• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

shy

shy

Student
Aug 23, 2020
I have a mandatory internship coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll have to interact with a bunch of people, deal with high stress situations and a slew of other shit that isn't going to be "anxiety friendly". I know I can get through it by taking a few meds, but it won't be pretty.

I have a bunch of thoughts about my future, like how am I supposed to function in the workplace, if the prospect of a two week long internship already freaks me out this much?!

I'm tired of having anxiety control my life, but on the other hand I wish I had chosen a career path more suited for someone as anxious as me.

I'm unsure if I'll ever be able to live a normal life.

Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
Starting out in a work or other social situation is usually the worst part of it.

I almost gave up on all goals of working years ago and once I finally got a job, I just stayed quiet mostly. I'm just known there as quiet and after many months I'd occasionally join people out or something. It's many years later and I'm still the quiet one, even my voice is quiet when I do engage. Anxiety about work is still there but it's manageable now, for me. Depends where it is, maybe.

I hope you remember to calm your mind a few times during the day. Remember if something happens where you're not sure what to do, they're not going to kill you or send you to jail (not that I know what you're interning for) at worst you could have a memory years later of 'oh I made a mistake or two when starting out'.

Reactions: shy
shiroiuu

shiroiuu

Mar 11, 2023
I have a mandatory internship coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll have to interact with a bunch of people, deal with high stress situations and a slew of other shit that isn't going to be "anxiety friendly". I know I can get through it by taking a few meds, but it won't be pretty.

I have a bunch of thoughts about my future, like how am I supposed to function in the workplace, if the prospect of a two week long internship already freaks me out this much?!

I'm tired of having anxiety control my life, but on the other hand I wish I had chosen a career path more suited for someone as anxious as me.

I'm unsure if I'll ever be able to live a normal life.
Anxiety is a bitch for the most part, I have no experiences with medications and how effective they are but I can at least say (take what I say with a grain of salt) that the simple solution to getting over anxiety or even progressing towards dealing with anxiety is just to fake it till you make it, and by that I meant by trying to be confident, think about people who you're able to be yourself around with and just tone it down with other random strangers you might encounter across the street and happen to bump into you or for a job interview and sum like that. It's difficult asf and in all honesty it took me a LONG time to gain even near the level of confidence I have now when speaking to people. It all comes down to how you portray yourself and understanding how to read people to a degree BUT to keep it simple. Fake being confident until you actually make it. Simple concept, hard execution.
I
Anxiety is a bitch for the most part, I have no experiences with medications and how effective they are but I can at least say (take what I say with a grain of salt) that the simple solution to getting over anxiety or even progressing towards dealing with anxiety is just to fake it till you make it, and by that I meant by trying to be confident, think about people who you're able to be yourself around with and just tone it down with other random strangers you might encounter across the street and happen to bump into you or for a job interview and sum like that. It's difficult asf and in all honesty it took me a LONG time to gain even near the level of confidence I have now when speaking to people. It all comes down to how you portray yourself and understanding how to read people to a degree BUT to keep it simple. Fake being confident until you actually make it. Simple concept, hard execution.
I can't really comment on your career path side of things since I know that's what the other half of the thread is talking about, it's hard for me to answer that part since I myself actually question what I wanna do for my future. I'll say just to not bother worrying about what other people might think of you if they keep pressuring you to be this or that or have that level of expectations upon you. Set your own expectations, set your own goals, if you can't live up to your expectations then take it slow and try again. End of the day what you do is not based off the decisions and expectations that your peers have into you, it's your own choice at the end of the day.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: shy