Mixo

Mixo

Blue
Aug 2, 2020
This discussion is inspired by @OrcWitch's thread comparing child raising to baking a cake.

On child abuse: "It's like knowing a language. If you've spoken one language your whole life, that's all you know. You can want to speak another language but until you learn how, you'll always go back to what you know."

I once heard this metaphor from a 90's songwriter Jewel. She said it once in an interview with Howard Stern when asked about her experiences of child abuse growing up. Her father was a drunk and beat her, her mother ran out on her family (she talks about it specifically in the video @ 30:45). She says, "Until you learn how to speak a new language, you're just going to go back to what you know." It's a bit like saying if you're a native French speaker and you want to speak English, but you never set about taking lessons or trying to find ways to learn, you're eventually going to wind up going back to speaking French. As someone who grew up in an intensely emotionally abusive household, I related so much to her story.

If parents only know one way to deal with children - through abusive tactics, that's what they'll do eventually, even if they want desperately to avoid it.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: markimobzzdeasui, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 12 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I hope there are exceptions. I know my sister screams at my niece and it bothers me. I treat my online kids better but they're adults.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Mixo and 1 other person
Mixo

Mixo

Blue
Aug 2, 2020
I hope there are exceptions. I know my sister screams at my niece and it bothers me. I treat my online kids better but they're adults.
I'm pretty sure my sibling does the same with their children too. It's hard to watch that, isn't it? I always feel tempted to say something, but I know it would start a nuclear war.

markimobzzdeasui

markimobzzdeasui

Life is a cruel joke
Oct 24, 2021
It's very true but there are exceptions to this as well. I was raised by two narcissistic people with many other such abusive family members. We always carry out our programmed behavior from our own childhood until we become self aware and decide to embark on that healing journey if it's possible. But I truly believe in today's world, this is used as a big excuse by such abusive people and even society alike. Healing is very painful and a long non linear journey for both the victim and the abusive parents if they are honest about themselves. Otherwise even after knowing of their abusive behavior, abusive and narcissistic parents continue being them and soon this becomes a generational trauma which is too impossible to break from. Although there are a lot of parents as well who realizes this and try to deprogramme from their childhood shit. Maybe i am biased but I think choice is there

Reactions: Mixo