Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
Article in Spanish

INTERNET

Prosecutor's Office initiates investigation into Uruguayan allegedly linked to a website that encourages suicide

The site contains explicit instructions on how to die and encourages users to take their own lives, according to The New York Times.

Tuesday, December 21, 2021 5:00 PM

608979d7c2a92
Person in front of computer, depressed. Photo: Archive.

Following a note published in the New York Times weeks ago, the Uruguayan Police informed the 11th shift prosecutor for Flagrancia, Cecilia Bonsigniore, about the case of a young Uruguayan who allegedly owns a website that encourages suicide .

The investigation is "very primary", said the Director of Communications of the Prosecutor's Office, Javier Benech, and it is a "complex" issue, given that in Uruguay Article 315 of the Penal Code requires that a suicide actually take place in order to be able to charge someone for the crime of "assisting suicide."

ARTICLE 315
Whoever determines another to commit suicide or helps him commit it, if
death occurs, will be punished with six months in prison to six years in prison.

This maximum can be surpassed up to the limit of twelve years, when the crime is committed with respect to a minor under eighteen years of age, or a subject of intelligence or will depressed by mental illness or by the abuse of alcohol or the use of narcotics.

In this sense, the Prosecutor's Office expressed its willingness to cooperate if it receives any type of request from abroad for international cooperation .

According to The New York Times, the Uruguayan investigated and a US citizen started the website in 2018, in which they give explicit instructions on how to die .

As reported by the New York media, in the public forums of the users page they discuss "hanging, poison, weapons and gas", as well as suicide plans, messages of encouragement to those who want to comply with them and pride in the members who take their own lives.

The New York Times identified 45 website users who committed suicide in the United States, the United Kingdom, Italy, Canada and Australia, ranging in age from 16 to 58. More than 500 members even wrote "goodbye threads", in which they announced how and when they planned to commit suicide, after which they never published again.

-----------------

There is no end to this.. also wasn't sure where to post this so i posted it in Off-Topic..

• Aww..
  • Informative
Reactions: GentleJerk, demuic, Depressed Cat and 9 others
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I hope he doesn't get into any trouble.

• Love
Reactions: Foresight, Manaaja, Depressed Cat and 5 others
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I hope he doesn't get into any trouble.
Me too.. we all know this forum is completely legal ,its frustrating that this is the way things sre tho

Reactions: Depressed Cat and WrongPlaceWrongTime
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
what about google that allows the website to be there? these people know they can't go after big tech so they focus their effort on a small community

Reactions: Depressed Cat and WrongPlaceWrongTime
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
We're probably going to get a ton of random articles blaming almost every new suicide on this website huh? I don't feel like giving this article any clicks, is there any proof the person was actually on this site? I don't remember anyone even saying they were from Uruguay but they could have been lurking so who knows.

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
We're probably going to get a ton of random articles blaming almost every new suicide on this website huh? I don't feel like giving this article any clicks, is there any proof the person was actually on this site? I don't remember anyone even saying they were from Uruguay but they could have been lurking so who knows.
I think the Uruguayan (I don't even know if that's how they identify) they are referring to is either of the previous admins, not a random member.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc, Simba and WrongPlaceWrongTime
P

Pallf

I'm tired
May 27, 2018
I don't like the media stirring up outrage like this. We aren't stupid. We know suicide tends to hurt the ones around us, but we're also in pain too. Talk about treatment resistant depression, lack of access to quality mental health care, poverty, illness, injuries, variables that we don't have much control over.
Of course if they do too many articles on this website too often, people will just start glossing over the articles and they'll stop writing them.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime
gr1lledcheese

gr1lledcheese

Student
Dec 18, 2021
If memory serves, I believe the NYT article said that one of the owners of this site was from Uruguay.

• Wow
Reactions: LastFlowers, Simba, Dr Iron Arc and 1 other person
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
yea the Uruguay is 1 of previous owners.. those articles keep on doxxing the previous owners ,like they didnt do anything bad like did they murder anyone ? No ! This sucks tho ,as usual
I don't like the media stirring up outrage like this. We aren't stupid. We know suicide tends to hurt the ones around us, but we're also in pain too. Talk about treatment resistant depression, lack of access to quality mental health care, poverty, illness, injuries, variables that we don't have much control over.
Of course if they do too many articles on this website too often, people will just start glossing over the articles and they'll stop writing them.
I dont think they'll stop writing bout it.. there's never gonna be an end to this but i really hope there will be one..

Reactions: LastFlowers and Dr Iron Arc
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
"Another day, another article" - the article dates back from December, 21st @Simba.

People are already stressed enough like that, it's no use being more emotional.

Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
"Another day, another article" - the article dates back from December, 21st @Simba.

People are already stressed enough like that, it's no use being more emotional.
Then why FT26 has posted it like hours ago ? Maybe im missunderstood everything

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
fixthe26 retweets old tweets sometimes to stress people out. I am sad to see its impact on members

• Aww..
Reactions: demuic and Simba
justsayin

justsayin

Jan 30, 2021
This looks similar to another article:

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/interpol.79655/

Reactions: Simba
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
I went on Google today and type in "what over the counter medication can I die by" It brought up a bunch of websites with the names of OTC medications and the reactions you will get from taking them. SO wTF is the difference between this site (which actually DOES help people survive suicide) and a site that tells you what meds to take to kill yourself? People are so fucking stupid. This site is keeping me alive. This site and the people on here who listen to me are my reasons for living along with my cat.

Reactions: demuic, Dr Iron Arc, Crazy4u and 1 other person
P

Pallf

I'm tired
May 27, 2018
I went to the fix the 26 website to get more info on them. One, I'm not happy that they set up shop in my state.
Two, I think the founder of the site should've gotten grief therapy after the loss of their child.
Three. Getting rid of the 26 words that apparently allows this place to exist would mean a profoundly different internet, and I very much doubt most of the country wants that.
I understanding they're hurting, but the kid who used this website to find an end was hurting too.

Reactions: Simba
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I went to the fix the 26 website to get more info on them. One, I'm not happy that they set up shop in my state.
Two, I think the founder of the site should've gotten grief therapy after the loss of their child.
Three. Getting rid of the 26 words that apparently allows this place to exist would mean a profoundly different internet, and I very much doubt most of the country wants that.
I understanding they're hurting, but the kid who used this website to find an end was hurting too.
And just to clarify their sons/daughters were not kids.. they were of legal age.. they had every right to choose to ctb.. they arent things.. they are not peoples properties that someone can just command them whats allowed and what's not allowed..

Reactions: Crazy4u
E

EliphasBlackwood

Nov 27, 2021
.. I keep seeing accusations of this forum encouraging people to CTB. Now I only joined this forum late last year so I have no idea what the state of this place was before but I've never seen anyone encourage anyone else to harm themselves.

Reactions: Crazy4u