

I liked HL2 and Episode One. The graphics at the time were amazing. And the gravity gun! And the sound effects of that plasma/zero energy ball, the when it's shoots from the plasma rifle, when it rapidly bounces from surfaces, and when it eventually explodes.
Zombies... poison headcrabs still gives me creeps, and the thing that carries them is even more creepy.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Oh yeah.
I believe Wolfenstein came first, then Doom or Quake. HL used the Quake engine to make a unique shooter-like game. I love the combination of genres and it was done so well.
I haven't gotten around to playing the second one but it seems less interesting than HL 1 honestly :/

Half-Life runs on the GoldSource ("GoldSrc") which is a modified version of the Quake engine; I played the Half-Life Alpha a few months back and saw left over content from the first Quake game - you can definately see where the games roots come from. However Valve did not want to make a straight up successor and did not want to make an arena shooter either; they wanted to change the mechanics and add in their own - hence using the modified GoldSrc instead of the base engine. Also I believe Half-Life itself was partly inspired by Quake in terms of the theme and/or plot too as they share some similarities - a protagonist that travels to another plane/dimension/existence to fight a "great evil". The difference being that in Quake that "great evil" is a Cthulhu-ish Eldritch-like abomination, in Half-Life most of the hostile forces and antagonists are aliens and some biomechanoids, but they still did leave in some of that Eldritch theming that Quake had - just not to the same extent.

Quake itself was inspired from Doom. Some of the developers that worked on the original Doom also contributed to Quake too. You could say that the original games in these three franchises are spiritual relatives, but not so much the sequels - which have went their own way, and I do not say that in a bad way.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Oh yeah.
I played Wolf first (was seriously addicted to it) the Doom and Doom 2, then Heretic, then Quake 2 plus a bit of Unreal Tournament. I also dabbled in the Jedi Knight games and briefly in the reworked Wolfenstein game.

Wolf3D seems so ancient and dated now, but at the time it felt like immersive twitch gaming to me.
Half-Life runs on the GoldSource ("GoldSrc") which is a modified version of the Quake engine; I played the Half-Life Alpha a few months back and saw left over content from the first Quake game - you can definately see where the games roots come from. However Valve did not want to make a straight up successor and did not want to make an arena shooter either; they wanted to change the mechanics and add in their own - hence using the modified GoldSrc instead of the base engine. Also I believe Half-Life itself was partly inspired by Quake in terms of the theme and/or plot too as they share some similarities - a protagonist that travels to another plane/dimension/existence to fight a "great evil". The difference being that in Quake that "great evil" is a Cthulhu-ish Eldritch-like abomination, in Half-Life most of the hostile forces and antagonists are aliens and some biomechanoids, but they still did leave in some of that Eldritch theming that Quake had - just not to the same extent.

Quake itself was inspired from Doom. Some of the developers that worked on the original Doom also contributed to Quake too. You could say that the original games in these three franchises are spiritual relatives, but not so much the sequels - which have went their own way, and I do not say that in a bad way.
I didn't realise all that, thanks for the info, was interesting.

There is also this:

And I'm tempted.

Last edited: